Christian witch? Oh yeah, I'm one of those :)

Discussion for and about Christian witches and pagans. How do you merge your two belief systems? Please be kind to Christian witches. I have come to believe that it is a very valid belief system.
Lorena

Christian witch? Oh yeah, I'm one of those :)

Post by Lorena »

So I'm new here. I've just reached the tender age of sixteen this September and have found myself bypassing normal teenage witch rebellion to be a Christian witch rebel!
I find it perfectly easy to merge my beliefs. I know Jesus is my savior. But I'm beginning to believe maybemaybe Jesus was less God's son, more an incarnation of God himself. But I also believe that these energies here on earth are meant to be manipulated.
and although I was raised Christian and have studied the bible relatively closely, I've yet to find any direct statement against a Goddess.
Oh and that one verse...Exodus something. It's likely one of those things that gets kind of lost in translation...witch is a mistranslation of sorcerer which would imply one who does evil magic.

:)
shadowx
Banned Member

Re: Christian witch? Oh yeah, I'm one of those :)

Post by shadowx »

Im not a fan of the merge between witchcraft and christianity, mainly because one has lead to many public deaths and tortures in the name of its supreme god and the other is traditionally about self growth, however....
I've yet to find any direct statement against a Goddess.
Isnt the main point of christianity "you WILL worship ONLY the holy trinity as they are the ONLY saviours. If you worship anyone else then you WILL go to hell because you are worshipping someone other than THE god."

Im not one for withholding what i think or feel, dont take it personally and of course prove me wrong! I just really dislike this idea that christianity and witchcraft can come together cleanly. The two are absolute opposites.

when you practise witchcraft YOU are god. You are the most important force at work and YOU decide what happens and when it happens. Obviously the laws of physics prevent certain things however christianity is the opposite. You are weak, a creature of nothing. You have no power and the only thing you can do is get on your knees and beg an almighty god to do something about your pathetic situation.

But these are MY views.... I dont want to put you off, i love a good discussion and while things can get heated i dont mean anything personally and it shouldnt be taken personally.

Welcome :)
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

shadowx wrote:Im not a fan of the merge between witchcraft and christianity, mainly because one has lead to many public deaths and tortures in the name of its supreme god and the other is traditionally about self growth, however....
I've yet to find any direct statement against a Goddess.
Isnt the main point of christianity "you WILL worship ONLY the holy trinity as they are the ONLY saviours. If you worship anyone else then you WILL go to hell because you are worshipping someone other than THE god."
Many gnostics believe that the Holy Spirit is feminine.
Im not one for withholding what i think or feel, dont take it personally and of course prove me wrong! I just really dislike this idea that christianity and witchcraft can come together cleanly. The two are absolute opposites.
Christianity and paganism are not opposites. That implies that they're two sides of one coin. Christinaity and other religions have their similarities and their differences, but they are separate and sufficient unto themselves. Christianity is no different than other religion no matter how much it tries to removes itself. It has a mythology, it has its aspects of god ( it's even polytheistic with the Trinity), and it has tribal roots. The only thing that makes us think pagan religions are 'here' and Christianity is 'there', is because they have a believe that it's the only true way. There is no "opposite".

Judaism had the kabbalah and other methods of esotericism that elevated the spirit and put one into connection to the God in a similar way that Wiccan's have ritueals or draw down the moon. Gnostics have been finding mystical and esoteric meaning in the NT since it's first beginnings, and the Key of Solomon is an occult-directed method of discovering the true name and nature of Yahweh.
when you practise witchcraft YOU are god. You are the most important force at work and YOU decide what happens and when it happens. Obviously the laws of physics prevent certain things however christianity is the opposite. You are weak, a creature of nothing. You have no power and the only thing you can do is get on your knees and beg an almighty god to do something about your pathetic situation.

While on the other hand an argument could be made that one who wishes to instantaneously improve any hardship in life is a weak person who can't handle and rise above their pathetic situation. Through the fire we are tested, we gain honor, and wisdom. I don't believe anyone can look at their own path objectively when they can't look at another path objectively- even when it conflicts with their own beliefs. What you believe tends to be a direct reaction of what your rebelling against, rather than the true nature of the path.
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

shadowx wrote:Im not a fan of the merge between witchcraft and christianity, mainly because one has lead to many public deaths and tortures in the name of its supreme god and the other is traditionally about self growth, however....

