Proposition 8 deemed unconstitutional!

Lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, and transgender discussion and questions.
Wishes

Proposition 8 deemed unconstitutional!

Post by Wishes »

A federal judge in California has struck down that state's ban on same-sex marriage, saying Proposition 8, passed by voters two years ago, is unconstitutional.

Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker's decision on Prop. 8 is hardly the final word in the matter. Both sides had said they would appeal the ruling if it wasn't in their favor. The case would go first to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and eventually to the Supreme Court, if the justices agreed to review it.

Walker wrote that Prop. 8 "fails to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license."
Read the whole article http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/08/04 ... itution%2F!

So what do you think of this being overturned? I think this is a huge success for the GLBT community and I hope similar effects will ripple throughout the country =]
~Best Wishes in Everything You Do~

Wishes
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

I am so happy it got overturned! It is about time that people realize you cannot legislate love.
Godsmack

Post by Godsmack »

Yay!!! :D I can finally get married to the guy of my dreams! Lol. :) I'm sure that made many people happy. :D
frisbee

Post by frisbee »

This is wonderful news. Of course, right-wingers with nothing better to do are trying to appeal.
arpgme

Post by arpgme »

It's crazy how people have traded away their freedom for security (in this case from fear of gays).

It's good that Proposition 8 has been appealed but it was only in California. There is still much work to do. We should just get rid of every law except the Constitution and the laws made from it (Amendments), then this country will be as free as it once was.
[ShadowPhoenix]

Post by [ShadowPhoenix] »

What I'm interested in seeing is a fight in the bible belt. If we can conquer that area the rest should fall like dominoes.
Sythan

Re: Proposition 8 deemed unconstitutional!

Post by Sythan »

Sadly for those Christian-Gay-Hating-Idiots, this country was founded on allowing people to pursue Life, Liberty, and Happiness because of our Founding Fathers wanting everyone to be free. Proposition 8 was a slap in the face after thousands died to create a Free Country.

Return to “LGBT Chat and Concerns”