Marijuana

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Xal wrote:I guess the anti-drug ideology is so jammed into our heads at a young age that it's hard to break free of whats truth and whats fear based assumptions. In America anyways.
For some it might just be a control issue. Most people are not able to completely give themselves up to a drug or spiritual experience, afraid they might lose control of the situation. I think this stems from the fact that, by nature most people are possessive, especially in today's society.

Speaking for myself, it is a health issue. In the studies I have researched, Marijuana is worse for you than Tobacco.
Xal

Post by Xal »

Yes you are probably right about it being a control issue as well.

I'm curious about the health thing, though I have never formally researched it I have always heard that pot wasn't as bad for you as smoking cigarettes.
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" - Carl Sagan
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Xal wrote: I'm curious about the health thing, though I have never formally researched it I have always heard that pot wasn't as bad for you as smoking cigarettes.
I think most people believe this, because pot is grown naturally. Cigarettes have a ton of added chemicals. Ultimately, I have read that smoking one joint is the equivalent of almost 50 cigarettes. When you break it down, and forget about the added chemicals, you have marijuana and tobacco. Cosmetically, they have the same effects; yellow teeth and nails, early wrinkles and graying of the skin, larger pores and acne, frail hair. Health wise, they both cause cancer, infertility, memory loss (especially marijuana) and loss in concentration or the ability to concentrate over time.

I just do not understand why people think cigarettes are disgusting, but turn around and smoke pot.

Anyways, the spiritual effects are of no concern to me, but the health effects are terrible. Plus, who really wants to have all those cosmetic defects, I sure do not. Experimenting, is another thing....most of the health and cosmetic issues will not really effect a person who just experimented. I can say that if my family was not so strict about this issue, I probably would have experimented myself. Plus, where I went to school most of my life, it was difficult for anyone to bring in marijuana. Those who did were expelled and their families standing at the school was revoked for the future generations. Their certainly was not a loss of booze in the dorms though. Ha ha. I remember my first drink was grey goose, when I was 15. My roommate snuck it into our room, from our Latin teachers desk.
Xal

Post by Xal »

50 seems like a lot. I looked it up on the net and unfortunately the issue is so stemmed in politics that you can find very different sources saying the opposite thing.

Seems like most things were saying that while the plant does contain somewhere between 4-10 times as much tar, the comparison is not really accurate because the majority of people who do smoke pot do not smoke the same quantity as people who smoke cigarettes, since people tend to smoke it a lot less and with a lot less frequency.

Also some interesting studies have shown THC to actually be an anti-carcinogen.

Though it is very difficult for them to study pot in detail because the range of test samples is very small compared to tobacco products, and most people who smoke pot stop smoking as they get older which can be hard to link to something like cancer which takes a long time to build up.

Though I would have to agree with the notion that lack of nicotine and fertilizers and pesticides would make it not as bad for you. Assuming it is home grown.
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" - Carl Sagan
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Xal wrote:
Though I would have to agree with the notion that lack of nicotine and fertilizers and pesticides would make it not as bad for you. Assuming it is home grown.
I wouldnt say its NOT AS bad for you... but i think it would be as bad for you just in different ways... it can be a cause of schizophrenia, it lowers sperm count and decreases fertility dramastically amongst alot of other things... i would say that it is just as bad, just bad differently...

Pix
)(Apollo the Good)(
Banned Member

enjoy

Post by )(Apollo the Good)( »

I really enjoy smoking marijuana. I do on a regular basis and it seriously helps me to become disconnected from the stressful world a little. As an empath it is really nice in a relaxed environment. I had a friend who liked to get high and go to like the mall or a restaurant or anywhere with lots of people. I absolutely hated it and later, once I stumbled upon this site and the realization I was an empath, I learned that that was why I hated it. I really made me more sensitive to everyone around me, almost like an emotional overload. But not from my emotions, just the emotions of everyone around me.
I have experimented with alot of other drugs, however, I have cut them out of my life now, having grown up alot. I also am not into them because they are harmful and synthetic (alcohol is terrible for you too, but I still drink). Weed is natural and I think it is a nice connection to have with mother Gaea. :) *peace*
Zosomac

