Drawn Toward Magic

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
Sonni-Na

Drawn Toward Magic

Post by Sonni-Na »

Hi, For years I have felt drawn toward magic in many ways. I've never really explored any possibilities in family connection and now it's too late to ask those who would have known. Most of my older family members have passed and my mother knows nothing about her side. My father is too stuck on the Christian belief to even think of other possible paths. How do I know if magic is where I should be turning?
Kassandra

RE being drawn toward magic

Post by Kassandra »

earth wolf wrote:the fact you are wondering is a possible sign friend

Hi Sonni-Na. I agree wholeheartedly with earth wolf, above. I know from my own experience, when I feel drawn to something it usually means that's the direction in which my spirit wants to go, and I should honor my spirit's yearnings. There's a lesson for my soul to learn somewhere in there (for better and for worse, lol).

Some people are drawn to magic because they want to make fire come from their hands, or they think it's neat to telepathically read minds, or they wish to have OBEs to heroically battle spirits in other dimensions, or do "awesome" curses on people. Teen males are especially attracted to this kind of stuff! It gets silly. Hopefully, your interest goes deeper and is much more grounded than that. :wink:

Though there's no one in your family with whom you could really talk about magic, there are things you could look into on your own to see if this is a path that interests you. For starters, I suggest learning about each of the basic elements depicted in your own avatar, getting to know them and their properties. Fire, earth, air and water are so easy to take for granted because since infancy we've seen or interacted with them everyday. Spirit, reflected in our bodies most conspicuously as "breath," is easy to take for granted as well, because since our first breath we have just breathed naturally, without effort. But it's so precious it's been variously called, prana (India), chi (China), berakhah (Hebrew), pnuema (Greek stoicism), etc.

So take a closer look at the elements. Write your reflections about them in your Book of Shadows if you have one, or just a journal. If you are interested in doing spellwork one day, you will need a firm, if not at least rudimentary grasp of them, in order to understand how and why they're employed and/or invoked. But even if you don't choose to practice magic, a deeper appreciation of them would provide you insight into our human existence as part of a much larger "whole" around us. Our bodies are a microcosm of the interaction of these elements in the Universe at large.

Study especially the "correspondences" between the elements, which you could study til you're old and gray, there's that much info available. Every culture on Earth has pondered them, and arrived at different (and similar) explanations about them. For instance, Plutarch the historian credits the ancient Greek philosopher Plato with putting together the following correspondences. But like Shakespeare, who was credited with making up stories that scholars later discovered were already floating around and he merely documented them in his plays, Plato probably documented already existing esoteric beliefs in his written works, as well.

Whatever the case, the following correspondences of the "Platonic Solids" are part of a larger body of info called "sacred geometry." According to this theory, all of the physical environment as we know it is composed of 5 building blocks, five main shapes that repeat themselves:

Tetrahedron
Formed of four equilateral triangles
Element: Fire (symbolic of willpower, courage, passion, self-confidence)
Theme: The power of creation
Function: Manifestation. Increases vitality and stimulates action

Hexahedron or Cube
Formed of 6 equal squares
Element: Earth (symbolic of stability, structure, productivity, sensuality)
Themes: Safety, security, grounding, self-confidence
Function: Grounding. Brings material consciousness

Octahedron
Formed of 8 equilateral triangles with 8 face, and 12 edges
Element: Air (symbolic of mental power, inspiration, new beginnings)
Theme: Cause and consequences
Function: Integration and balance of the spiritual and material realms

Dodecahedron
Formed of 12 pentagons with 30 edges
Element: Spirit (symbolic of wholeness, divine connection, completion)
Themes: Responsibility of decision, and spiritual consciousness
Function: Spiritual evolution, clearing of energy, linking to the spiritual

Icosahedron
Formed of 20 equilateral triangles with 30 edges
Element: Water (symbolic of emotions, dreams, intuition)
Theme: Flow of change (as water changes from gas, to liquid, to solid, etc.)
Function: Transformation, movement, flow and change

--based on study chart, “Sacred Geometry, Archetype of Creation”
[author(s) not indicated on chart]

By the way, for those familiar with tarot cards, yet another "correspondence" reveals itself here: the symbolic descriptions of the above elements also correspond to the themes of the four suites of the minor arcana: fire/wands, earth/pentacles, air/swords, water/cups; the major arcana cards, collectively, relate to spirit.

Anyway, if you are drawn to magic, you are probably drawn to alchemy, change. And if indeed, as sacred geometry theories suggest, these basic elements are the building blocks of creation, the "ingredients" of our world if not the Universe, then what powerful tools you have at your disposal to effect change in your life! Use them wisely. Spend time with each element, and for instance, write about when in a ritual or spell you might use the properties of water (flowing, moving, transformative), how you'd use it, and why. What about fire (stimulating, refining)? The other elements? Don't worry about if you're right or wrong. You could refine your information later. The point is to get into a frame of mind where, instead of blindly following other peoples' written rituals or spells, you try to understand why they are using what they use, and better yet, you develop your own relationship with each of the elements, and you know what to do with them.

There is also information about the aura in this forum, and energy basics like grounding, centering, shielding, etc. Whether you pursue magic or not, get to know the spiritual part of you they don't and won't teach you about in school (a policy I hope will change one day in the future), get to know your "subtle anatomy." You could do this on your own. So, like I said, all this was was just for starters. With what I've written above, I've only scratched the surface. If stuff like this sounds like too much work, or even boring, this might not be something you'd want to pursue further.

As regards living with your beliefs in a home that may be hostile toward them, there are many threads on this message board about that. It's a balancing act, for sure. Stay positive, respect others, but at the same time do what you need to do to feel spiritually fulfilled.

Return to “F.A.Q.”