Dreamer's Forest II

Post your short stories, articles, etc. here.
Forest Girl

Dreamer's Forest II

Post by Forest Girl »

FROM "A Secret in the Forest, CHAPTER FOUR - Dreamer's Surprise (pages 77 - 79) :

“Unfortunately, all fey have a trait that many humans have difficulty accepting. It is a trait that is as natural and needed by us as breathing. It can best be described in your language as … naughty?”

“Oh yeah! Lily has that trait all right!” Will laughed.

Lily made an immature face at her brother.

“Thank you for the perfect demo, Lilybug!”

“Son, hush!” Mark shook his head at Will. “Go on Dreamer, please.”

“For many hundreds of years we lived among humans in peace. During this time our race would occasionally play pranks on our human neighbors; usually, because of some minor offense originated by the human. We felt if our duty to teach them lessons.

“Humans have always known that we have an advantage, we have abilities beyond yours. Most humans accepted our pranks for what they were … harmless lessons. It seems that as time went on, some humans became angry at our pranks and began to seek ways to get even. They sought revenge and sometimes it got out of hand.

“The fey have no qualms in harmlessly harassing a human who has made himself our enemy. So, if could be said that some of the persecution against us was not completely unwarranted.”

“Are you saying you started the conflict?” Professor O’Conor asked.

“No! We did not!” Dreamer shook his head. “We played pranks. We teased and harassed. But, we never destroyed nor injured. Our naughtiness is in fun or to teach a lesson. We did not purposely hurt others.”

“It wasn’t fun to the human victims,” Rachel said. Her voice was quiet and without accusation.

Dreamer met her gaze and nodded. “You are quite right. We have learned the hard way that humans do not understand our playful nature.” He looked at Lily and then at Will. “We paid a high price. While we played harmless pranks, the humans responded with destruction.”

“What kind of destruction?” Stacy asked.

“They destroyed our property and some caused injury.”

“And it kept escalating. Didn’t it?” Professor O’Conor shook his head sadly.

“Aye. It turned into hatred against our kind. It eventually led to some of our kind being killed.” Dreamer went back to his spot on the floor next to Lily. She took his hand.

He smiled up at her. Then he continued his story. “For awhile we fought back. While we never killed a soul, our mischief became their proof that we were evil and should be expelled from their communities. Some who had seen displays of our abilities accused us of being possessed and they called us demons. They said we were using a dark magic.”

“It sounds like most wars in history … caused by a misunderstanding that got out of hand,” said Will.

Dreamer nodded. “Some humans tried very hard to understand us. They knew we were not malicious. A few actually did understand our sense of playful naughtiness. They knew it was our nature. They recognized we meant no harm with our pranks and like us, they wanted to keep the peace between our races.”

“These became Fey Watchers?” Mark asked.

“Only the most trusted ones."

FROM "Moonlight in the Forest" CHAPTER NINE - Return to FeyTerrah (pages 133 - 138) :

Dreamer strode to the window and looked out. He did not want the king to see his frustration. The king was right; though Dreamer was a young elf, he was not impatient by nature. However, he was made of flesh and bone and had needs and desires. While he was known for his loyalty and devotion to the two women he’d been promised to earlier, he was ready to move on.

Dreamer did not want to postpone the ceremony. He had lost Summer. He had lost Holly. He was tired of losing. He had Lily and wanted to begin his life with her. Now. He had waited long enough.

He turned to the king. “My thoughts are that we have another option to bring the kings to the Western Quarter.”

“You have my complete attention.”

“The dragons.”

The king and queen sat forward and looked at the young elf with great interest.

Lily frowned up at him in confusion.

“If we were to travel by dragon, we could get messages to all the other kings within days.” Dreamer explained. “Moreover, I believe we should include the dragons in our meetings. Our decisions will have an impact on their race as well. In fact, once told, I am sure Galbraith will insist on being present.”

“Are you proficient enough in their language?” King Solren asked. “Would you be able to serve as translator? I understand that Everett is still on his sabbatical journey, we can not summon him to speak for us.”

“I am ready.” Dreamer nodded. “My training with Uncle Everett is complete, it is time I practiced my skill.”

Lily raised her hand and frowned. “Excuse me! What exactly are you talking about, Dreamer?”

“The dragons of Dragon Mountain in Blue Scale Forest.”

“Yes, I remember Nicholas taking me there. But what are you talking about traveling by dragon and translating for them?”

“I am suggesting that they take you and me to the kings. They are much faster than horses or ships and we should be able to get to the Southern Quarter within a day and …”

“Whoa! They will take us?”

“Aye?” Dreamer wondered at the apprehension in Lily’s tone.

