Deconstructing Wicca: The Elements

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Deconstructing Wicca: The Elements

Post by JuniperBerry »

I thought it'd be interesting to deconstruct the foundamental elements of Wicca and discuss their origins, mythology and symbolism. This isn't to pick on Wicca, but just a deeper examination of it's basic structure and history.

Let's start with the four elements. Where did Gardner get this from? How is the modern idea different then the original? Do we see evidence of it in more than one culture?

(I have a general idea of where Gardner got his inspiration from, but I need to do some more reading about this myself.)
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Re: Deconstructing Wicca: The Elements

Post by JuniperBerry »

One of the main sources that inspired Gardner was The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. This order used the classical Greek system of elements first listed by philosopher Empedocles. The Golden Dawn then applied each element to a cardinal point and assigned watchtowers to guard these. It has been claimed that Gardner plagarized the initiation ritual of the Golden Dawn to create his own Wiccan ritual. The Order itself was founded by Masons who were also members of a Rosacrusian society that practiced Christian esotericism. The Rosacrusians were founded in medieval Germany by a secret society of mystics that claimed to be "built on esoteric truths of the ancient past", which, "concealed from the average man, provide insight into nature, the physical universe and the spiritual realm." This order itself was founded by an alchemist in the 1600's who traveled to the middle east and met with sages whom he claimed taught him Arabic philosophy and occultism.

The Golden Dawn Ritual:

1. An officer purifies the temple, East, South, West, North, by sprinkling water.

2. Another officer censes the temple in the same pattern as the first officer.

3. All the Officers circumambulate the temple three times.

4. The Candidate is led in with a threefold cord about his waist, blindfolded (or "hoodwinked")

5. The Candidate is given a new name.

6. The Candidate is then purified by being sprinkled, and then consecrated by being censed.

7.The candidate is then made to repeat an oath of secrecy. The phrases in these oaths bear a similarity: "...in the presence of...do of my own free will...most solemnly promise to keep secret...Furthermore, if I break this, my Magickal Obligation, I submit myself..." never to reveal the secrets...save in" and " if I fail...may...my power in Magic cease".

8. The candidate is led "sunwise" around the circle one and a half times North to South where he is stopped, challenged, and sprinkled and censed again. He is then led sunwise 1 and a quarter times to the west, stopped, threatened with a sword, made to give a password supplied by his guide. He is then led one and a quarter times to the north, one and a quarter times to the east, and the two procedures are repeated again, but in the East the threat is with a scepter. He is then led tot eh altar at the center.

9. Everyone kneels, and the Hierophant invokes the "Mighty One".

10. Candidate's blindfold is removed, and is formally accepted into membership.

11. The Candidate is shown various secrets.

12. The Candidate is sprinkled and censed yet again, has his threefold cord removed, and is given is badge of degree.

13. The Candidate is then proclaimed a new member to all present.

14. The temple is then closed by a counterclockwise walk around the circle.

The Greek classical elements were used to explain the nature of life, and were archetypes that explained the patterns in life. They also represent the realm of the Universe, where all things exist and therefore are created and were used in medicine and early science.

Any thoughts?
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”