Extracting Oils From Plants

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
SecretSilence

Extracting Oils From Plants

Post by SecretSilence »

I came across this page and just thought I would share it here for anyone who wants to try it. ;)
Essential oils are the aromatic oils extracted from flowers or herbs. Commercial oils are made through distillation and can be expensive to purchase. You can make your own essential oils by adding bruised flowers or plants to a base oil and steeping to retract the scent. This will not be as concentrated as a commercial essential oil, but the results will provide you with fragranced oil suitable for adding to potpourri mixtures or as a soothing body oil.

Things You'll Need:
  • * Base oil (safflower, almond, olive)
    * Fresh flowers/herbs
    * Glass container with lid
    * Plastic bag
    * Wooden mallet/rolling pin
    * Cheesecloth
Instructions:
  • 1. Gather flowers or herbs in the morning when the oils are at their peak. Pick herbs just prior to blooming, as they lose potency once they begin to bloom. Check the flowers or herbs for any signs of insects or insect damage. Rinse the plant with clear water and pat it dry with a paper towel. Place one cup of herbs or flowers in a plastic storage bag and bruise them with a small mallet or rolling pin. Bruise the leaves and petals just enough to cause them to release oils.

2. Prepare a jar with at least 1 cup of a good base oil. Many prefer to use olive oil, but any vegetable oil will do. Almond oil will give your essential oils a light scent that will complement almost any natural aroma and is a great oil if you intend to use essential oils on the skin.

3. Add the bruised flowers or herbs to the oil and seal the container. Allow them to steep in a warm area for 24 to 48 hours. Use caution and do not expose them to direct afternoon sunlight, as this will quickly heat the oil and cook the vegetable matter. Open the container and strain the flowers and herbs with a piece of cheesecloth. Return the oil to the jar and discard the vegetable matter.

4. Repeat the procedure for bruising the flowers and herbs and steeping for 24 to 48 hours at least three times or until the oil reaches the desired degree of fragrance. Store essential oils in dark bottles to block out light or store them in a dark area. Add essential oils to potpourri mixtures or use them as a body oil.
Taken From: "How to Make Essential Oil | eHow.com" - http://www.ehow.com/how_4541401_make-es ... z1KZc8eDBk
illbehere

Re: Extracting Oils From Plants

Post by illbehere »

i like it exept cheesecloth which i do not have =/ i hear a suitable substitute is a sock? is it possible to use a sock? and can the glass jar have contained something before you use it for this? any info would be great although i dont like how u just took it from a site =/ but yeah.. nice anyway
Ula

Post by Ula »

I use coffee filters when I don't have cheesecloth.
Amethyst_Stargazer

Post by Amethyst_Stargazer »

I like this! Thank you for posting!
LA-Fairy

Post by LA-Fairy »

I will have to try this!

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”