Some Tips on Starting a Coven

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

Really...this is just some free advice from what I have seen over the years...take from it what you would like. I don't pretend to be the know all of it.
When thinking about forming a coven a few things must be kept in mind.

1.How many members?
2.What are the parameters that all members interact with each other?
3.What are the parameters of the beliefs?
4.What is the flexibility of these beliefs?
5.What code of conduct do you have for the group?
6.What code of conduct do you have for the individual?
7.How do you accept new members?
8.Disciplinary guides?
9.System of hierarchy?
10.Benefits of the group?

1.The more members there are the more probability of personalities conflicting. Start with a few people whose beliefs you know and understand. These people should know each others personality, all the pro's and con's of that personality. Why? These will be the core part of the group. People will come and go but the core of the group will continue. If there is a strong core, then the jealousy and bitterness of members who come and go (and there will be that!) can't break the group themselves. Don't be eager to accept people simply to gain numbers.

2.The more the members are intimate with each other life can be a two edged sword. On one hand it brings the group close. This is a plus. On the other hand, it can lead to gossip and backstabbing simply because they know too much. So how do you ease into a happy medium? Well...remember these are your magickal friends. You can be close magickally without being over personal. You wouldn't meet someone and spill your whole life to them within two weeks would you? You would take steps. Same here. Being Pagan doesn't mean instant sainthood. Take time to get know each other. Start on the magickal level first. Not everyone has pure intentions.

3.Be very clear on the groups beliefs. You don't have to be condensending...but spell it out in plain and simple english. Seriously.

4.After defining the above....decide how open to new belief systems you want to be. Then define who you trust to explain, explore and define these systems. Find a few teachers you trust and make it manditory for the group to attend classes or lectures about these systems prior to embracing them. This way, you know what the group is doing...but moreover, you leave no one behind in knowledge. This is how you grow as a group. It's called expansive group learning...and after all...isn't that what you expect from a group? Invite teachers to lecture, teach and give workshops to your group. Just make sure you don't have a crackpot to teach. You have to remember...not all "teachers" know what they are doing. And certainly just because someone called themselves a "teacher" "High Priest" "High Priestess" etc makes them qualified.

5.Set out guidelines of expected behaviors. To name a few: gossip, affairs between people, outside work excluding some members, drugs, sex, trying to draw lines in the sand for a "witchwar", discipline, if you have a problem how to behave, dependability. It is important how everyone understands these guidelines so please...spell it out simple.

6.The above applies but then you should have a the core group become a committee that listens and conducts hearings of problems between individual's. One that will listen unbiased and convene to try to settle...NOT take sides. This should be for the group and for the individual. In other words, if someone is having a problem...there should be a committee that they can go to so that the problem can be faced and settled. However, one main individual rule should include that anyone goes to someone other than that committee to try to gain favor or sides, that person is dismissed. Nip in the bud. Trust me!!

7.Have a system. An interview process. Like: Have you been kicked out of a group? And Why? What do they expect from your group? Tell them what you expect. What your rules and guidelines are. Convene to discuss it. Have them return in a day or two. If they return knowing your expectations and you like what they had to say. But them as a probational member for a month. Have them work within the group. At the end....have the group have an open discussion on their opinion. If you are approached. Talk to each individual and then the individuals together.

8.Set out consequences for actions.
9.Don't have a system of hierarchy. This leads to competition and jealousy. Everyone besides the core group should be able to write and switch roles in rituals, ideas, group discussions etc. The core group maintains a level of control not given up to others.

10.Have individual BOS but also a group one that new members can consult. Have the core members continually striving to add things to this book for others to consult. Learn something new? Add it. Someone in the group have a suggestion or something new they learned? Have a suggestion book or box that is looked at after each meeting. Take whatever is in that box and research it for a group discussion for the next meeting. Remember...expansive. Have suggestions on how to expand on what was suggested...even if it is to change a dynamic in the group or perhaps a ritual. As the core members, you should be informed and educated about the subject...pros and cons...before opening it up to the whole group. Remember...they joined to look for guidance and bonding...not for them to worship you because you gave yourself a title.

Remember to do fun things as well....bake sales for the group. Talk to local stores and ask if you can do that for the group. Most stores shouldn't have a problem with supporting a small bake sale now and again for the good of the group and the community. Have a great time and good luck!

You should know that I don't speak from the side of having run a group but from a standpoint of a teacher, someone who takes in interns (and it is quite like having a group) and from years of consulting different covens and groups and individuals for just these things.

I hope I have provided you with some sort of foundation to help you!!
~ Jymie Darling, Co-Owner of Panpipes Magickal Marketplace, Hollywood CA

Feel free to repost this anywhere just do so in it's entirety.

Contributed by: Jaymie of Pagan Day Festival
Symandinome
Banned Member

Re: Some Tips on Starting a Coven

Post by Symandinome »

Theres are excellent tips
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Some Tips on Starting a Coven

Post by Firebird »

In my group the hierarchical order is what determines the core group and ultimately the "Council". The order is more of a stepping stone system to ordination. It thus far hasn't created any jealousy or other riffs, is does point out that these people are on a path, and it takes 3+ years to become a "High Priest/ess". Not everyone can spend that kind of time learning. We are pretty all inclusive in the group, so "uncorded" folks don't get left out, thus no jealousy. BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”