My element

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
Armina

My element

Post by Armina »

From what I understand and have looked into my star sign is linked with Air as I am a Gemini. I do in fact posses some of these traits such as being reflective and think things through logically before I start on my ideas, However I lean more towards Water as I am an emotionally charged person

So my way of thinking is can you be drawn to all four elements, have a little of each or move between all four.

Sorry if someone has already posed this question and please move accordily :D
ImperfectAngel

Re: My element

Post by ImperfectAngel »

I believe that all the elements are within us and we posses quailties from each. Although our sun sign reflects and has the more dominent personalaity traits but your moon sugn also plays a big part.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

think things through logically before I start on my ideas
And yet you jump when someone says that your star signs dictates your entire life and personality? Interesting.

The star signs mean nothing. The elements are merely personality traits, air would be gentle, fluid and soft. not as forceful as water and more likely to avoid a situation rather than confront it or change it or indeed stand still and wait for the situation to path (fire, water and earth respectively) and this isnt because the "stars say so" but because of how the elements exist in physical nature. Air doesnt move a building out of its way, instead it adapts and moves around the building. The air is moved but unaffected. Water flowing through a river moves the boulders out of the way, carrying them with it as though they were feather light, eroding them slowly as they go. Fire burns its enemies clean out of the way, reducing them to ash and strengthening itself in the process. Earth stands solid, the rock face which can either be climbed or avoided but not moved.

YOU determine what "element" you are, the elements are inventions, mere words used to sum up a person in a short statement.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

The wiccan idea of elements was influenced by philosophical Alchemy. The concept is hardly a mere invention.
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
Armina

Post by Armina »

shadowx wrote:And yet you jump when someone says that your star signs dictates your entire life and personality? Interesting.
Fair point, all I was trying to say was that from all the information I had looked at it seems that what traits a person has can be seen more under this sign. I was trying to say that according to some of these I do.

So from what I understand we chose our own element that reflect how we are/ feel at that time and that we are fluid so like the elements move between them?
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I actually tend to fit quite well with my elemant - water - people tend to guess correctly with me. I'm the typical cancer down to a T though so that might be what people are seeing. Additionally I feel very connected to fire though - odd when you consider them as sort of opposites. I'm not that into zodiac but don't you have differebt signsa according to what day of the week/time of the day you're born on as well ? that could account for traits from other elements perhaps ?
xx
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

That is sort of my point, however.. I take a very cold and simplistic view of magick.

To me there are no gods etc... and no elements. Instead there is one source of energy, i dont believe it is pure or holy or godly etc... it just IS in the same way that heat energy just IS, it isnt bad or good or godly, it just exists. From there i believe we take in some of this energy sort of like the way we breathe in part of the air around us, and then i believe that we "filter" or "program" the energy, so for example if i were to cast some protective shield over myself because i felt i was being attacked by a psychic vampire i would instantly think of a RAGING inferno of flames all around me and hence surround myself with "fire" energy, the energy is flaming, it isnt hot and it doesnt come from some god like fire elemental, but what it does have are the characteristics of fire. For example, if you stick your face in a fire, you get burned. If you try to mess with a fire, you get burned. It is protective, burns away darkness and scorches the eyes and senses etc.. so that is what my "fire" energy would do. It wouldnt BE fire, but it would be LIKE fire.

In a similar way air, as a protective shield, would perhaps hide you in a whirlwind of activity, the swirling nature of a hurricane would fling the negativity away from you etc... You wouldnt be surrounded by air at all, or even by an "energy hurricane" etc.. but if your shield was done correctly then merely having those feelings inside you would mean that if i were to attack i would be flung away or if there is such thing as sight in the spiritual world then i wouldnt be able to "see" you properly. If you were to attack me then you would suffer pain in return (like you would be burned if you attacked a fire) etc...

With regards to "being" an element i think it isnt a case of choosing but merely your emotions and attitude and it is just a way of summing it up in one word. Again, back to fire i would say that a "firery" personality is warming, protective, loving to those who treat that person well and on the flip side they are liable to spontaneously erupt, either by going out and spending £2,200 on a camera one day (yup, done that) or indeed in a fit of rage at someone who cuts them up (done that too :P) and if you annoy a fire person then you will know it. So it is easier for us to say "oh, he is a fire person" than say "oh he is protective but if you annoy him blah blah blah"

To me the elements are worthless in a spiritual sense but are instead metaphors for how we act in life and how our energy feels and works. Some might prefer to hide themselves from an attacker, others might prefer to stand like a mountain in the attack without being harmed, others might want to destroy the attack until nothing remains and others might want to gently but firmly push the attacker away and keep them away with a constant and firm force.
Armina

Post by Armina »

I have a sort of got the jest of it now and thank you all for your opinions and good explanations. Makes much more sense to me now.

Kitty it could do but I am no expert.

Don't you also use element to balance out your home as in feng sui, to.
monkey babe

Post by monkey babe »

Yes I think so for I for you need all elements to live in harmony and they need to be in balance to truely live well with the things around you.

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”