Background on Different Forms of Witchcraft

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Stephanie Mae wrote:They do, hopefully I will be there someday. I'm still trying to learn how to translate Irish Gaelic correctly, sometimes my translated words are pretty embarassing.
Hahaha omg its so hard hey, my sister in law is trying to teach me... sometimes it seems like they leave words out hahaha
Syndica

Post by Syndica »

my brother knows how to speak it but it's funny when does it with a pretend accent. LOL :lol:
snowflake

Post by snowflake »

Alyssia wrote:Aaah, what do you guys think about covens??
Do you think they're a good idea or why do you think they're not for you?

Hehe I feel like a psychologist. *pulls out notepad and pen*

And how does that make you feel? blue_dozey

Lol, im an idiot.

no, but seriously *serious face*

xx
It may be difficult for some people to find a coven. For instance I live in a small town, and I wouldn't have a clue who else around here might be interested in the same things I am. Especially living in the Bible belt. I think it all depends on what feels right to the individual too, whether to be a solitary witch or be in a coven.
Codex

Post by Codex »

Witch13, it wasn't that anyone offended anyone. It was just something that I had noticed in the witchcraft society. Most people think that it's all one thing, and don't understand that all the traditions are different and come from many different traditions. I just thought everyone should be aware of that.
That's not the only issue. There's a woeful ignorance as well about the actual history of modern witchcraft. When I'm dealing with students, it's something I usually go over. There's a lot of myths that float around about things like the Burning Times that are much beloved and which foster an incredibly annoying Martyr Complex, but are exactly that- myths.

Just like it's important to realize that Jesus probably never existed and was simply an archetype, so to do Pagans need to remember that some of their dearly held myths are exactly that.

On the coven issue, I'm not a Wiccan and so coven life isn't so much for me. I'm a Chaos Magician and a bit of a TechnoPagan, neither of which lend themselves so easily to group work. I enjoy my mostly solitary practice, though I do keep in touch with students past and present, and that is really special. Watching how their paths evolve, what they decide is their magical calling, and things like that, are really special. Most of them are solitary, though a few ended up making a group of their own when they found that their energies meshed really well. I don't particularly want to be a part of it, though they've asked, but it's great to watch them learn and grow together.

The best part of the teaching is the watching the kids fly off on their own, knowing they've had a good start. ^__^ That's more important to me than coven work.
Syndica

Post by Syndica »

what is a techno pagan exactly? and btw don't be mean to me.
Riyoki24

Re: Background on Different Forms of Witchcraft

Post by Riyoki24 »

I'm more I guess solitary. I create my own spells since my essential energy works w/ the stars. I use a lot of energy from the stars as I'm confident in that energy type. I work w/ my friends who use different types of elemental energy as I do as well. But mostly in protecting each other. We are not much of a coven. And don't have strict rituals. We do things based on our intuition, psychic feedback of the spirits, energy routing, and to stay neutral as possible unless we are directly attacked on. I'm more of a very strong telepathic both in the living and dead.

My friends say my energy working w/ the stars directly is kind of extraterrestrial.
IvyLee

Re: Background on Different Forms of Witchcraft

Post by IvyLee »

i'm completely solitary. i've only had really two "students" really. i've studied for about 7 years now i think? i lost track. DX i've picked up a ton of information over the years, and debunked a lot of myths i thought were true. but coven life just isn't for me. it's not because i'm a knowitall, or that i think i know the right way over another. actually, i love that there are 10 million different paths, because religion talk is one of my favorite pastimes. (i love hearing different point of views. i even feel this way with christians. everyone believes something different, no matter the path.)

one "student" is a friend who is still confused as to whether its evil or not, and asks me questions once in a while about what something is, or how it works. she's really open minded, but she also feels it's not for her. i just answer some curiosity questions from her, so i wouldn't call her a witch in any way. nor a christian. she's just... there, i guess? XD

the other "student" is actually my fiance, soontobehusband, who doesn't necessarily have questions so much as just wants to practice spells and learn about magick. he understands how it works mostly (he's a science nerd, so he assumes it's mindpower, which most of it in my opinion, is.) i even got him set up with a bunch of notebooks so he can keep down his own information in a multi-volume grimoire. if he ever gets stuck on anything, he'll ask me, and i'll try my best to help. but there are just some things i don't know, like most of what druidism is, or shamanism. (hard to find information on them! holy cow!)

and yes, you are right guardian, about all the symbols and colors. every belief has a different system. the ones that are solitary like me tend to go with the simplest way to remember what they mean to US as individuals. and then there are others, who associate them with something else meaningful. it's fascinating!

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”