Wicca And Witchcraft in the Media: How Do You Feel About It?

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
13Lotuses

Wicca And Witchcraft in the Media: How Do You Feel About It?

Post by 13Lotuses »

Harry Potter, Charmed, Sabrina, Season of the Witch, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow...

The list could go on forever. But back to the original question: How do you feel about the way Wicca, Witchcraft, and Witches are portrayed in the Media? This is a question I think a lot of people would like to know the answer to. Personally, I would just say "Inaccurately". A clip on YouTube in which a fundamentalist christian woman (specifically Becky Fischer from Jesus Camp) criticizes the Harry Potter film series was what actually brought this subject to the front of my mind. None of the spells in the film(s) are real,
and as if that wasn't enough to end the dispute completely, there is no mention of Wicca in ANY of the films. There, I said it. There is a difference between Wicca and Witchcraft (I will say, however, that the term "Witchcraft" is used in the films) and I am surprised that so many people don't even know that. Even more surprising is the number of people that think the "spells" in the films are real.
Growing from mud, although challenging, offers great promise.
13Lotuses

Re: Wicca And Witchcraft in the Media: How Do You Feel About

Post by 13Lotuses »

Apologies. The last post was an error. It was intended to read as follows:

Harry Potter, Charmed, Sabrina, Season of the Witch, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow...

The list could go on forever. But back to the original question: How do you feel about the way Wicca, Witchcraft, and Witches are portrayed in the Media? This is a question I think we have all asked at some point (even if we are only asking it of ourselves!). Personally, I would just say "Inaccurately". A clip on YouTube in which Becky Fischer, leader of "Jesus Camp" criticizes the Harry Potter series, saying that "Warlocks are enemies of God" was what initially brought this subject to mind for me. Obviously none of the spells in the films are real, and as if that wasn't enough to end the dispute completely, there is no mention of Wicca in ANY of the films. I must admit, however, that the term "Witchcraft" is used (or rather misused) in all of the films. On another note, there is a difference between "Wicca" and "Witchcraft". Wicca is a religion. Witchcraft is a practice. Equating them to one another would be like equating "Christianity" with "Prayer". Sometimes it surprises me to see the number of people (including people who want to become "Wiccan") that don't know the difference or that there even is a difference. There is actually a site that lists spells from T.V. and movies (this made me question its accuracy). Does this tell us something? I think this shows not only a demand for it, but (surprisingly) a belief in it. Is this a cause for laughter? Or concern? Have Mr. Potter's adventures really changed the "non-magical" world this much? Has it changed for better or for worse? Your opinion is valued.
Growing from mud, although challenging, offers great promise.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”