Vacation Bible School. YAY!

Discussion of Christianity and other religious systems. How can we explain our faith to Christians? How can you merge your faith in Jesus with your belief in the metaphysical?
JonnyRoXXX

Re: Vacation Bible School. YAY!

Post by JonnyRoXXX »

Sorry to resurrect this old thread... pun not intended.

I went through the same thing, having Christianity stuffed down my throat at a young age. But my parents didn't care about my beliefs, it was my fa late father's family.

We would go to the church they went to because the TOLD us to. We kids had to listen to them and not set a toe out of line or else the woman I no longer call an aunt would skew the story into her favor.

It all came to a head when I was elev. I had brought my friend who was raised Wiccan to the service because, well, it was kids night and they always had really good food catered on those nights.

We walk in, and my friend's pentacle falls out of her shirt. No harm, until the woman saw it. She just sat there and stared for the whole beginning of the service.

We go over to the classroom, and proceed to get the whole "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" spiel. And then the woman tries to perform an exorcism on my friend...

We both run off and hide for the hour in the church bathroom playing marbles and laughing at my aunt.

We sit there, and then decide to go across the street to the park there. That's when she told me about her beliefs more, and then I decided that was what's for me. We go back, check in with my parents (by this time the service was over) and go to the common area where the food was, walk straight by my aunt who was saying a prayer over the food and started making ourselves plates.

We were just kids back then. Nine years later, I still believe what my friend taught me. She sadly took her own life, but without her introducing me to this beautiful path, I may have done the same.
We didn't start the fire, it was always burning since the worlds been turning- Billy Joel
Kassandra

Re: Vacation Bible School. YAY!

Post by Kassandra »

Wow, what a story. Condolences on the loss of your good friend. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Return to “Christianity and Other Religious Faiths”