Self-efficacy

Talk about anything you want to here.
Traumwandlerin

Self-efficacy

Post by Traumwandlerin »

In my opinion, this is the basic of the craft part in magic, self-efficacy. The feeling and knowing that you sourself are capable of doing stuff on your own. The feeling that you can control parts of your life and change parts and are capapble of living on your own.

Not everyone has self-efficacy even if they live on their own and do a lot of stuff, somehow they lack this feeling of being capable of living on their own and take control over their lives. Cooking a meal you like, building your own furniture, doing a spell, make a magical amulet, all these things are signs of self-efficacy. And in case of the magical things, they won't work if you lack this feeling. You can make yourself a table and still believe you can't do nothing, but if you believe that you can't change things anyway, change will not happen.

A good way of heighten your self-efficacy is the experience of getting things done and have a positive influence on your life, of doing things on your own. Many witches in the craft do a lot of those craft-things like making their own candles, runes, bath-salt, jam and so on. I do this, too but I always wondered why we do this and others don't. And for me it's the feeling of being able to do those things. Not just go into a shop and buy stuff, but being able to do things with the stuff I have a home or I find outside or I know how to gather easily. So it's me doing it and not just me buying it. This gives me the feeling of self-efficacy. Doing a spell needs this feeling to work but will also enhance this if it works. So actually the more you cast successfully, the more you'll get the feeling of self-efficacy. This feeling is not only important in magical work, but it's also related to your feeling of self-worth. So even if you don't want to cast, it's still nice to push it up a bit ;)

Let's discuss :type:
Jadis

Re: Self-efficacy

Post by Jadis »

Magic as a self esteem boster? Interesting idea.

There is that school of thought that the more involved you are with your spells the better it works for you. If you can make it verse buy it you should always strive to make it. Putting emotional energy into the works.
Traumwandlerin

Re: Self-efficacy

Post by Traumwandlerin »

I didn't mean self esteem, those things are two different things. Also I want to pioint out the cycle, to work magic you need to feel self efficent. If you're magic works, you will feel more self efficent.

Return to “Member's Rants and Ramblings”