Not Telling Parents (No Matter Your Age)

Talk about anything you want to here.
lunar*dandelions

Not Telling Parents (No Matter Your Age)

Post by lunar*dandelions »

Ok, I considered putting this in the Teen Concerns. Instead, I decided it could apply to anyone that hasn't come out to their parents that they're witches (or whatever you call yourself).

So if you go on some witchy sites (or other forums) some people will say to not come out and tell your parents is against the nature of the path. I find this absolutely positively ridiculous. While I do think it's good to tell your parents of your beliefs, and to try and be open, it's not always a great idea. Or maybe you've told no one and you're happy being inside the broom closet. If that's you, great. Awesome. It's amazing that you don't need anyone else to feel comfortable with your beliefs.

But some people are saying that you're not practicing the craft 'correctly' if you don't come out to at least your parents. I mean, heck, they raised you, right? Fed you, sheltered you, gave you life for goodness sake. But anyone recall the Burning Times? People practiced in the broom closet their whole lives. Does this mean they weren't practicing the craft 'correctly'?

Ok, sure, we don't exactly have Christians coming up and accusing of us Witchcraft and then continuing to burn us anymore. But still. And for another matter, is there really a 'correct' way to practice the craft? I think not.

Aww jeez. I didn't realize it'd be so long! Talk about a rant. Any thoughts?
zenine

Re: Not Telling Parents (No Matter Your Age)

Post by zenine »

I agree with you: Sure I appreciate the whole parents sustaining me my whole life thing, but that doesn't mean they will understand and support you the best out of anyone in the entire world. Lol, ask anyone!

There IS no correct way to practice Wicca or Witchcraft. Well there might be a correct way for practicing Wicca, i'm not sure, but I know there's no right way to practice witchcraft. what does it say anyway? about telling parents and others?

Anyway, your religion isn't SUPPOSED to be about them. It's meant for you, the individual. Infact some people say that with others (especially the parents) interfering, it gets in the way of the power of your mind and you wouldn't be able to unleash your full magical potential. I mean do you really need someone to comment on it?

I'm not encouraging secrets. I'm just saying: sometimes telling the truth doesn't do any good, and someone not knowing everything about you isn't necessarily a bad thing because it will make everything move along easier.

Your parents aren't the boss of you. Nor should they be.
To see the world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower. To hold infinity in the palm of your hand, An eternity in an hour.
(William Blake)
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

You don't have to tell anyone anything you don't want to. That's just life in general. Yeah your parents might have done everything they can for you, but hopefully more than anything they taught you to use your head and if you don't feel comfortable about telling them something because you don't feel they will understand and it's not hurting them to not know, then there's no reason to fret over it. What you decide to believe or practice is up to you and it's not like you snuck out and got your tongue pierced:P
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
Wolfmoon caster
Banned Member

Post by Wolfmoon caster »

I do not beleive I would ever be able to tell my parents because I know for a fact that my dad would never except it and I would be kicked out. My oldest sister who Is 23-24? Hasn't talked with my parents since she was 19 and told them she was a Lesbain, she has called several times but the phone is quickly slammed downed, now just imiagine telling them I'm from a differntly religion which is even more of a sin to them

Return to “Member's Rants and Ramblings”