Someone once told me...

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
frostarei

Someone once told me...

Post by frostarei »

I have always been diagnosed with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) As a result I am a wicked multitasker and get things done fast kind of person. I have tried the traditional sit down close your eyes and meditate, but the concept of "clearing your mind" is one of the most impossible concepts of the craft that I just can't seem to wrap my head around. I have never really been able to hone in on one thing. Even know as I am typing this I am considering what type of music I want to listen to, being irritated by a sound the register is making, and looking over my shoulder to see if anyone is watching what I am typing (even though dont care so much.) Long story short, when I try to think of nothing, I think of thinking about nothing, which leads to me mentally arguing with myself about the fact that I am failing of thinking about nothing.

At the same time when I was a child, parents and teachers found that all they had to do to keep my disruptive behavior in order was place a sketchpad and pencil in front of me. Ever since I was about six, I was drawing, and it is the only thing I can truly focus entirely on.

When I told a priestess who knew me very well about how difficult it was for me to meditate. She told me that I was silly for thinking that I couldn't because she had seen me doing so at her dining room table with her daughter many times. Apparently this drawing I was doing was my focusing.

I just wondered if anyone else agrees with this and thinks that it could be a viable form of excercise or if I need to seek any other methods.

\
>o< Frost
/
AutumnMaidens

Re: Someone once told me...

Post by AutumnMaidens »

I have the same problem so instead of thinking of nothing I take a concious act and focus on it. If I am walking in nature I try to focus completely on nature, letting my thoughts move to the background as I concentrate on the smells, sights and sounds of nature around me.
Any time when your focus is set on one thing and your attention does not wander, isn't that meditating?

Bless
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
Ula

Post by Ula »

Instead of mediation you could do trance work like focusing on drums or singing. Most repetative tasks can induce a trance state.
BeckyDarling

Post by BeckyDarling »

I have a similar problem. Listening to music makes doing meditation incredibly hard for me... even ones that repeat and should induce a trance... they just irritate me and distract me. I meditate in silence.

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”