Wands 101

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

Are apple, cherry, and pear trees good for making wands?
hocus pocus93

Post by hocus pocus93 »

i use wands most of the time im my rituals. all i done was found a beatufil looking stick added a crystal on it cleansed it and used unti i can afford to buy one of them crystal wands that cost about £400.00 (expensive for a wand). yes it does matter about the type pf wood used because each tree has a different meaning .
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Wow. That oak tree really sounds special, wolfwitch. Best of luck getting that wand.
Are apple, cherry, and pear trees good for making wands?
Yes. Fruit trees are great for fertility, healing and love magic. I grew up surrounded by the trees you ask about, so here's my two cents.

Apple is the most all-purpose wood listed. Apples have a very long and old association with love, healing and sustenance, not to mention the love of deity.

If you are at all influenced by the Judeo-Christian side of things, Apples represent the knowledge of Good and Evil, and represent Free Will.

To the Celts, the apple was the silver bough, which leads one into the land of the Fair Folk.

To the Greeks, it represents the Golden Apples of Immortality, and of course, Iris's Apple of Discord.

Cherry makes beautiful wands. They have a fire-water thing going on, and are very much in tune with "Perfect Love." You can also use them for aura cleansing and work for well for other kinds of energy work.

In Japan, cherries are all about love, and also the temporary and beautiful qualities of Life.

Pear wood is interesting. There's something shape-changing about it.
Some people don't like it... I guess it feels chaotic to them. I think of the Fair Folk for some reason, though most folks would say the same about apples. It's an especially good healing wand. It's not subtle, though.

In some traditions, you should only use fruit trees or edible nut bearing trees for wand making.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

deleted duplicate post.
[Enlightenment]

Post by [Enlightenment] »

I have two Wands, one bought and one hand-made. The hand-made is from an Oak tree and the bought one, well I'm not sure, I just had to have it because it was so beautiful :D

Check out this list and see which tree corresponds to your birthdate. It might help you decide which wood to use. http://www.geocities.com/gardenwitchry/ ... trees.html

PS: It's always best to leave a libation of red wine or the like at the trees stump when cutting from a tree, just so you're putting something back to Mother Earth which you've just taken away. I suppose it's also like a thank you too.
~Blessings One and All~

***Knowledge really is Power***
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

You know, I did check out that listing of birth-day trees, and found myself agressively disagreeing with the temperment listings mentioned. For example, my sweetie is a Chestnut tree to a tee, but he was born during a Weeping Willow tree phase. Only he gets quiet around others, not really *grumpy* as they say.

I don't really fit any of the descriptions, except possibly the a cross between a Lime tree (linden, or the green citrus fruit? not sure) and a Hazelnut tree. The lime tree is my shadow (except the whole jealousy thing... I don't really get into that) and the Hazelnut sort of describes my positive traits. The other part I don't understand is why the Lime/Linden tree is considered so weak in the descriptionwhen historically the tree was powerful for protection (?!) and other kinds of magic.
Or maybe it's because this is a Celtic description, and Linden/Lime was popular for magic among the Teutons.

It sort of feels like Sun Sign Astrology, only on the whole even that is more accurate. :-/

I think the best place to start for figuring out your wood for a wand is to start with the tradition or culture that you resonate with, and if you don't have that yet, then to start with the trad that your bloodline comes from. I find that touching the wood in question and feeling wether you feel strong energy in it is the best way to find out what you are supposed to use. Even if you aren't much of a tree person, you can always go to a lumber yard, and start reading signs for what kinds of wood are there and picking up a peice to see what it feels like. You have to "wake up" the wood, usually by putting a bit of energy into the wood already, something neutral, is what does the trick. Sometimes, just giving the indwelling spirit a nudge on the spirit plane is all you need to do.
Or find pictures of said trees and us that to figure out which ones you are drawn to. Trying to visit them at a botanical garden or park is a very good idea. Or if all that just seems too complicated... go to a park. Walk around. Chat with the trees that dwell in your area. Let the trees know in a general way that you are looking for a partner in the form of a wand, to work energy and to cause change. However, it might be a painful thing for the tree, so they should know what it entails. (possibly the removal of a branch)
Be nice, be considerate. Some trees won't want to talk to you, and that's fine. You should avoid them. There are others who will chat with you, and be friendly but not interested. Respect that especially, because those will be lifelong friends.

The third kind will be interested in this, and those you will want to visit several times before you make your cut, unless you are told otherwise. Then you do, and usually the tree stops talking to you afterwords. This isn't universal, but is common enough and something I wanted to warn others about. It DOES happen. It doesn't mean the tree hates you, it's just that you have a peice of them now, and that's enough.
[Enlightenment]

Post by [Enlightenment] »

jcrowfoot wrote:Or maybe it's because this is a Celtic description, and Linden/Lime was popular for magic among the Teutons.
I should of said it is a Celtic tree correspondence.
~Blessings One and All~

***Knowledge really is Power***
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

i read a book , by soraya and it tells that a wood suitable for capricorns are birch? is this true?
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Well, are you, or do you know, a Capricorn? If yes, have said Capricorn use the wood for a bit. As far as I'm concerned, you have to try it out it order to see if it works. Those guides can be helpful for finding out good matches, but I've had mixed results with such things.
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

jcrowfoot wrote:Well, are you, or do you know, a Capricorn? If yes, have said Capricorn use the wood for a bit. As far as I'm concerned, you have to try it out it order to see if it works. Those guides can be helpful for finding out good matches, but I've had mixed results with such things.
yes im a capricorn? what wood is suited for me?
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Find some birch and see. That's the ONLY way to be sure. And, you don't have to be a Capricorn. Birch is a great wood for beginnings.
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

what does birch do?
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

I have been curious about wands myself, and wondered about making one myself. It is weird, because I think my wand found me. I had been watering the veggie garden lately due to dry, hot weather (no rain) and kept tripping over something on the way to the hose spigot, when I realized it was a very handsomely shaped branch from our Azalea shrub that had fallen off. I set it aside and want to experiment with it later. Any info about Azaleas?
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Wands 101

Post by SpiritTalker »

I made my wand from a maple branch because when I was 4 a maple leaf taught me "as above, so below." I also have a few lathed and turned wands I've picked up cheap in odd places, like a bookstore. I keep them spread around the house by my shrines and altar, and especially next to the stove because my cooking needs all the help it can get. And a small travel wand in my car...so handy for people who cut you off...(joking). but the one I use regularly is the maple branch. it is like a part of me the moment I pick it up. I'll see the energy waffle off, If using my finger, like a blue smoke that lazily meanders where I want it to go, but when I use the wand, it's a lazar beam straight to target.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Wands 101

Post by SpiritTalker »

I made my wand from maple because it is a wood of enchantment and learning, and has a personal meaning to me. I removed the bark, used a coarse then a fine sand paper, and sealed with a beeswax hairdressing used for dreadlocks. It cost less than buying beeswax and making my own with wax and olive oil, and the contents on the label were all natural.

When I was looking for a wood to use, I started to cut an apple branch but my little voice said the sap was rising and I knew the tree would bleed if I cut at that time. I thought I'd come back in winter, since a good time to cut is between Yule and New Years. By the next winter I'd already bonded with my maple wand and it has worked with me over 20 years.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”