What are druids?

A forum for people who follow or are interested in the spiritual path of Druidry (whether neopagan, mesopagan, or reconstructionist), the ancient Druids, and Celtic culture.

Modern Druidry is a 300 year old path that focuses on nature spirituality and inner transformation founded on personal experience rather than dogmatic belief.
LittleBit1309

What are druids?

Post by LittleBit1309 »

What are druids exactly? (stupid question, I know. Just bear with me! :wink: )
illbehere

Re: What are druids?

Post by illbehere »

i beleive their basically Celtic / Gaelic practioners of witchcraft. they mainly praction nature based magick as far as i know. and they worship nature gods like dagda and curnunnos etc. yeah basically their very intune with nature and follow a very old way. its hard to join unless your a part of a druid family though ^^

hope i helped <3
black dove

Post by black dove »

I'm not well read on them, but I do plan on studying them more over the next year. According to what I understand, druids were basically more spiritual nature scientists. They believed in God(s) and a lot of Wiccan beliefs, but cross that with a scientist (botanist, astrologist, alchemist, etc.) from the old times. If I'm right thats what they were.

Also, this may be faulty, but I believe that I've read something about Druids attending certain universities for 20 years or something to catch up on gathered knowledge from their predecessors. Thats a lot of knowledge. As I said, before though, I may be wrong about everything I said, but I believe I read reliable material and comprehended it quite well.
Just looking for the answers to life.
)O( Blessed be
Raconteuse

Post by Raconteuse »

Illbehere is pretty dead on except for the joining part that's actually not in play anymore, now anyone can become of the Druid beliefs. It use to be very elitist and some covens still are especially in the UK but not so much in other parts of the world. And technically speaking Celtic/Gaelic are languages not a people.
LittleBit1309

Post by LittleBit1309 »

oh. I see. thanks for the explanation, most of what I read to understand just confused me even more... This I understand.
Blessed Be. smileydance
illbehere

Post by illbehere »

no gaelic i might give you its a name of a langugae irish in irish. i speak fluent irish :P but yeah. "The Celts" are the first settlers in ireland as i have read in my history books.. although i dont trust it :P. so that mean your a Druid Raconteuse? id love if you'd private message me about your beleifs and the initiation phases. WindWeaver is a druid on this forumn but he didnt really take an interest in replying to me, he only talked to higher people in private messages, like Raven and Starwitch. i better stop before i write a giant paragraph.
Raconteuse

Post by Raconteuse »

@Illbehere: no my darling I'm not of the Druids but my great grandfather was as was other generations be fore him on his side. I follow the Welsh pantheon as did my great great gand parents as I am half Welsh I wish to follow that calling. So I know quite a bit about it despite my non interest in following it butb I know of it. When I have a bit of time I would like to reply to you on your question of initiation as of now I am in the middle of photoshoots for a spring collection so when I've time I certianly will.

Return to “Druids and Druidry”