Difference for traditional witch and wiccan

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
sammi_si

Difference for traditional witch and wiccan

Post by sammi_si »

If you are not sure you are a traditional witch or a wiccan.
Just browse the website I gave you below
The definition is clear and enjoy:)
http://www.empathys.co.uk/17.html
Fionn The Mutt

Re: Difference for traditional witch and wiccan

Post by Fionn The Mutt »

I agree with a lot of what was written there, although I feel that the word "warlock" is a little more complex than simply "oath-breaker," especially when the monks that coined the term weren't exactly trying to be friendly with the pagan folk that they were surrounded by.

Hmmm.... Maybe I should start a thread elsewhere...
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

i do not agree with this website it causing people to take the term traditional out of context from what the commonly accepted defintion to be. Most of the content i do be agree with but her way of defining I do not. Thats all :)
Zili

Post by Zili »

I agree with the majority of what is written on the site

warlock does mean "oath breaker" if it was a monk(s) who coined the term because they were not friendly with pagans its still used a a derogitory term. the majority of wiccans and witches will tell you that the view this term as a negative term, not as in someone who practices "black magick" as christians or ignorant people may put it, but as a term that is meant to be derogitory.

I did a paper on paganism in the renaissance era, i read a book written by the most well known witch hunter of the time, and its practically the guide to hunting and killing witches. He used he term "warlock" for males who had broken their christian vows, even if these men didn't practice magick/witchcraft at all and were simply caught committing a sin.
Fionn The Mutt

Post by Fionn The Mutt »

Yup. Definitely starting a thread elsewhere.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Fionn The Mutt wrote:Yup. Definitely starting a thread elsewhere.
Here's a recent discussion about warlock. You'd have to believe that the term originated as an insult, otherwise its on par with fundamental Christians calling witches devil worshippers. Just because its been used that way for a long time doesnt mean that is what it actually really means as members of this site would know all well that words/sounds have a greater meaning then the intent they are used with.

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... it=warlock
Ula

Post by Ula »

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”