I forgot to mention above that this is completely incorrect. Ancient paganism was not full of peaceful, earth loving people. *Sigh* Most cultures sacrificed members of enemy tribes to their Gods, raided other tribes for slaves, and converted those slaves not sacrificed to their ways. If you're talking about curent witchcraft, then you should also apply that same modernity to Christianity, which has also stopped torturing and sacrficing people in the name of God. ;)
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
Lorena

Post by Lorena »

Woahwoahwoah shadowx...that is SO not the point of Christianity. The real point of Christianity that many Christians miss is LOVE. Jesus loved us, so he died for us, and now we're meant to spread that love.

Maybe I'm able to merge these beliefs because I'm a very conceptual artist (think Matthew Barney, Damien Hirst, Ryan Trecartin, Eva Hesse etc) and refuse to believe in rules so much as guidelines and core beliefs.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

I accept that back in time paganism was bloody, so if we compare it based on today alone we still see christianity is mostly threatening, intolerant and hateful. Catholicism is a prime example of a religion which is pure hatred.

I also accept the idea of christianity being love. Its too simplistic for me, my rose tinted glasses broke long ago but it is an admirable idea and yet it is spread by condemning others to hell which hypocritically living a sinful life.

I think the whole "I pick and choose what to believe in the bible" is wrong. I think if you want to be christian you have to accept the bible as 99% fact. I just dont get it... I really dont. I still see paganism, specifically most neo-pagan paths, and christianity as complete opposites. One is empowering the other is not. One is free and happy, the other is restrictive and strict. One allows people to expand and grow, the other does not.

I have negative views of christianity though. Nothing would make me happier than seeing christianity and islam wiped from the face of the earth (not the believers... just the beliefs) that would solve a lot more problems than both religions attempt to solve.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

shadowx wrote:I accept that back in time paganism was bloody, so if we compare it based on today alone we still see christianity is mostly threatening, intolerant and hateful. Catholicism is a prime example of a religion which is pure hatred.

I also accept the idea of christianity being love. Its too simplistic for me, my rose tinted glasses broke long ago but it is an admirable idea and yet it is spread by condemning others to hell which hypocritically living a sinful life.

I think the whole "I pick and choose what to believe in the bible" is wrong. I think if you want to be christian you have to accept the bible as 99% fact. I just dont get it... I really dont. I still see paganism, specifically most neo-pagan paths, and christianity as complete opposites. One is empowering the other is not. One is free and happy, the other is restrictive and strict. One allows people to expand and grow, the other does not.

I have negative views of christianity though. Nothing would make me happier than seeing christianity and islam wiped from the face of the earth (not the believers... just the beliefs) that would solve a lot more problems than both religions attempt to solve.
Do you mind if I point something out? :)

Nothing would make me happier than seeing christianity and islam wiped from the face of the earth ....

we still see christianity is mostly threatening, intolerant and hateful
we still see Shadowx is mostly threatening, intolerant, and hateful
Its too simplistic for me,

Catholicism is a prime example of a religion which is pure hatred.

Shadowx is too simplistic for me

Do you really still think Christianity is the direct opposite of you?
spread by condemning others to hell which hypocritically living a sinful life.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing christianity and islam wiped from the face of the earth
;)

It's normal to have this much animosity towards Chritianity in the early stages... I don't know how many years you've been on this path but time is irrelevant when growth is the measuring stick. But I also know that your focus isn;t spiritual/religious. You can't impose how you feel a religion should be viewed when you aren't even a practitioner of it. I don't know why you're so insistent that the bible be taken literally, when that sort of interpretation has only begun to be on trend.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Our Troth
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

What others see in me is irrelevant, but i see your point though i still disagree.

Firstly let me state that the reason for my first reply in this thread was not to bash the OP but i just dont get the idea of a christian witch when christianity repeatedly states over and over again that you cannot worship anyone, or anything except god (and his essence in jesus and the holy ghost, though you MUST accept jesus as the one and only Saviour and the ONLY route into heaven.) that means you cannot worship, nor recognise the power of: Nature spirits (eg the oak/holly/sun/moon/earth/sea etc... gods/goddesses), the power of the elements, a god AND a goddess (while the bible refers to god as "he" i can accept that may be due to lack of understanding and thus "he" could be a "she" but you cant have both since that is two deities).

That, at least from what i can see rules out most of witchcraft! I would *love* for someone to make a long, detailed post about how the two can fit together and still follow the bible. The reason i mention following the bible closely is because the bible is the rule book in the game of christianity. Just as a wiccan who doesnt follow the rede is no longer a wiccan, a christian who doesnt follow at least *most* of the bible is no longer a christian.