“So wait. What you are saying, is, that we have to ride on a dragon to travel to the Southern Quarter?” Lily asked with unease.

“Correct. We would journey to the other three quarters that way.”

Lily got up and paced in a half circle. “Uh uh! No way! No how! Nope!” She announced, shaking her head emphatically.

Dreamer hurried over to her and took her by the shoulders forcing her to look at him. “Lily! Please!” He hissed as he glanced in the direction of the king.

Lily turned her head refusing to face Dreamer. “Whatever. I am not riding a dragon anywhere. You are not going to get me anywhere near one of those beasts.”

Lily didn’t see the icy glower in Dreamer’s eyes before he released her. He turned to face the king and queen.

“Your Majesty, please.” He simply said.

King Solren immediately understood Dreamer’s meaning by the tone of his plea and the radiance from the pixie shine that had begun to rise in his countenance.

The king stood. “We will speak about this later, Dreamer. I agree it is the quickest means to arrange our meeting. I’m sure you are correct about Galbraith. Rhiannon from the Northern Quarter will be quite interested as well.”

King Solren held his hand to the queen and Eithne took it and rose to her feet as well. “We will leave you to speak with your promised one.” She said in a gentle voice.

Dreamer bowed to the king and queen as they left.

When they had shut the door, Lily turned to Dreamer. She was shocked to see absolute fury in his eyes. She noticed an inner glow in his face, the beginning sign of pixie shine. She realized he was livid. “What are you fuming about?”

“Lily, please. Do not ever do that again.”

His voice was low and Lily couldn’t mistake that he was controlling his anger.

“What? Do what? What did I do?” Lily truly had no idea and she was just a bit irritated at his sudden moodiness.

Dreamer stared at Lily in disbelief for several seconds before answering. “Do you in truth not know?” He shook his head. “Lily, you behaved most improperly before their majesties. How dare you speak with such prejudice against one of the noblest races of our world! You behaved as though the dragons are monsters to be feared!” Dreamer ran his hands through his hair in frustration. “Curses Lily! I told you before that the dragons are misunderstood.
You’ve been told about the persecution they endured from men. How dare you
behave so shamefully when I mentioned how they can help us? Do you think I lied
to you about them?”

“King Solren and the queen didn’t make a big deal about it,” Lily spat in her own defense.

“They were speechless, Lily! Your behavior shocked them. Or did you not see the look of surprise on their faces.” Dreamer shook his head and sighed heavily. “You still have so much to learn.” He turned toward the window.

“Stop it! Okay? Just stop it!” Lily stomped her foot as she raised her voice at him.

“I beg your pardon.”

“Stop the condescending treatment I am not stupid, Dreamer. Look, I do remember what you told me about dragons. I do realize that they are misunderstood and I am sorry about that. However, you need to understand me as well. In Otherworld I was not taught that they were a noble race. I was taught that they are scary monsters that eat maidens, okay?” Lily took a deep breath and gave Dreamer a look that asked for understanding. “Don’t you get it? My reaction was just that. A reaction. I am trying to learn. I just can’t help it that I am not a quick study.”

Dreamer’s first impulse was to go to Lily, hold her, and tell her everything would be okay. But he was truly upset with her. Instead he went to a chair and curled up, pulling up his legs and resting his chin on his knees. He watched her and
waited.

Lily had plenty of fey in her. But she had a very strong human trait that he not like. She offered excuses for her shortcomings. He’d noticed her do it before
and he would refuse to encourage it. He doubted she’d react favorably if he
pointed it out to her now.

Lily looked at Dreamer. He stared impassively at her.

“Well?” she asked.

“When you are ready, we will discuss our travel to the Eastern Quarter.” He said calmly.

Lily approached him. “Are you still angry with me?”

“Aye. I am. But that doesn’t change matters. We must go to the kings or postpone our wedding.”

“Do I have to go?”

Dreamer frowned. “You would still refuse a meeting with the dragons?”

“Well …”

Dreamer stood and faced Lily. He forced himself to not lose his temper. “Lily! I am only the sixth in our world’s history, and the first one born in three hundred years, who is able to speak Dragon. It is a gift to speak their tongue. It is not a language one can choose to learn. You must be able to master the sound; and that ability is rare. No one knows why the gift has only appeared in my family’s line.

“The dragons are ancient, noble, and responsible for much of the beauty of our world. If you are to be my wife, Lily, you must be gracious and hospitable to them. Moreover, it is your duty, especially as a princess of the house of the king of this domain!”

“But …”

“No! Stop it! Do not make excuses, woman. I will not hear them. It is your duty to become acquainted with the dragons; and as princess and daughter of the Merryfield House, you will accept it!”

Return to “Creative Writing”