The Tarot Ways

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
roseonfire

The Tarot Ways

Post by roseonfire »

Divination is the art of recognizing a pattern in the events as they are and following that stream forward to predict where the outcome will lie if things continue as they are. This can be used to show us where we've been and where we are going. But more than that, it shows us where we are. It helps us to recognize what we may have ignored or not even given a thought to. Divination shows us the situation we're in, where we stand, and where the path will lead us if the course continues.

One of the most common forms of divination is the Tarot deck, a set of cards based in symbology to convey through their depictions that which is in the subconscious mind. With thousands of decks to choose from, you will find that the deck that works best for you is the deck that seems to "call" to you. You will find that not only is that deck more closely in tune with you psychicaly, but also that it will have the symbology in it that will easiest communicate to you. This is important when choosing a deck because while at first you will probably find yourself giving a "book" reading, after you get accustom to reading Tarot you will find that the cards will start to "speak" to you, leaving you to judge a card's meaning based on your intuition. This will generally lead to a great improvement in the quality and depth of your readings.

Now, how do the cards communicate with us?

As it was once explained to me, all knowledge is kept within a collective unconsciousness, which we may tap into to learn of a specific question we have. Subconsciously, we know the answer to both the question and the position of every card in the deck. When we shuffle, the subconscious more or less stacks the deck so the cards are in place to answer the question. Because you know, subconsciously, why each card is in the position it is, seeing that card come up will translate that knowledge from your subconscious mind to your conscious mind, using the card's symbology as a medium through which the knowledge can travel. This is why it is commonly said that you should try to not focus on shuffling, let the subconscious take over for that, and to shuffle until you feel the deck is ready.

The most popular layout of the Tarot is the Celtic Cross spread, developed by A.E. Waite while a member of the Golden Dawn to be taught amongst the Order. A breakdown of this spread is as follows:

The Significator- this card represents the person who's cards are being read.

The Environment- this gives a look at the current situations and influences affecting the person.

The Obstacle- this represents something, or someone, in the person's way. This is generally something that must be overcome.

The Crown- the best the person may obtain if things continue as they are.

The Tools- what the person has to work with at the moment.

The Past- from where the person is coming from; what has led them to where they are now.

The Future- the influences that are coming into play.

The Self- how the person stands on the matter and their attitudes towards it.

The House- the environment as it will be in the events ahead; people, events, feelings, ect.

Hopes and Fears- how the person will face the situation and one hope or fear they will hold through it.

The Outcome- where everything will eventually lead to.

From the Significator up until The Future, you get a sense of where the person is coming from on the matter and how things stand now. The Future onwards, then, tells where the current situation is going. All things in what is to come still remains unseen, truly, though. This is because you can only be shown where things are leading. This is only where they will end up if things remain unchanged. Knowing is half of what it takes to change it.
The Goddess is like the moon itself, guiding us in our darkest moments.
roseonfire

Re: The Tarot Ways

Post by roseonfire »

And here is another layout for the more advanced, around intermediate, reader.

10---6-2-7---13
-9----4-1-5---12
-8-------3------11

13 card layout---- Empathic Tarot Spread, developed by Charles Edward Whaley III

*Main

1) Personality (Signifier)

2) Current feeling towards a situation

3) Why the feeling is

4) The outcome that the subject desires

5) The path the desire for this outcome will lead to

6) The Outcome of this path (as plans don't always work out)

7) How the subject will take the outcome

*Pillars of light and dark- 3 cards for each, left column for dark, or negatives of the path and outcome,

and right for the light, or positives of the path and outcome.

Dark
8) Main downside to path and/or outcome
9) A fear or doubt while on the path
10) A trial (large or small) that the path will present

Light
11) Main up-side to the path/outcome
12) A hope the path and/or outcome will inspire in you
13) An aspect of the subject that will grow from the experience
roseonfire

Post by roseonfire »

This is the layout I use for my own readings most of the time as I found it gives me more detail and depth than the Celtic Cross spread. For beginners, I would start with Celtic Cross while you learn. For those with a basic understanding of the Tarot, I would recommend giving the Empathic Layout a try and see how well it works out for you. Later, as I don't really have the time for it at the moment, I'll come back here to post an introduction on creating a spread of your own for the more advanced readers as well.
roseonfire

Post by roseonfire »

This is the follow up article I promised.

