A new documentary on Wicca?

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Ember Nightwolf

A new documentary on Wicca?

Post by Ember Nightwolf »

I'm not saying that for definite (hence the ?), but at witchfest international 2010 in november, I saw a film crew, filming presenter talking to a group of girls, saying how its been "such a journey", and that they had celebrated samhain, and now were at the witchfest and it was incredible... and so on. So, who knows, keep your eyes peeled for a proper, modern documentary of wicca! I think it was going to be on one of the main channels (sides of camera's), but I can't remember which. Fingers crossed!
There are three sides to a coin.
shadowx
Banned Member

Re: A new documentary on Wicca?

Post by shadowx »

If it was filmed at witchfest i can assure you it wont be accurate ;)
Ember Nightwolf

Just checking, do you know what the witchfest is and have you been before? It is a gathering of Wiccans, Witches, Druids... practically anyone pagan is welcome. There are a load of workshops, such as laughter yoga and Morris Dancing, and stalls selling robes and incense and stuff. Why wouldn't it be accurate just because of that? Plus, it wasn't just being filmed at Witchfest, they were talking about other things they had been up to, and obviously not based in Fairfield Halls, where witchfest is hosted. You never know, it sounded to me like they were being very positive. Please stop stating your opinion as a fact, we've yet to see if the program is warped or not, but we don't know. Fingers crossed it's not! : )
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

i used to be a member of the forum which organises and sponsors, and sells tickets for, witchfest. Many of the members there went to WF, some acted as IRL moderators and others held talks and were organisers. 99% of the people on that website were idiots and one of my friends went to WF this year and sad it was a laughing stock. Though i myself have never been.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

They always highlight the more extreme, vocal, or eccentric followers of a religion or sub-culture. Like Jesus Camp, or the snake-handlers and not the quiet suburban Christian.
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

^^ Uhhu.

Otherwise no-one would watch it. Even if the subjects were perfectly reasonable the documentary wouldnt have been (and in this case by all accounts even the subject wasnt brilliant but meh)
pelias3

Post by pelias3 »

given all the threads within wicca (and the pagan community in general) you could never make a proper documentary that made sense! so they follow the most extreme thread because its easy to spot. i used to go to a nice quiet moot with quite a lot of regulars but no huge numbers at any one time but the biggest support we ever got was when were supposed to be picketted by fundamentalist christians who thought we were a bunch of satanists! (they didn't turn up as it happens but it was a great night in the pub!). so documentaries like this just never show a true and COMPLETE picture even if they try! (note the recent one about scientologists - who didn't help themselves it must be said)
Ember Nightwolf

I agree, pelias3, they cant show the entire picture, i even doubt half of US know about ALL of the strands of wicca, but hopefully, just hopefully, it will shed new light onto it. :)

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”