Scared of an element

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
frostarei

Scared of an element

Post by frostarei »

Something about me is I have an extremely irrational fear of fire. Ironically enough I am earth (no real ifs ands or buts about it.) Even more so strange is I typically tend to fall in love and end up with companions who are very fire oriented. I just wondered if there was something to this.

I tend to always be really good friends with water, and as far as air goes we always seem to have a strange agreement to disagree. I do not get along with other earths very well at all.

v
> o < ~Frost
^
EyeOfIsis

Re: Scared of an element

Post by EyeOfIsis »

I think its only natural for an Earth sign to have at least some fear of fire, not only for the physical aspects either. People under the element of Earth tend to be more subdued, while those of us under Fire tend to be very boisterous and outgoing. This is a natural clash. Regarding the fact that you tend to have romantic relations with Fires, this implies that you like to be in dangerous situations, and may also be a bit of a masochist, since Fire people often dominate over the calmer Earth individuals. Obviously I don't know you at all, this is just what I'm sensing. I myself have an extreme aversion to Water, and I'm a Fire sign. Also, Water and Earth compliment each other because they are both passive elements, so they often work well together, which could be why you maintain good friendships with Water people.
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

I've met fire elements with a fear of fire. I myself am a water element with a fear of (open)water.

Your fears have to do with trauma's in either this life or previous lives and your element has to do with the position of the planets + the mana/energy you were born in. So it makes sense that at certain incarnations you might fear your own element, these are key moment in your life cycle to try and rid yourself of these fears. Your connection with your element might overrule your fear if you work on it.

Hope this helps
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
Tempest Flair

Post by Tempest Flair »

Everyone has an affinity for one of the 4 elements- Earth Air Fire and Water. It can be determied through astrological correspondences (Fire: Aries, Sagittarius, Leo Water-Scorpio, Cancer, Pisces-Air: Libra, Aquarius, Gemini-Earth: Capricorn, Virgo, Taurus)

Fire signs tend to be passionate and outgoing, while Earth signs tend to be stable and dependable. Air signs are lofty, talkitive, communicative, and Water signs are emotional, and deep.
frostarei

Post by frostarei »

Wow, I didn't realize that people have definitive experience with elements in personality type. It is the thing I recognize the most in dealing with people, and generally I can tell how easy of a time I will have talking to someone based on that.

As for the masochism thing Eye of Isis suggested, you are sort of right on with that one. I have a hard time staying away from the things that are obviously of some danger to me, and that is in most aspects. I am one of those people who just can't leave it alone and I continue to throw logs on the fire.
wolfgirl96

Post by wolfgirl96 »

I think it makes sense. I am a fire and I am a little afraid of water. Then again I almost drowned but even before that.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

It's funny, because I am so comfortable with Fire yet troubled by Air. I find that being airy is very close to being out of your body, and I am so terribly grounded ( Moon in Taurus) that makes connecting with Air very difficult. Yet I love fire and I am a fire sign (Sagittarius) ...and fire needs air for life....ugh :( ...I don't get it.
This is an interesting thread, everyone above has great points. FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

One thing I've been thinking about is that each element has its monstrous aspect (for example, the fear of heights or of a void in air, the deepest parts of the ocean in water, wildfires and burning in fire, or chasms or caves or landslides for earth). I think it's natural to be afraid of the elements to some degree, or when the elements are taken to an extreme; but Firebirdflys is right - each one is also vital to life. And I've been working on recognizing and accepting the monstrous in the elements as part of connecting with the elements, because the monstrous can give us power and strength, as well as frighten us.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

Xiao Rong wrote:One thing I've been thinking about is that each element has its monstrous aspect (for example, the fear of heights or of a void in air, the deepest parts of the ocean in water, wildfires and burning in fire, or chasms or caves or landslides for earth). I think it's natural to be afraid of the elements to some degree, or when the elements are taken to an extreme; but Firebirdflys is right - each one is also vital to life. And I've been working on recognizing and accepting the monstrous in the elements as part of connecting with the elements, because the monstrous can give us power and strength, as well as frighten us.

Very sage advise

I almost drowned, and I was inside my home asleep when it caught fire, firemen saved us, I was very young both instances. My Chinese astology sign is a Fire dragon, and I'm a Cancer, and I'm very attuned with both elements. I don't know if it was because of these instances or in spite of.
However, overcoming fear of the elements, if your working elemental magick, may be a necessity. You need to enter the circle in perfect love and perfect trust. To doubt sets you up for failure.. To know.. To KNOW your craft will work is detrimental.
Otherwise it's no use to even cast. This isn't for the faint of heart. You will face a great amount of grief in this world because of your practices, depending on where you live.. Knowing, accepting, and loving the elements, needs to be the least of your concerns.. I hope you find the courage to seek guidance.. And embrace the passion of your element.

Blessed Be
M~Dragons
Mercury Bolter

Post by Mercury Bolter »

I'm a libra and have always preferred the air element. The power to be relaxing as a summer breeze or total devastation of a tornado
Khaleesi

Post by Khaleesi »

Never been afraid of any of the elements. In fact, I've always been quite fascinated with them, especially water and air.
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

I find this new 'what is my element' stuff to be quite strange really. From my understanding of magic, the goal Is to balance all the elements within your soul body to gain soul consciousness ...

I do acknowledge that there is more than one way to do things, though.
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
Ravenstar

Post by Ravenstar »

I am a Capricorn which is Earth yet my personality is more of water. My b day is December 22nd but I was born a premier. 3 months early so does that have anything to do with it? I am also afraid of fire. Blessings. :flyingwitch:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Ravenstar brings up an interesting question. If you were born prematurely, does your actual date of birth rule, does your expected date rule, or is it some of both? BTW, congratulations, Ravenstar, on surviving as a preemie. That's truly a blessing in itself.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Falcon_Heart27

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

-Dark-Moon- wrote:I find this new 'what is my element' stuff to be quite strange really. From my understanding of magic, the goal Is to balance all the elements within your soul body to gain soul consciousness ...

I do acknowledge that there is more than one way to do things, though.
I agree. It should be a goal (it is for me, at least) to achieve a balance with all of the elements. However, I look at our "assigned" elements as kind of a personal thing that we can use to relate to ourselves in spells that are targeted on ourselves and etc.
Like if I was doing a self-confidence spell, I would try to incorporate fire, gold, etc. since they are symbols of myself. And just because I use fire and gold a lot in my spellwork (I find comfort and better balance in using those "assigned" things) doesn't mean that I have to be out of balance with other elements; I use the other elements, colors, etc. for other purposes.

That's just my personal experience on the matter. :)

SnowCat wrote:Ravenstar brings up an interesting question. If you were born prematurely, does your actual date of birth rule, does your expected date rule, or is it some of both? BTW, congratulations, Ravenstar, on surviving as a preemie. That's truly a blessing in itself.

Snow
This is interesting! I've never thought of this before now. Now that I think about it: I find that, in my personal experience, it's a mixture of both. I was surgically removed a few weeks early, (due to health emergencies) making me a preemie born into Sagittarius (fire). If I would've come into this world at the "right" time, I would've been a Capricorn (earth). I feel a strong connection to both elements, however, my personality is strictly Sagg, and someone that I have a very strong "soul-bond" with is a Capricorn.

~Falcon

P.S. phew! This must be one of the most responsive posts I've ever made in this forum. I've been studying for almost a year now, I suppose I'm finally starting to feel like I've got the hang of things. Usually I just lurk around and read. ;)

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”