Post by Zosomac »

really well said Apollo :)

Personally, i like marijuana as well, but it is subject to too much mainstream abuse. And because it is so "mainstream", its subject to the hands of "dealers" which annoys the crap out of me. If it is a plant.. then it should be free; so long as you grow it yourself (and mind the laws).

if one has found a use for a "drug", and this use will NOT interfere with usual routines such as everyday interactions... then its by choice that the person exercises the use of the "drug". I use it on occasion, specifically weekends; its the end of the week, im at home alone (usually meditating). Or even out in a nice forest, to just sit and enjoy the enhancement of perception.

it makes me quiet, but far more expressive; and channels my being into a state of peace and tranquility. promotes good hunger (i have had some eating issues) and good rest. If i smoke with others, it brings emphasis on the telepathic connectivity present in each of us, making non verbal communication extraordinarily meaningful. I cant be high in crowded areas. . (at home.. or in a forest, for me) everything else is toooo distracting.

This "shit" should not be abused. by anyone. period.
staranashannon

Post by staranashannon »

Hemp is a magickal herb extraordinaire!
It affects me differently than anyone I know; I am very sensitive to it. I did not use it as a social or party drug like most do, I used it alone or maybe with one or two trusted, non-a**hole people, preferably out in nature.
After reading Apollo's post, I wonder if I'm not an empath too....
I hate crowds to begin with, but crowds definitely do not mix with the magick weed for me.
I have "rage in the cage" issues, and the maryjane completely pacified me. I understand why hippies were all about Peace-- they were smoking this stuff; they had to be.

Post by Ravencry »

I believe that there is nothing wrong with marijuana, people use mugwort and wormwood and say nothing negative about that, even though American government has also banned the chemical in wormwood that causes "halucinations", thujone. I believe that as a plant, it is not inheriently evil, instead, I find marijuana beneficial to the creative mind, the stressed mind and the diseased mind, not to mention helps cancer patients and anorexic people get better and feel better. I use it medically (I am very lucky to live in California, where it is actually looked upon as a medical and magickal herb) In my opinion, it helps with artists block, forgiving painful memories, dream magick, astral projection and, I have realised, it helps people who are a little crazy (A friend I knew was addicted to the psych meds he was being prescibed. He was a different person, he was evil, doing things that he wouldn't have done if he was in a zombiefied state of mind thanks to western medicine. Then he smoked marijuana. He hasn't taken those pills for over a year now and has changed for the better. He has feelings now. That, in my opinion, is proof that marijuana is evil or bad.)

Yes, I agree that marijuana isn't for everyone and I don't suggest using it unless you have legal permission, cops don't play with possession. In some people that have never or rarely used it, it cause people to halucinate and act very very stupid. If you are a first time user, and you are legally able to use it, I suggest a tea of something less strong. Ingesting marijuana through the stomach lets you feel the body relaxation.

Once again, if you aren't legally allowed to use it, DON'T! I don't condone any illegal drug use.
staranashannon

Post by staranashannon »

I do condone it's use. Just because something is illegal does not mean that it's ethically or morally wrong. Ask the goddess Themis about that one! I know there are lots of idiots out there who make good examples of why "drugs are bad and users should be punished", so do not associate with those people, do not drive or operate machinery, be careful, and perhaps most importantly do not get caught by law enforcement. The fact that it's illegal most everywhere really ups the herb's paranoia-inducing potential; kind of ironic.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I agree with you, earth wolf, all plants are made by the Goddess to serve some purpose, and marijuana is a magickal one that Nixon made people believe was evil because people truely think when they are high. People say 'Those stoners are no good'. Buddha fasted with hash for 40 days, and became enlightened.

For some, yes, there are negative effects, but there is no such thing as an overdose. That should be a hint. If marijuana is a poison to your body, wouldn't smoking too much kill you rather than make you fall into the most peaceful sleep of your life?

And my prenatal doctor even said 'marijuana causes no negative effects to the human body or fetus'

But the ever legal cigarettes and alcohol can kill you slowly.

