Locro: An Ecudorian Potato Soup

Share your recipes and food tips here.
Twine
Banned Member

Locro: An Ecudorian Potato Soup

Post by Twine »

Okay, so it may not be 'magical' in the literal sense, I do make a mean locro. In attempts to perhaps widen the culinary classics into a worldy gourmet, I offer you my own recipe. (I must warn you, I have absolutely NO measurements, so you're just going to have to bare with what I give you. XD)

Ingredients:
Olive oil
Fresh garlic (minced)
A bag of potatoes (about 5 or 6, peeled and chopped)
1 carton of chicken stock
Milk (whole, if possible. Maybe even a dab of half-and-half)
An assortments of spices including, but not limited, to the following: Chile powder, chili flakes, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, onion powder and cilantro.
A few handfuls of white cheese (mozzarella, queso or muenster)
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (optional)

Pot
Wooden spoon (really, it's a necessity)

1. Add enough olive oil to a 'potion pot' (not a cauldron, but big enough to make a potion in) to coat the bottom and add in the minced garlic and any dry spices you intent to add. Heat on lower heat until thoroughly aromatic. Trust me. You'll know when it's ready.
2. Add stock and bring to a rolling boil. Add potatoes and peppers (if using them. Only use one or two), reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost completely cooked. If you need to play with the heat, go ahead, I always do.
3. This is the fun part. Add the milk (1-2 cups) and with the back of your spoon, begin mashing the potatoes on the side of the pot, then stirring them back in. This will quickly thicken the soup. I like mine almost all mashed, but it's a personal preference. Finally, add in the cheese and decide if the thickness suits you. Too thick, add some milk. Too 'soupy' add more cheese.
4. Fin! Now just throw the stuff in a bowl, garnish with some more cheese and chipotle hot sauce and BAM! Sex. In you mouth. Then you dance the rumba and fiesta... No, that's not optional. :)

If I have satisfied at least one person's tastes buds by posting this, I have done my job. B)
Tylluan

Re: Locro: An Ecudorian Potato Soup

Post by Tylluan »

lol job done! I love soups and this sounds great, I like the punch of the chilli. Also useless fact of the day, did you know that you would need to eat approx 7 oranges to get the same amount of vitamin C found in one jacket potato :)
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
Twine
Banned Member

Post by Twine »

Cora wrote:lol job done! I love soups and this sounds great, I like the punch of the chilli. Also useless fact of the day, did you know that you would need to eat approx 7 oranges to get the same amount of vitamin C found in one jacket potato :)
I like you already, what with your wealth of nutritional and plant facts! ^^
I did not know that, but I will surely add that to my memory bank. Also, at the mention of chilies, it is a nice kick. Ecuadorian dishes (like most Native Latin American dishes) tend to be a bit on the bland side. I'm not a bland person and find bland food to be a travesty, therefore, I kick it up. Not to mention the smokiness of the chipotle adds an amazing undertone for the sweetness of the potatoes. :)
Tylluan

Post by Tylluan »

lol stick around with me Twine and we'll educate the world :) Cayenne pepper is good in socks to warm your feet up ;)
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
FireQueen

Post by FireQueen »

Wow Twine! This recipe definitely sounds like it's sex!.... erm.... I mean delicious! :)

Am going to try it out this weekend.

Many thanks for sharing and brightest blessings.
No one in the world can alter truth. All we can do is seek it and live it.

Return to “Food and Recipes”