Throughout my time as a Tarot reader, I've run across questions where a general spread just isn't right for determining the answer. Beyond this, even for a general reading there is still so much more that you could include to give your reading more depth, both for yourself and the seekers that come to you for guidance. In these scenarios, it would be better to design a layout yourself. My first time I did this, it was for an empathic friend of mine with interest in learning Tarot. I ended up being glad that I had made the layout as it gave my own readings a whole new depth and dimension. Later, seekers had come to me with questions that I did not feel a general reading was suitable for. In these situations, I felt a need to create a new spread on the fly to be tailored to their question. As a Tarot reader, I've found the ability to do this to be an important tool in my inventory.

So how do you make a layout?

To aid my explanation, I'll use an example through it. The first thing you need is to determine the need for the layout. One of the most asked questions of a reader by a seeker is relationship related, so this shall serve as the need for my example. Next, you need to determine the content for the spread. Keep in mind that each position should have a specific reason for its place, beneficial to obtaining a look at what the cards have to say for the seeker's question. For my example, as a relationship spread, we should look at both parties involved, as well as the relationship as a whole.

Now, let's make a base in the spread for defining where the relationship stands, to be expanded upon later. First, as a relationship is usually between two people, we'll have a card to define each of them. Then, we need to define the state of the relationship. After that, we need a card each to define the seeker and their partner's views of the relationship.

With a base defined, we should then look at a give-and-take. So we should have a card for each person to determine what they bring to the relationship. Next, let's have a card for each for what they do not bring to the relationship, and a card for why.

Once we have this, we need to bring a close to our spread. So let's start by defining what each person needs to work on the most for the benefit of the relationship. Then close it by defining where the relationship is currently headed.

So our completed layout is now:
1) the seeker
2) seeker's partner
3) state of the relationship
4) how the seeker views the relationship
5) how the partner views the relationship
6) what the seeker brings to the relationship
7) what the partner brings to the relationship
8) what the seeker doesn't bring to the relationship
9) the reason for this
10) what the partner doesn't bring to the relationship
11) the reason for this
12) what the seeker needs to work on most
13) what the partner needs to work on most
14) where the relationship is currently headed

I hope this helps some of you. Feel free to use this layout, it is another original. If you have any questions or comments, post for discussion. Also, feel free to pm if it's too personal.
roseonfire

Post by roseonfire »

And also, for the beginners, I shall also post times best for divination. Although divination may be done at any time, this is just a look at the best times for it.

The full moon- this is the best time for divination, as the full moon's power makes the power of divination at its peak.
Birthdays- a great time to divine the coming year for the seeker/you
New Year (Gregorian or Celtic calendar)- a time to reflect upon the changes of the last year, and on what the new year has in store.
Before a major decision- Tarot, and other divination, offers guidance and insight to what lies ahead and can be a useful tool when you are considering a major decision so that you can see where you stand on the matte and what may come from it.
roseonfire

Post by roseonfire »

And also, the Witch School version 2.0 is supposed to be a place for some discussion, yet none really exists on any of the existing threads. So let's get some going.
For this thread, how do you perform a reading? What methods do you use? How do you get the question into the deck? Do you shuffle or let the seeker shuffle? What is you favorite deck? What is your favorite spread? Do you use any custom spreads?

Or more, questions. Do you have a question on anything I've talked about here, or on Tarot in general? Asking a question is, in itself, a contribution to the discussion as it not only helps you learn, but it also helps others who come here learn. If someone were to come across this, your question could also be something they were looking for as well, or even something they hadn't even thought about but will still help them, as well as you, to deepen their understanding of Tarot. So, please, feel free to contribute to this thread. It isn't just MY thread. And contributing to it can help everyone learn, whether you are experienced or not. And not just here, but on the other threads in the school as well. Do you have something you can contribute to it? Either you ways, your knowledge, or your questions, it all counts.

So I challenge all who come here. Add something to this and get a discussion going. Even if all you have is just a question.
Netalula

Post by Netalula »

What is the different between Oracle Cards in Tarot Cards?
roseonfire

Post by roseonfire »

Tarot, for the most part, has a set structure. Major Arcana, Minor Arcana, and the four suits. Oracle cards do not follow a set structure and even how many is in a deck can vary GREATLY from deck to deck, ranging from around 30, to 200. Tarot generally just has the 78 set cards. Also, many of the Oracle decks are built to focus only on lighter aspects and completely leave out the darker aspects all together.
Netalula

Post by Netalula »

Oh... because i got myself a set of oracle cards by accident instead of tarot cards... But thanks!
roseonfire

Post by roseonfire »

Welcome. You can still use them for divination if you want to study the deck you got, it's just that chances are that you won't have the full ability to view as much as you can with it. But it'd still be great for self development.

Return to “Tarot Talk”