Don't ask don't tell repealed!

Lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, and transgender discussion and questions.
love beats all (;

Don't ask don't tell repealed!

Post by love beats all (; »

Well, it's finally happened! President Obama has finally signed away 'Don't ask don't tell'! (= any thoughts or comments? I personally couldn't be happier =D
Asch

Re: Don't ask don't tell repealed!

Post by Asch »

I was delighted by this act I met more LGB people when I was active duty military than I ever did in my 'normal' life, and every single one of them was a credit to the service and their specialty. DADT was a barbaric and inhuman law, how we, as a nation could ask these fine people to be willing to die for us - but ONLY if they wore shackles of secrecy and denied themselves and their families recognition and basic rights was tragic. Maybe now people will realized that marriage is a civil contract and deserves to be equally bestowed as well!
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

Would someone care to tell all those non-americans about this "Don't ask, don't tell"-law?
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

If your gay and in the military if they find out you are kicked out. They 'say' its only if you tell it to people but if its even mentioned in an email and someone finds out you'll still loose your job and they do searches at night so really its a very very unfriendly law.
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

So now it's illegal to be thrown out of the military if someone finds out you are gay? :)
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

Not yet. Before the law was finally repelled awhile ago it was already deemed unconstitutional. A few more things need to be done before its safe to serve while enjoying the same genders company even in sweet words. Or rather Obama is dragging it along to make sure everyones fine with it instead of just pushing things quickly along. It may take a long time yet, sadly~
Asch

Post by Asch »

It will probably take about a year, although, Obama has 'pledged' that it will take only months. We shall see, regardless this unjust law was doomed, a court in WA ruled against it (I don't recall if it was Federal or a State court) and there were many signs that its end was inevitable. Nonetheless it's a great thing that is' being revoked, ideally this will spur a shift in momentum for other vital LGBT rights.
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

It could take longer, you're not giving the idiots in the US enough credit.
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

Well, I'm not in favor for the american military in general. But if someone is willing to serve there, I'm in favor for being allowed the way on is. But in regards what the american military stand for: no thoughts of oneself, not being individuals but brainless soldiers, I see why it's maybe not in favor to have homosexuals in their army, they are way to individual ;) You had to at least think once beyond the line, to accept yourself as homosexual, so much independent thought is probably too much.

But congrats :) Hope this and many other rights will go through all over the world :)
Starwitch Stone

Post by Starwitch Stone »

I'm happy to hear it. It's about time they repealed it.
Visit Everything Under the Moon for Love Spells, Money Spells, & Wicca Spells.
FenrisComesForth

Post by FenrisComesForth »

I was quite elated to find out. I now dont have to sneak and worry. still gonna sneak though.

Return to “LGBT Chat and Concerns”