Marijuana

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

For the person that said Marijuana causes lung cancer------->

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows

ScienceDaily (Apr. 17, 2007) — The active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University who tested the chemical in both lab and mouse studies.

They say this is the first set of experiments to show that the compound, Delta-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), inhibits EGF-induced growth and migration in epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) expressing non-small cell lung cancer cell lines. Lung cancers that over-express EGFR are usually highly aggressive and resistant to chemotherapy.

THC that targets cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 is similar in function to endocannabinoids, which are cannabinoids that are naturally produced in the body and activate these receptors. The researchers suggest that THC or other designer agents that activate these receptors might be used in a targeted fashion to treat lung cancer.

"The beauty of this study is that we are showing that a substance of abuse, if used prudently, may offer a new road to therapy against lung cancer," said Anju Preet, Ph.D., a researcher in the Division of Experimental Medicine.

Acting through cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2, endocannabinoids (as well as THC) are thought to play a role in variety of biological functions, including pain and anxiety control, and inflammation. Although a medical derivative of THC, known as Marinol, has been approved for use as an appetite stimulant for cancer patients, and a small number of U.S. states allow use of medical marijuana to treat the same side effect, few studies have shown that THC might have anti-tumor activity, Preet says. The only clinical trial testing THC as a treatment against cancer growth was a recently completed British pilot study in human glioblastoma.

In the present study, the researchers first demonstrated that two different lung cancer cell lines as well as patient lung tumor samples express CB1 and CB2, and that non-toxic doses of THC inhibited growth and spread in the cell lines. "When the cells are pretreated with THC, they have less EGFR stimulated invasion as measured by various in-vitro assays," Preet said.

Then, for three weeks, researchers injected standard doses of THC into mice that had been implanted with human lung cancer cells, and found that tumors were reduced in size and weight by about 50 percent in treated animals compared to a control group. There was also about a 60 percent reduction in cancer lesions on the lungs in these mice as well as a significant reduction in protein markers associated with cancer progression, Preet says.

Although the researchers do not know why THC inhibits tumor growth, they say the substance could be activating molecules that arrest the cell cycle. They speculate that THC may also interfere with angiogenesis and vascularization, which promotes cancer growth.

Preet says much work is needed to clarify the pathway by which THC functions, and cautions that some animal studies have shown that THC can stimulate some cancers. "THC offers some promise, but we have a long way to go before we know what its potential is," she said.
staranashannon

Post by staranashannon »

Wow- it's going to be totally legal? For uses other than medicinal? I'm sure the only reason this has been allowed to happen is because the state is bankrupt and desperate for tax dollars. Alcohol prohibition of the 1920s was lifted for the same reason- the Great Depression prompted the need for extra tax money.
If I were you I would grow it myself. Don't feed the machine; I suspect it's beyond repair.
bluphoenix

here is my story about smoking resin

Post by bluphoenix »

I have a similar story about 6 years ago. I was smoking and I had a dream about one of my friends. The dream was that this friend was going on a camping trip and this person like to drink, so in my drink I was trying to tell him that he shouldn't drink on his way back home. The reason for this is, because he would wrap he car around a tree.

Then the next morning this friend came over to my house to tell myself and boyfriend at that time, that he would be going on a camping trip. So I told him that he shouldn't drink on his way back home, or he would wrap his car around a tree and not survive.

Well needless to say he didn't take my advice, and about a three or four days after I told him. I saw his picture in the newspaper with a report about his fatal car accident. In this report he wrapped his car around the tree.

I thought this was crazy and that I was crazy when this happened.
canobiecrazy

Re: Marijuana

Post by canobiecrazy »

Well, ive finally decided to try it for the first time. Will a nickel bag be enough to roll? Ive heard the first time doesn't really get you high, but I still want to try it. Any advice..? Sorry if this is against rules, if so, a mod please delete it.
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

Just a quick note... The government doesn't add chems to tobacco, the company who make ciggys do that lol. Granted the government isn't stopping them but is that really the governments responsibility? I love it when crab about "big government" and then crab when the government won't jump in and regulate something that person has a bee in his bonet about.

Oh, and one company did market a no chems added smoke several years ago. The public wouldn't buy it.
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

thinks it should be legal as it does help certain medical conditions
it is also the number one crop grown in America and the profit at this time is illegal gain
like cigarettes and alcohol there are several sides to the story, personally I think moderation is always the best choice IF you choose to indulge ....in anything
<----- does not condone or use any man made drug except when prescibed by a docter and then with care

oh and I have smoke pot since I was 14, the first time was using a kazoo as the pipe, don't smoke it very often now, but I personally have no problem with it
Jadis

Post by Jadis »

canobiecrazy wrote:Well, ive finally decided to try it for the first time. Will a nickel bag be enough to roll? Ive heard the first time doesn't really get you high, but I still want to try it. Any advice..? Sorry if this is against rules, if so, a mod please delete it.
No, the first time can go either way. 1- you don't think you are high, 2- you get incredibly paranoid.
I always suggest doing it in an environment where you feel safe and secure, at a time when you have at least 6 hours to dedicate, and with someone who knows how much to give you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have noticed after consuming Marijuana it is easier for me to visual and focus my power and I incorporate use in my rituals. Its is a representation of the elements for me: the plant is from the earth, the smoke floats in the air, fire creates and burns, and water filters.

FYI - I have a legal use card, and I don't deal to anyone. I also only do it alone because I am an empath and its harder for me to control the emotional intake when I'm around others... except my cat, he doesn't have much in the way of emotions except for love and protectiveness of our space.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

A fellow person with a Med card! I am soooo disappointed that Prop. 19 failed.
Jadis

Post by Jadis »

Ditto. I was SHOCKED it failed with all the young kids able to vote who want it legal. We even live nearish eachother which is why I really appreciate your local herb advice.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Oh, no problem :D I'm glad that it helped someone. I'll be posting more So Cal wildcrafting sections :D
I think that a lot of the younger kids (kids 18-24) didn't really go vote. A lot of the people that I know didn't even go out and vote. I was quite disappointed. Ah well, there's always next time. Maybe Californians will realise how much money it could generate, rather than closing down libraries. (Which is what they did her in LA county, the local libraries are now closed Sunday (I believe) and Mondays.)
Jadis

Post by Jadis »

Speaking of herbs - is there an easier way to deseed rose hips than just scraping the inside out?
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

No D:
Asch

Post by Asch »

Regarding the gateway nature of pot, generally it's a gateway because one has to buy it illegally from people willing or able to find and sell you harder drugs. I'm a big fan of ending prohibition for that and many other reasons.
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I agree. It's not a gateway because it makes you want to get higher, its a gateway because the dealers.
I've always been for ending prohibition, even when I was straight-edge.
Asch

Post by Asch »

Yeah I've only smoked pot twice and I rarely drink but ending prohibition is the only sane, compassionate, moral choice imo, look at what thirty years of a war on drugs has earned us, and the situation in Juarez and other border towns.
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”