Obviously some things can be considered interpretive or not acceptable today, which i accept. For example wearing clothes of mixed fibers or stoning innocent women to death for no reason other than male supremacy, however since the bible *IS* christianity, it is the rule book, the holy book, the directions and guides and the story, to be a christian you MUST follow most of it and believe in most of it. If you dont then IMHO you cannot call yourself a christian.

But again, i dont want the OP or anyone else to take this thread personally but to me it seems like people have been brainwashed into "do this or you go to hell" when their spirit cries out for more, hence pulling them to paganism but their fears wont let them detach from jesus or else they feel they go to hell.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

shadowx wrote:What others see in me is irrelevant, but i see your point though i still disagree.
:)

When you're trying to use your feelings as fact in an argument, it's important for others to distinguish the two. You haven't quoted any source, only your personal viewpoint, so it is relevent to the conversation.
Firstly let me state that the reason for my first reply in this thread was not to bash the OP but i just dont get the idea of a christian witch when christianity repeatedly states over and over again that you cannot worship anyone, or anything except god (and his essence in jesus and the holy ghost, though you MUST accept jesus as the one and only Saviour and the ONLY route into heaven.) that means you cannot worship, nor recognise the power of: Nature spirits (eg the oak/holly/sun/moon/earth/sea etc... gods/goddesses), the power of the elements, a god AND a goddess (while the bible refers to god as "he" i can accept that may be due to lack of understanding and thus "he" could be a "she" but you cant have both since that is two deities).
It's common in neo-paganist for there to be a belief in one Supreme, Primordial, Genderless deity, of which all other deities are an aspect of. It's not much of a stretch to say that GOD is the Supreme one and to chose to only worship that One. In the Bible, God is reported as saying to a council of gods that he is the only true Supreme god. It would be easy, as a wiccan, to accept that God embodies all the aspects present in wicca ( lord, lady, divine) but in calling on them you call on God, and accept him as the highest authority. God is also Everything, he''s in the grass, trees , flowers and animals, that a Wiccan can worship and appreciate.
That, at least from what i can see rules out most of witchcraft! I would *love* for someone to make a long, detailed post about how the two can fit together and still follow the bible. The reason i mention following the bible closely is because the bible is the rule book in the game of christianity. Just as a wiccan who doesnt follow the rede is no longer a wiccan, a christian who doesnt follow at least *most* of the bible is no longer a christian.
"The context of Exodus 22:18, as part of the laying forth of the Law of Moses makes it clear that its purpose to keep the religion of Yahweh's people distinct in its practices from those of the surrounding peoples. If an activity was part of the religion of a neighboring tribe, this in itself, rather than its own intrinsic evil, was sufficient to secure condemnation; condemnation meaning, of course, the necessity of death for the "offender". http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Christ ... witchcraft

There were various other religons during this time that used ritual, herbal medicines, and idols that represented a threat to the tribal worship of God. Remember, this was before Jesus came and said that God was now available to everyone, not just the Jews. It was very insular, it was very ethnic. Moses was also known to lead the tribe into raiding other villages, killing the men and raping the women. Not suffering a witch to live, was pretty basic with not suffering any outsider/separate faith to live, as long as it was a threat to the Hebrew tribe.

1 Samuel 15:23 (KJV) "For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft..."
defining witchcraft as a desire to be a spiritual free agent without submission to God or regard for His word.
1 Samuel 15:23 (NIV) "For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, he has rejected you
..."

It seems the biggest sin could be seen not as the act of witchcraft, but in the denial of God as the authority. If a Christo-wiccan worships and reveres God, and acts in his name, then is she really a "Witch"?

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Our Troth
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

The thing is... The act of witchcraft and the act of prayer are similar in many ways and different in one. The difference being that in prayer you ask someone else to do something, in witchcraft YOU are god and YOU make it happen yourself.

The lines can and do get blurred in some rituals of course... However the basis of Christianity and the practice of witchcraft are compatible, except according to the majority of believers that person is going to hell. (NOTE: I believe 0% of christianity and thus i dont believe anyone is going to hell ;) )

As a non christian i will admit that my sources and information is lacking however i would bet that 98% of all christians and a good 75% of non christians would agree that the bible says any witch goes to hell. While the beliefs of individuals do not change a religion such as christianity it's rules (ie the bible) seem to agree with the sentiment that witchcraft cannot be part of a christian's life, if it is then that person will go to hell. I cant quote the bible on this it is merely what i have been lead to believe through sources such as school, the internet and christian grandparents (who i rarely see, not because they are christians, but i just dont *shrugs*).

