A guide to coming out of the broom closet.

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
Josh

A guide to coming out of the broom closet.

Post by Josh »

I've been haunted since i was 15, and converted to Wicca- i was absolutely terrified about telling my family, and my friends, that i was a Wiccan. When i told my parents, they where okay with it. 2 years of stress- For nothing!

So, I've made this guide to help you come out of the broom closet to your friends and family, Its short and simple.

1. What religion are you parents? If they are hardcore church goers, then i wouldn't recommend telling them. They might over react, or I am not kidding, try to have you Exorcised. (That happened to my friend, no joke.)
2. What is there personality like? Are they reasonable? Are they are easily angered?

Those are the most important aspects, In the end, it all depends on how tolerant they are.

Now, comes the hard part. Telling them. (Assuming that they are tolerant enough to accept it.)

When you try to tell your parents, I'd go the the parent you trust the most first. As for telling them, that's your part. You can either just go point blank, and say "Im a Wiccan", or (This usually works the best), Tell your parents that you want to explore religions, and find which path is best for you.

I really hope this guide is helpful, as i know first hand how tough telling your parents can be. Good luck!
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

A little tip too as i've helped a few young people tell their parents (as well as telling my own when i was young), using the word "pagan" can sometimes be a little less scary for them than "wiccan" or "witch...

Hope this adds to your help =)

Pix
The Crest Of Darkness

Post by The Crest Of Darkness »

My family all ready knows I love Witchcraft and anything supernatural so I think they would just laugh or be like wtf so I am not going to tell them at all.
vasogoma

Post by vasogoma »

Well, I studied all my life in a catholic only for girls private school so you can imagine how things in my house work. Also I am not sure how my psychiatrist will take it when I tell her about my believes because I don't want her to think this affects me in a negative way, because it is the exact opposite. Since I discovered Wicca I've been much more happy with myself. Any good ideas on how I should tell them?
akumaxkami

Post by akumaxkami »

I was always of the opinion that one's faith was a personal thing and didn't need to shared. I never told anyone about my religious or spiritual beliefs unless asked directly - it was never any of their business.

My mom knows I'm a witch now, because I've been into that stuff for many years and she's always played an active role in my life. Most of my friends don't know because it's not important and they wouldn't care anyways.
cloud

Post by cloud »

:( i dont want to tell my parents im alone enough or feel alone(example u could be on a street or a hall way in a high school full of people and feel alone the only one that its how i feel) i dont want to loose them.im ok with them not knowing i dont think they need to know. then again it could just be me being over dramatic thats what they would blame it on tthey say my drama has finally killed my sanity but wat do they know they dont know me like they think they do :x

this post probably makes me sound crazy good i truly believe i am and sound it but wat is crazy really is it a label that people give people the dont understand that have futuristic imaginetion this i can not anwser
yeah yeah yeah im a kid but arnt we all
Aura_Moonmist

Post by Aura_Moonmist »

I converted to Wicca when I was 13 when I started seeing spirits around me all the time and started reading auras. My mom saw it coming and supported my decision. I was raised in a very open-minded family, and my mom thinks any religion that doesn't hurt others is a fine one to practice. We've talked about it, read up on Wicca, and she's even taken me to get supplies. :D I still have restrictions though. I can't have anything that has to do with Wicca where my grandmother (who is the definition of a Bible thumper) can dig it up. I really didn't "come out" to my parents, they were with me all along. I wish luck to all of you in telling your parents. :)

Return to “Teen Concerns”