Depression

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
ScarlettRose

Depression

Post by ScarlettRose »

So, I'm starting today on taking Tulsi for depression. I am almost positive it's my birth control causing it... I changed though so it will be going away probably next month. But, any ideas other herbs or teas to drink in the mean time?? Or stones? even meditations/spells?

Thank you.
Breathing in I feel gratitude; Breathing out I give thanks.
Breathing in I feel joyful; Breathing out I celebrate.
Breathing in I know compassion; Breathing I am compassion.
Breathing in I feel loved; Breathing out I offer love.
Breathing in I am still; Breathing out I am at peace.
Om.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Here are some teas that help with depression. They won't eliminate it completely, but they will help reduce it.

Gentian Root Tea
Steep 1/2 ounce each of finely chopped poplar bark and gentian root in two pints of water for fifteen minutes. Boil and add 1/2ounce each of agrimony and centaury. Simmer for ten minutes, cool, and strain. You can add honey for sweetener if you desire. Take three or four tablespoons before meals.

Rosemary-Sage Tea
Boil two cups of water with one teaspoon each of rosemary and sage. Steep for five minutes, strain, and drink daily.

Antidepressant Tincture
1 teaspoon tincture of Saint-John's-wort leaf
½ teaspoon tinctures of licorice root, ginseng root, lemon balm leaf and ashwaganda leaf (if available)

Combine ingredients (if you do not or cannot drink alcohol, buy glycerites instead of tinctures). Take 1 dropperful 3 times a day.

Clove Tea
Crush cloves and add to sage, camomile or peppermint tea and a dash of ginseng powder to lift mild depression.

St. Johns Wort Blend
Useful as a general purpose remedy for depression

2 parts St. John's-wort (Hypericum perforatum)
1 part oat (Avena sativa) straw
1 part lavender (Lavandula officinalis)
1 part mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) leaf

Take 5 ml of the tincture three times a day for at least one month.

Kava Blend
Mix equal parts of kava, lemon balm, valerian root and St. John's wort. Pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1 tsp. of herb mix. Drink 1 cup three times daily, one hour after meals.

Feel Good Herb Tea
This tea encourages a feeling of well-being

3 Parts lemon balm
1 part Lavender flowers
1 part Rose petals
1 part Spearmint
1 part St. John's Wort
1 part marjoram
Vanilla honey to taste

Mix the above herbs and flowers in a bowl. Store in a glass jar. To prepare the tea, use 1 to 2 teaspoons of herb per cup. Pour hot water over herbs and allow it to steep for 5 to 10 minutes. Flavor with honey or lemon if desired. Drink up to three cups per day.
ScarlettRose

Post by ScarlettRose »

Those are wonderful!
Thank you!! :D
Breathing in I feel gratitude; Breathing out I give thanks.
Breathing in I feel joyful; Breathing out I celebrate.
Breathing in I know compassion; Breathing I am compassion.
Breathing in I feel loved; Breathing out I offer love.
Breathing in I am still; Breathing out I am at peace.
Om.
LostAngel79

Re: Depression

Post by LostAngel79 »

Thanks for the tea recipes. I'm curious if anyone takes prescription meds for depression and uses herbs. I've heard you don't want to mix the two. I'm on Celexa right now and taking ametriptyline and topamax for migraine control. My goal is to be completely off prescription meds one day, but until then...

Any suggestions on which herbs NOT to use?

Thanks!
Chatters

Post by Chatters »

LostAngel79 wrote:Thanks for the tea recipes. I'm curious if anyone takes prescription meds for depression and uses herbs. I've heard you don't want to mix the two. I'm on Celexa right now and taking ametriptyline and topamax for migraine control. My goal is to be completely off prescription meds one day, but until then...

Any suggestions on which herbs NOT to use?

Thanks!
Hi Lost Angel, Yes I am curious too and have often wondered this. I take anti - depressants which I have been taking for a few years now, would like to start coming off them soon. Keep trying and the depression sneaks back in. I find a lavender tea to be very relaxing and does not seem to have any ill affects. I only have a few teaspoons of the flowers in an infusion. I know some herbs are more potent then others - for example I have read and heard that St Johns wort can not be taken with Anti depressants
LostAngel79

Post by LostAngel79 »

Chatters, I have heard that too about St Johns Wort. I know it will take time and patience to see what works. Hell, it's taken me (and my doctors) almost a year to find the right concoction to keep my almost daily migraines at bay. So I'm terrified of stopping those!

BTW, is that you're own artwork as your avatar?
Jadis

Post by Jadis »

ScarlettRose wrote:So, I'm starting today on taking Tulsi for depression. I am almost positive it's my birth control causing it... I changed though so it will be going away probably next month. But, any ideas other herbs or teas to drink in the mean time?? Or stones? even meditations/spells?

Thank you.
Don't mix St. Johns Wort and birth control. The herb helps mitigate your PMS but it also renders birth control slowly ineffective.
wilaimsjacks

Post by wilaimsjacks »

Depression is common in most of the people, it is a situation when a person feeling sad, blue, unhappy, miserable, or down in the dumps, sometime depression lead to death also, it is necessary for a person to avoid depression, here are some of the tips to avoid depression are
- Avoid reading news paper
- Avoid watching news channel
- Avoid talking about others
- Drink plenty of water
FireQueen

Post by FireQueen »

WARNING::: DO NOT TAKE ST JOHN'S WORT IF YOU ARE TAKING PRESCRIPTION ANTI-DEPRESSANTS!!!!!!
No one in the world can alter truth. All we can do is seek it and live it.
hawthorn

Post by hawthorn »

FireQueen wrote:WARNING::: DO NOT TAKE ST JOHN'S WORT IF YOU ARE TAKING PRESCRIPTION ANTI-DEPRESSANTS!!!!!!
or any meds at all
Elluir

Post by Elluir »

St. John's Wort has many many drug interactions with prescription medications. Your friendly neighborhood pharmacist would be more than happy to take a look at your current medications and see if they interact with St. Johns Wort.

As mentioned above, prescription anti-depressants are a nono with St. Johns Wort.

Always make sure to mention what herbals you take regularly when talking to your physician AND pharmacist.

Good luck!

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”