Connecting with Gods, Ancestors and Wights

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

(This is just a little summary on what I do to 'be heathen' on a regular basis.)

In the morning, when I make my pot of coffee, I usually pour out a second cup and leave it out on the table. I try to be specific about who it's for- some days I'm leaving a cup out for an ancestor as I believe they visit and watch over us. It's nice to think of a loved one sitting at the table in spirit, and enjoying the coffee in whichever way they can. Sometimes it's for the house wight, those land or nature spirits who like to take up residence in a home. I usually leave those offerings by the stove, and I know that if I scratch their backs, they'll scratch mine. Maybe our house won't be too badly hit by a storm for example. Rarely do I leave these types of offerings for the gods. It's too simple almost, in my opinion. It's not always coffee; if Mr. Berry picks up apple cider from the store then I'll pour out a cup of that, or I'll see a bag of honey roasted nuts at the store that I think someone would like. What I find interesting is that after awhile you sort of get a sense of what they want and are in the mood for.

After a few hours I take the offering outside for the land wight and place (or pour) it at the base of our grapevine. (Which is huge and grows up the patio like a tree). I was leaving these offerings by the rose bush, but after my third time doing so I was walking back to the house and my grapevine 'shivered' in a particularly meaningful way (to me, at least). Later, when I was sitting on the patio, I got the very strong sense of something by the grape vine and realized the land wight was making his home known. So now my offerings go there. :D

As for the gods; Close by our house is a wash ( what we call a dry creek bed in the desert) and a tall desert oak grows there. This is where I leave my offerings to the gods. It's definitely a different energy than with the wights or ancestors. It's something...darker, more powerful, more intimidating. Historically, heathens were known to worship in groves and would hang the heads of sacrificed animals from the branches of a particular tree. I don't do that obviously, but I do leave something by the base of the tree.

Aside from my offerings, I take the time at night to read whatever material I can find on the myths and history of the gods and ancestors. Sometimes I'll find a UPG confirmed by something in a book, which is always exciting and really evidence for me that I'm becoming familiar with something real. I also take time to sit out on the patio and watch the clouds. Frigga weaves this and I like to meditate on her and her roles and mythology. It was through watching the sky one night that I had my first serious experience with the gods. A dust storm was blowing in and the clouds were flying over the house and I really sensed Frigga in that moment. There was thunder and lightning behind me in the distance and there went Thor. As time has gone on I've felt other gods coming to take a look at me, or showing themselves to me. Just quiet moments. Sometimes when I'm out on the patio star-gazing I get the sense that there is a whole group of people watchign and moving around in the dark and these are my ancestors.

So, that's about it. Reading, leaving gifts, reaching out- pretty much sums it all up.

(It's weird how you can feel completely silly and embarassed to be admitting these kind of things, but at the same time know the truth of them. :|)
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Re: Connecting with Gods, Ancestors and Wights

Post by JuniperBerry »

So, I haven't fed my housewight in awhile and we've recently gotten a cat. Anyway, tonight my husband asked me why the cat is always sitting in the corner of the cabinets staring at the counter. Turns out the cat has been sitting there just staring a lot lately. Which is exactly the spot where I leave a plate out. (In fact, I just looked behind me and the cat is staring at the counter again.) Anyway, I left out of plate of banana slices, so hopefully my wight will get a full belly and go relax. :lol:
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
Asch

Post by Asch »

Your cat is awesome :)

Thanks for sharing all this, I have to confess I've been curious about how you 'worship' so to speak :D
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

I usually don't like talking about personal practice but more about the academics... But then I also like to ramble somtimes. :lol:

I'd like to find a group to get together with to blot and sumbel. The Sumbel is a drinking ritual where the horn of mead is passed around and the holder toasts the gods and ancestors and heroes. The blot was a ritual of sacrifice and invoking the gods to partake of the feast. Currently it is similar to the sumbel except that the bowl of mead (used to be mead and blood) is sprinkled on the participants and then poured into the fire.

Below is an example. It's from Europe but I've given you the general idea of what they're saying and the actions speak louder then words, anyway. I would have used an American vid but all I could find was wiccatru or reenactors. This video is the closest representation of what I would look for in worship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qOI3NEiSNY

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Our Troth
spook

Post by spook »

do you have a specific ancestor or just leave the offering to any ancestor that might be around?
do you say anything as you leave the offering or just think a thought form of why your leaving it there?
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

When giving to ancestors, sometimes it's just 'my ancestors' since I don't know who my ancestors were in, say, 500 c.e. Sometimes, if I'm thinking about a specific person then I leave it for them and I say something like "Good morning, [name]". And it's not just family, I'll also leave something out for any friends/loved ones that have passed on. (I believe setting a plate out for ancestors is also part of Jewish tradition on certain dates/holy days.) For my housewight, I don't always say something and if I do it's like, "Here ya go!". I'm obviously not very elaborate. ;)

During Yule my husband was out front and found a little grey bunny. Winter and rabbits are part of Holle's lore, as is a visit at the end of the year to check on your work, so I figured she had come by. That was a bit more elaborate. I solemnly set out a plate of baked goods and pastries and a cup of coffee at the head of the table, welcomed her to my home...and then busted my ass cleaning all day. :D

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Our Troth
spook

Post by spook »

thanks,sometimes for me it's a matter of the silly little details,to know if I am doing something wrong or if there IS a wrong way to do it.
:)
the only plate of foods I tend to leave out is during ritual or on November eve;I leave a plate of a baked good and an apple and a glass of some sort of milk and honey. I left thirteen homemade toasted pumpkin seeds last yr.
later I burry the apple in the yard.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

Reconstructing heathenry is all about the 'silly little details'. :)

Sounds like some yummy food you're offering.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Our Troth
nekcihc44

Post by nekcihc44 »

How do I know where to leave an offering for my house wight?? I've never done that before, for the gods and my guardian but never my house wight.
Celticgladiator

Post by Celticgladiator »

Hail!!! I know this is an old thread but I'm new here and ran across it. I like to leave offerings for the land wights whenever I can.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I do my offerings for the wights every Saturday, usually honey and milk. I will put out food sometimes for them. Usually bread with honey on it. I do offerings to my ancestors formally every Saturday and when I think of it. It's usually when I make something special like homemade soup or pie/cake/cookies. I sometimes have dreams where one of my ancestors I don't know gives me info on how to do something. I leave her something the next day. I don't know her name. I also leave items when I think of someone. Like butterscotches for my grandma's birthday. I have recently started doing offerings to the runes. I put a drop of blood in distilled water for them.

The Gods I tend to do more formally. I usually do beer for them.
Celticgladiator

Post by Celticgladiator »

I just started learning how to make mead so I have that for blòt or offerings

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”