Earthquake

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Ula

Earthquake

Post by Ula »

We just felt the Virginia earthquake here in West Virginia. Very weird and a bit scary. We don't get those.
Raconteuse

Re: Earthquake

Post by Raconteuse »

The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) National Seismic Hazard Maps display earthquake ground motions for various probability levels across the United States. Here is one which shows why you felt a quake in your state.

Here is a link to the image http://bp3.blogger.com/_Lj5KP8OgZVk/R73 ... ty+map.gif

Also the one that happened in Colorado is nothing new either. Yellowstone is just over the northern border in Wyoming but the actual caldera (yes Yellowstone is a super volcano) has moved over the centuries from south to north so there are still lava flows under the path where it has moved from. Colorado isn't all that far inland from the west coast so it's going to be feeling seismic activity.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

I just heard about the earthquake last night. That's kinda crazy (unusual) to have an earthquake on the East Coast. And you guys might get slammed by a hurricane too in a few days. :shock:

I live in that small yellow blob that covers the eastern part of Tennessee, which isn't very far from the Virginia epicenter, but we didn't feel anything here. It's crazy that they felt it all the way up in NYC. If the epicenter in Virginia is in the 2-4 zone and caused a quake that large, and I live in the 8-16 zone, that's really scary! Thanks for the map.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ya, kinda gave me the willies. Having already rode through 2 major quakes, (the Sylmar1971, and Northridge 1994, and all the ones in between) I feel for these folks, this rattles your nerves so much because of the after shocks. I would get dizzy because you just couldn't tell if the ground was still moving or if it was your imagination.
This area is not known for frequent seismic activity. And with all the other quakes, tsunamis, volcano's, floods, hurricanes...Not to be an alarmist, I would get a survival pack together. You know, like the boy scouts "be prepared". Since the Northridge Quake... my kit is in the car.( water, clothing, blankets, first aid...stuff like that...the food is in an outside shed, with a camp stove and fuel.) I try to keep the cars gas tank more than half full, ( all the pumps turned off after the quake, no power!) and I have to know where the keys are before I go to bed. They were almost impossible to find in the dark, walking over piles of glass and debris and misplaced furniture. So, we also keep slippers and a flashlight next to the bed.
Gentle healing Light to all those affected, Blessings, FirebirdFlys
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”