As for christian-wiccan i dont believe that is possible since the two are vastly different. One venerates the feminine in everything and is tolerant of all sexualities and lifestyles assuming they are harmless to all involved, the other to this day places women below men as an entire institution, some branches hate homosexuality, sex before marriage, even condoms and yet allows pedophilia (as an institution, not as individual views, and i am of course talking about catholics).

Christian witchcraft can work, but according to all i know about christianity, and popular belief, it condemns you to hell. Again, hell doesnt exist (and i am comfortable saying that, rather than "i dont believe it exists") so you are perfectly safe.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

shadowx wrote:The thing is... The act of witchcraft and the act of prayer are similar in many ways and different in one. The difference being that in prayer you ask someone else to do something, in witchcraft YOU are god and YOU make it happen yourself.
*Laughs* You aren't God or god-like for performing witchcraft. It's just another method of action. You get off the couch and get yourself some dinner, does that make you God? If you make hamburger helper, are you suddenly Emeril? You are still constricted by the laws of nature and at the mercy of the energies. A magician is like a thief with a lock pick for the house of energy, not the Master of the Domain. Deity is the master of the house. (Which, totally off-topic, gives me some new insight into Ergi. *ponders*)
The lines can and do get blurred in some rituals of course... However the basis of Christianity and the practice of witchcraft are compatible, except according to the majority of believers that person is going to hell. (NOTE: I believe 0% of christianity and thus i dont believe anyone is going to hell ;) )

Well, most of us are going to hell if we take it to mean the original philosophical principle: the absence of God. Even the "eternal hell-fires" refer to the fire pits of Jerusaleum where corpses/trash were thrown. The body would burn but death and judgement were eternal, hence, eternal hell-fires.
As a non christian i will admit that my sources and information is lacking however i would bet that 98% of all christians and a good 75% of non christians would agree that the bible says any witch goes to hell. While the beliefs of individuals do not change a religion such as christianity it's rules (ie the bible) seem to agree with the sentiment that witchcraft cannot be part of a christian's life, if it is then that person will go to hell. I cant quote the bible on this it is merely what i have been lead to believe through sources such as school, the internet and christian grandparents (who i rarely see, not because they are christians, but i just dont *shrugs*).
Rebecca was a revered prophetess. Moses had a magical staff. The disciples performed miraculous acts of healing. All of these things are what we would now call witchcraft, except their were down in the name of God, not in the religious beliefs of a different tribe.

As for christian-wiccan i dont believe that is possible since the two are vastly different. One venerates the feminine in everything and is tolerant of all sexualities and lifestyles assuming they are harmless to all involved, the other to this day places women below men as an entire institution, some branches hate homosexuality, sex before marriage, even condoms and yet allows pedophilia (as an institution, not as individual views, and i am of course talking about catholics).
There are ignorant people in every belief that refuse to let go of their idiotic opinions. ;)

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Our Troth
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

You are still constricted by the laws of nature and at the mercy of the energies
Well.... I dont believe there is any kind of god or goddess or anything more powerful than an experienced magi, i believe there are two types of spirits, animal and human. Of course humans are animals but for the sake of simplifying my point, let us separate them. I dont believe there is another, more intelligent or powerful type of being. I believe that an experienced "witch" is the most powerful entity in the universe.

Secondly everything that exists must exist within this universe. There may be other universes but i do not believe it is a simple matter of moving between them, thus any god must also exist in "our" universe and thus he or she would also be bound be the laws of physics. NOTHING can exist, nor function outside of a universe and everything inside a universe MUST and WILL obey the laws of physics, whatever they may be. Which is part of the reason i do not believe a god exists. Anyway, i digress. My point is this..... god in the sense of "i can do anything" does not exist, however you are the most powerful thing in your life. You control it, hence you are god.

