Medicinal and Magickal Herbalism 101 (Beginner Course)

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Ravencry

Re: Medicinal and Magickal Herbalism 101 (Beginner Course)

Post by Ravencry »

Catnip
Nepeta cataria
Other Names: Catmint, Catnep, Catswort, Fieldbalm
Actions: Antispasmodic, Antitussive, Astringent, Carminative, Diaphoretic, Emmenagogue, Nervine, Refrigerant, Sedative, Stimulant, Stomachic, Tonic.
Catmint has a long history of use as a household herbal remedy, being employed especially in treating disorders of the digestive system and, as it stimulates sweating, it is useful in reducing fevers. The herbs pleasant taste and gentle action makes it suitable for treating colds, flu and fevers in children. It is more effective when used in conjunction with elder flower (Sambucus nigra). The leaves and flowering tops are strongly antispasmodic, antitussive, astringent, carminative, diaphoretic, slightly emmenagogue, refrigerant, sedative, slightly stimulant, stomachic and tonic. An infusion produces free perspiration, it is considered to be beneficial in the treatment of fevers and colds. It is also very useful in the treatment of restlessness and nervousness, being very useful as a mild nervine for children. A tea made from the leaves can also be used. The infusion is also applied externally to bruises, especially black eyes. Mild catnip tea is used to relieve colic in babies, restlessness and nervousness, and is very useful as a mild nervine for children. A strong infusion can be used to repel fleas from carpets or the fur of animals. An extract from the leaves (called nepetalactone) has herbicidal and insect repellant properties.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Chickweed
Stellaria media, Stellaria pubera
Other Names: Common Chickweed, Star Chickweed, Mouse-ear Chickweed
Actions: Astringent, Carminative, Demulcent, Depurative, Diuretic, Emmenagogue, Expectorant, Galactogogue, Laxative, Ophthalmic, Refrigerant (cools the body), Vulnerary.
The whole plant is used in alternative medicine as an astringent, carminative, demulcent, diuretic, expectorant, laxative, refrigerant, vulnerary. A decoction of the whole plant is taken internally as a post-partum depurative, emmenagogue, galactogogue and circulatory tonic. It is also used to relieve constipation, an infusion of the dried herb is used in coughs and hoarseness, and is beneficial in the treatment of kidney complaints. A decoction of the whole plant is taken internally as a post-partum depurative, emmenagogue, galactogogue and circulatory tonic. It is also used to relieve constipation, an infusion of the dried herb is used in coughs and hoarseness, and is beneficial in the treatment of kidney complaints. New research indicates it's use as an effective antihistamine. The decoction is also used externally to treat rheumatic pains, wounds and ulcers. It can be applied as a medicinal poultice and will relieve any kind of roseola and is effective wherever there are fragile superficial veins or itching skin conditions.
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

Looks like I could use a bit of ALL THESE... I already use Kohosh, Vervain, Birthroot, and Angelica.

Thank you so much for the I do!!!

Bright blessings
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Speak of illness, and it came. Last night I got a fever, 102.6
I've been taking honey, and various herbs.
At first I did not feel bad.
Just chills.
I woke up today, and whammo.. I'm stuck in bed. I'm taking my honey and have my various teas and herbs. I usually know what to take.
But this came out of the blue.
No symptoms. No one around me was sick. I didn't go out. (I wash my hands frequently.)
My symptoms are those of a fever, chills, tiredness, lathargedness (? Sp) and a bit of nausea, sore muscles, ..
I've been acing sinus issues, but I chopped that down to spring?
I have surrounded myself with crystals, and my Moldavite, and moonstone.
Any suggestions?
I'm willing to go to doc, just rather not, it's still within the first 24 hours.

Blessings
MOTHERofDRAGONS

I was wondering I'd BellaDonna or "NightShade" was legal in US/Tx .. I don't intend to poison anyone, or ingest it, however I find the plant visually stunning and was hoping I can get those dark vpblur verifies hanging dpfrom the top of my cabinets so I can just enjoy their beauty. ( I'm getting indian paint brush, Ivy, Roses(Black), and I'm trying to prepare now, so I can just start in spring of 2015.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to go decore crazy up my new house with plants galore, to smell good, get rid of pests, look pretty, and most I can get in the neighborhood. But not most of the more toxic plants near the floor. I just CAN'T find my Belladonna!

Help?

Mucho gracias from South Texas.
Mashiigwe

Post by Mashiigwe »

Gee, I hope I didn't miss these if they were already mentioned: The four medicines which are relatively easy to grow in a wide variety of growing zones. 1)Tobacco, East (Offering of thanks for taking or being a part of, and awakinging other plants): It can be a nitrogen monster but a little compost helps that. It gets tall and impressive with huge leaves. Use it for offerings and don't smoke the stuff you grow cause without proper curing and aging it'll kick your butt if it's not mixed with stuff like kinnikinik. 2)Cedar, South (protection, getting the attention of spirits). 3)Sage, West (purification): This is nice as you don't need to water it. I think it's cool that all sages are salvias, and all salvias are in the mint family. A huge, great important grouping of plants. 4) Sweetgrass, North (the hair of mother earth, each of the braids has a meaning): It grows throughout North America and can be grown in a planter box or pot. So much stuff about these plants along with their uses that could be said. Too much for a post :-/
OwDavid

Post by OwDavid »

Great thread! Thx for that.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”