When to begin planting?

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
raynelae

When to begin planting?

Post by raynelae »

Hi all :) can anyone tell me when to begin growing herbs such as rosemary, dill, and maybe sage? We have been having odd weather this year where I live. I'm thinking maybe a week or so after Ostara so the frost should be gone? What are your opinions on what I should do?
Blessed be :)
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
The Judge

Re: When to begin planting?

Post by The Judge »

If your using seeds check Burpee.com. They are seed supliers but they also put information up on the best time to plant certain herbs. It should have everything your looking for. :)
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not go blindly forward, See
Do not judge, Understand
Do not forget, for in this you shall learn nothing
-The Judge
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

Thank you :)
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Mind you, rosemary and sage are hard starters, I planted 2 whole packets of Burpee's rosemary and only had one seedling. Sage is a bit easier, you might get 3-10 seedlings per packet. But dill is a hardy plant and almost all the seeds will grow :D
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

Oh thank you :) I would have been quite disappointed if no seeds had sprouted once I planted them lol. What herbs do you suggest for a newbie?
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Dill is great, I personally think that you should try for the rosemary and sage, even if none of them sprout. It may suck if none of them sprout, but out of a packet you should get some good sage seedlings. Lavender is good, chamomile is good, Basil sprouts really fast, cilantro is good, also (the seeds are coriander). Just go with your gut. If you start the rosemary and sage indoors in a warm place (on top of the fridge keeps them toasty) you should have better luck, also. Mint, too! And all of these herbs will basically cover all the magickal correspondences, making for a nice beginner magickal garden! Good luck and happy gardening!
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

Thank you! I shall make a visit to Walmart and pick up some seeds :)
Blessed be
lynfr7

Post by lynfr7 »

you can plant anytime you feel the need

Return to “Gardening”