Restoring The Goddess by Barbara G Walker (a discussion of)

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
RestoringtheGoddess

Restoring The Goddess by Barbara G Walker (a discussion of)

Post by RestoringtheGoddess »

My favorite book is Restoring The Goddess by Barbara G Walker and I tried defending my views with her book on another pagan message board and I was treated with hostility and they bashed me and said that the author is not reputable?
They say I need to show them proof that it was the Catholic Church's intention to destroy Mother Goddess!
And that not that many witches died during the witch hunts how the records only indicate a few hundred witches died!
Well I said on that forum that documents and records were most likely destroyed because the catholic church would not want to keep evidence of what they did to women or keep evidence of their intentions which were to destroy the Goddess (worshipping Her, etc.) and in this process destroy female sacredness and power!

I'm just wondering if anyone here can agree with this view,
I'm open to a discussion...etc...
I have always felt more love and more pagan love from this board than any other...
I feel that many of the other "pagan" boards just pose as this but really are more atheistic or xtian based
I can say the name of the actual message board where I was slammed but I'd rather not bash other boards it isn't lady like lol

well I hope to get some replies to this and I hope to get to know more of you here

I know I went through a period of confusion (if you look back at some of my posts... but I've made it through this and I feel I am back stronger than ever... well hopefully lol :)
anyways hoping to get some replies to this thanks
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I have flipped through this book once. I do not follow the idea that men and women are that much different. Regardless of my personal ideas on the subject, I did not by this book because the questionable creditability of the "facts". As an opinion based work, it is fine, but to call it a guide line or direct fact may be ill advised.

Walker claims that crimes of violence “run more than 90 percent male” and that when women become violent,

“more than half the time it is in retaliation against men who have abused them.” What is the source of these figures? Who knows — no citation was given.

But if you read the statistics

Women commit the majority of child homicides in the United States, a greater share of physical child abuse, an equal rate of sibling violence and assaults on the elderly, about a quarter of child sexual abuse, an overwhelming share of the killings of newborns, and a fair preponderance of spousal assaults.

This is just one of the "facts" that I remember and felt as if a bit more research should have been done.
RestoringtheGoddess

earth wolf wrote:i acctually love this book. i dont know about them destroying the goddess shes acctually in the bible in revalations goes something like this "and on the horizon a woman appeared with the stars upon her brow and the moon under her feet" it goes on to say how she gives birth to a son and god comes down and saves her and the child from a great sea dragon. and in the sisteene chapel where god is about to touch adams finger there is a woman with her arm draped about god. (the goddess perhaps?) Ik mary has quite a few "goddess" like qualities even more so the fact she gives birth to gods incarnate (age old story fav of mine)

quite awful that you would be riducled for you beliefs fear not no one will do that here.
Thanks to both of you for replying

Earth Wolf, wow I had no idea this was in the bible!
I try to stay away from that book lol
but it's funny how all the priests and preachers never quote this passage!!! that would be giving women too many ideas I guess! :)

I am so tempted to tell you all the name of the board where I was treated this way but I don't know the rules or if I should etc.?
If you really wanna know you can pm me for the name of the message board

Yes I agree at least with Catholics there is Mary... and I like how in some sects of Catholocism they love and honor Mary more than Jesus (for how patriarchal this society is)
its always "god the father" it just gets nauseum growing up where that's all a girl hears growing up sigh
I really wish Goddess Religion would become powerful , I think it is what the world needs to save Mother Earth and women and children in general!

JBRaven, wow those statistics is something I wasn't aware of,
I always see on the news that most of the crimes are committed by males! Where did you get these statistics from?
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I am finding them give me a bit. I am a webcrawler and tend to find facts and can't remember.
RestoringtheGoddess

Earth Wolf, you bring up an interesting point

JBRaven, ok I look forward to the info on the statistics

You two are helping me to see a calmer perspective to my cause lol :)
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

http://www.canadiancrc.com/Newspaper_Ar ... FEB04.aspx

http://www.aifs.gov.au/nch/pubs/sheets/rs7/rs7.html

http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/187239.pdf (page 9 under Homicides by Females)

http://www.cyc-net.org/features/ft-crimesbymen.html[/url]

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/11/13 ... e-violent/

I cannot find the article I am looking for but here are a few that women are not the saints and men are the evil demons destroying the virtue of woman hood. Yes, men dominate the crime scene. Maybe that has to do with the fact that we are looked towards as the weaker sex and thus are overlooked as suspects. I know that this is changing.

What does it say about women that we are made criminals by men? Then again I am biased; I have been called on a few occasions as a semi-anti-feminist.

I will continue to look for my article.
RestoringtheGoddess

thanks JBRaven for the links

I will look at them in depth this weekend,
it is opening my eyes to a new perspective that is for sure :)

Return to “For Everyone”