Rebecca was a revered prophetess. Moses had a magical staff. The disciples performed miraculous acts of healing. All of these things are what we would now call witchcraft, except their were down in the name of God, not in the religious beliefs of a different tribe.
I would guess the staff of Moses was more of a beacon to his followers saying "hey, im moses over here, all of us may have beards and sandals but i have the staff, *i* am moses, follow my lead" i know it gets used in the stories as a magickal tool, namely parting the waters however moses did not part the waters, god did. At no point did anyone, except jesus, perform any magickal feat. Instead they channeled god, he did it all, they were merely the tools. I wouldnt describe that as magick, and since i dont believe in any god i cant believe it happened either, or if it did happen then it was indeed magick, however the stories claim it to be the work of god himself, not of the "caster" if you will.
There are ignorant people in every belief that refuse to let go of their idiotic opinions. ;)
Touche ;)

*shrugs*

On a related note... mentioned that the disciples and others mentioned in the bible as performing miracles did nothing themselves but rather god acted through them, making them ordinary people with no special powers. This i believe is a great example of the difference between christianity and witchcraft. In christianity, and i believe in Judaism and Islam you have no power at all, nothing. All you can do is ask an all powerful being to do something for you as a favour. Within witchcraft it is the other way around.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

shadowx wrote:
Well.... I dont believe there is any kind of god or goddess or anything more powerful than an experienced magi, i believe there are two types of spirits, animal and human. Of course humans are animals but for the sake of simplifying my point, let us separate them. I dont believe there is another, more intelligent or powerful type of being. I believe that an experienced "witch" is the most powerful entity in the universe.

Secondly everything that exists must exist within this universe. There may be other universes but i do not believe it is a simple matter of moving between them, thus any god must also exist in "our" universe and thus he or she would also be bound be the laws of physics. NOTHING can exist, nor function outside of a universe and everything inside a universe MUST and WILL obey the laws of physics, whatever they may be. Which is part of the reason i do not believe a god exists. Anyway, i digress. My point is this..... god in the sense of "i can do anything" does not exist, however you are the most powerful thing in your life. You control it, hence you are god.
Aaaaand, we're veering off-topic. The point of this post isn't how you view deity, but how Christinaity and Wicca could be compatible. Obviously in this discussion, deity is relevant.

But, even basic energy could be 'godly' since you are tapping into it's power. You are abiding by the Universal rules, not creating rules.

I would guess the staff of Moses was more of a beacon to his followers saying "hey, im moses over here, all of us may have beards and sandals but i have the staff, *i* am moses, follow my lead" i know it gets used in the stories as a magickal tool, namely parting the waters however moses did not part the waters, god did. At no point did anyone, except jesus, perform any magickal feat. Instead they channeled god, he did it all, they were merely the tools. I wouldnt describe that as magick, and since i dont believe in any god i cant believe it happened either, or if it did happen then it was indeed magick, however the stories claim it to be the work of god himself, not of the "caster" if you will.
On a related note... mentioned that the disciples and others mentioned in the bible as performing miracles did nothing themselves but rather god acted through them, making them ordinary people with no special powers. This i believe is a great example of the difference between christianity and witchcraft. In christianity, and i believe in Judaism and Islam you have no power at all, nothing. All you can do is ask an all powerful being to do something for you as a favour. Within witchcraft it is the other way around.
Again, the context here is Wiccan witchcraft, in which God is the supreme authority and how magic could be achieved under his guidelines. I think, whether you agree with the methods or intent behind the evidence shown, I've done a sufficient job of bridging the gap. These aren't my beliefs, either, you know. I'm just advocating for them.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Our Troth
Sythan

Post by Sythan »

With all respect to you I cannot see how anyone can be a Christian Witch. The Bible clearly states "Suffer not a Witch to live", its forbidden to practice Witchcraft and even Divination in the Bible.

"There shall not be found among you anyone that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer."
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

Sythan wrote:With all respect to you I cannot see how anyone can be a Christian Witch. The Bible clearly states "Suffer not a Witch to live", its forbidden to practice Witchcraft and even Divination in the Bible.

"There shall not be found among you anyone that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer."

Passing through the fire was: "Probably in the way of consecration to Molech, or some other deity. It is not likely that their being burnt to death is here intended. See on Leviticus 18:21 (note)."

Witchcraft etc and so on:"They were in danger; therefore, after many like cautions, they are charged not to do after the abominations of the nations of Canaan. All reckoning of lucky or unlucky days, all charms for diseases, all amulets or spells to prevent evil, fortune-telling, &c. are here forbidden. These are so wicked as to be a chief cause of the rooting out of the Canaanites."

Again, it wasn't the acts that God abhorred per se, it was the culture of opposing tribes. It was the reverence to other tribal deities. It's been made clear that God saw fit for prophecy, sacrifice, and miracles within his own beliefs. Saints are revered for outstanding supernatural deeds, that they performed through understanding and being connected with the divine nature of God. Much like Christo-wiccans are attempting.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Our Troth

Return to “Christian Witchcraft”