I've never heard of a death from marijuana.

And unfortunately, I have to add that people shouldn't smoke unless given a prescription (part of the rules of having a medical card)

i think that if everyone in the world hit the pipe just once, peoples eyes would open (the third eye too) and they would realise, wow, this stuff isn't that bad.

And people tell me also, it makes you lose your memory.
It kills brain cells that die every night anyway, making memory BETTER rather than worse.

Anyone that smokes everyday realise that when their high, they can focus and remember things a lot more easily?

I forget more when I'm sober.

This is one plant that I believe the Goddess of Creativity and Knowledge created herself.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Also, I don't understand how Wiccans can call a harmless plant a drug, when aren't we supposed to protect and defend Mother Earth, and ALL of her creations? Why is marijuana singled out? Because American government is tired of not being able to brainwash people who smoke into going to war, or believing that they are right?

The American government has done nothing but mistreat Wiccans.
And the Good Goddess's best medicine.

Would you deny a person with a debilitating disease the chance to finally feel no pain and be able to relax and eat?

Would you deny a cancer patient the same?

Would you deny an anorexic person the only have they have to gain weight and have desire to eat?

How about the people with arthritis that can't move their limbs, until sedated by something less addicting than pain pills?

How about the psychopath who is zombiefied by medications, who knows that he can be free from both psychosis and addiction with the help of a plant?

and now my final question....

Are you afraid of a plant?
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

lol, and the venus fly trap from pet shop horrors!
staranashannon

Post by staranashannon »

As for medical marijuana, there is already a synthetic version in the form of a pill; brand name Marinol. It's use is reserved for AIDS and cancer patients, to stimulate their poor appetites, and that brings in lots of money to the pharmaceutical companies, so I cannot be optimistic about widespread legalization of the herb because it would cut into Big Pharma's profits. Everyone must understand that pharmaceutical corporations have ungodly amounts of money, and thus, massive political power.
If the herb were legal, people wouldn't waste their money on the expensive Marinol, they would smoke the natural herb that inspired Marinol's invention. I can see decriminalization happening, but not all-out legalization. Plus, if it were legal, there would be no way for govt. to collect proper taxes on it, because it is a very easy herb to grow and process, unlike, say, tobacco.

Speaking of tobacco, someone above (RavenCry?) said that it slowly kills. I know that is what they teach in school, and repeat all day on the radio and TV, but there's another side you never hear. Some say that organic tobacco smoked in moderation is beneficial to health.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Yes, I agree with you about organic tobacco. Organic tobacco is a completely different due to the government adding their nasty chemicals. A Native American Spirit cigarette (organic, natural tobacco with no additives) is a million times better than a Marlboro. The chemicals is what causes the carcinogens, not the plant itself.

In California, the legalization for the herb, not the pill (The pill does not contain all the cannabinoids (THC is only one of the many beneficial cannabinoids in the marijuana herb, and is the only ingredient in Marinol.) In November, marijuana will be legal (We got hundreds of thousands more signatures than what was required). I am very happy for that because Marinol is not the same as the plant itself (many marijuana users will agree with me.) because it lacks at lot of what gets you high.

But, I am very disapointed that marijuana will be taxed. the disspensaries sell it at street price now, but after November, marijuana will be legal to California residents only (with CA id) who are over 21. So instead of a gram of OG Kush being 20$, it will be like 21 something. And maybe more, so the business itself can make profit. This is a very very unfortunate thing, I hate it. But at that point I will be growing it myself. Growing and curing marijuana is difficult, but after you get the hang of it, easy. (I have Jorge Cervante's Growers Bible, the best darn book on growing, in my opinion) so I do have a helping hand when something goes wrong.

I believe that if marijuana was never deemed illegal, there would be a lot more happy americans and a lot more money coming in to the government. What person that smokes often doesn't enjoy the pleasure of eating delicious food or watching a hilarious movie?

Oh, I forgot to add for the people that are anti-marijuana, did you know that humans naturally have cannbinoid receptors in our brain? Almost like cannabis was meant to be consumed....

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”