How do you know your element?

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
NorseBreeze

Re: How do you know your element?

Post by NorseBreeze »

I once had someone tell me that zodiac sign had nothing to do with your element but rather what you feel connected to. Anyone beg to differ? :P
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

There are lots of factors in your sign like ascending and which planet in which house. Usually it's more of a personality thing. The elements can also represent traits. Earth is well grounded and physicality; Air is Intellect, change, changeable nature; Fire is activity, passion, anger; Water tranquility, calm, wisdom. Also air is usually thinking about something, fire the will to do it, earth is actually doing it and water is the feeling associated with it. You can be an air sign with a fire personality.
Mazu Sakura

Post by Mazu Sakura »

PiscesFish,
May I suggest spirit?
@ All,
What is a star sign? would that mean the pentagram?
The tears we cry are the scars we bear.
May we bear them with pride, for they tell the story of who we are and where we have been.
BLESSED BE!
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Mazu_Sakura wrote:PiscesFish,
May I suggest spirit?
@ All,
What is a star sign? would that mean the pentagram?
Star sign is your zodiac sign.
Bellia_Arian

Post by Bellia_Arian »

ooo I'm jumpin in from an OLD post lol...I'm fire from the zodiac sign. But then again I'm also an emotional person, cause trust me if my heart breaks or im over excited im going to cry lol a lot! So I guess that has to do with water, but then again I'm scared of water, well like have a fear of drowing. So Idk...Maybe just fire??!
"Let your courage mount with difficulties.
There would be no will if there were no resistance."
Amethyst Lupus

Post by Amethyst Lupus »

I'm a picese that is intelligent but I have some deep "emotions" ::darkmood:: due to some secrets in my past so I can have a fiery temper what would my element or elements be?
wolfgirl96

Post by wolfgirl96 »

NorseBreeze wrote:I once had someone tell me that zodiac sign had nothing to do with your element but rather what you feel connected to. Anyone beg to differ? :P
That's how I feel, that it is more how you feel. But I don't really know because I am a fire sign and that is the element I feel connected to :D
astralsolitaire

Post by astralsolitaire »

I'm a Leo/Cancer with Scorpio tendencies. I remember the first element I was able to manipulate was wind. Still do on occasion. Mostly making the wind around me fast or slow. Sometimes it blows fast when I say a quick chant outside. But I also love water.
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

My element is Water, Ive always been attracted to it. I feel the most at peace when Im at a beach, or even in the shower or taking a bath. I seem semi attacted to Fire as well as it trances me and helps me to focus better especially when my mind is full and I am trying to push things out of it to practice or meditate. I'm a Capricorn. I feel that one's element speaks to them instead of one needing to go by there star sign. I understand that it isnt like that for everyone, just my opinion.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Im a Taurus so there for Earth. Ive always been very connected to Earth and nature. I also think Im water, because I love the ocean and feel most at peace when Im in or near a body of water such as the ocean, lakes etc. i can spend hours in the bathtub or a pool just floating and being at home in the water. Maybe I was a mermaid. Ha.

I think my other element would be spirit as Im a very spiritual person, and mediate etc to achieve that connection.
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

I believe my elements are water, fire and spirit. I'm not 100% sure though ^^;
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

Im a Fire sign but always been connected to Water and was recently told i connect to Air also

ive never considered Spirit thought thats one im going to have to think about
Fey_Glory

Post by Fey_Glory »

:wave: Hello everyone,
  • I’m going to throw in my 2 cents because this conversation seems a bit interesting to me. I don’t mean to cause confrontation, to crush anyone’s thought process, or hurt feelings of anyone outright. That being said- I would greatly appreciate feedback and any knowledge that you all can share with me to help me understand.

Personally, I have a problem with the idea that you can “claim” an element. I’m gathering from the use of the word “your” in the title- meaning that the author is taking ownership of an object or in this case an element- that there is a belief that you can actually own, control, manipulate (spiritual_gemini, page 1) an element because it fits your personality or because a deity has somehow given you these abilities. I admit that I am a n00b in the beliefs of Wicca, but I’m not completely unread on the topic. From the little of what I understand this whole concept seems completely ridiculous.

Here I will explain MY understanding of the topic- and why I think claiming any element seems absolutely preposterous- please feel free to correct anything I am misunderstanding. (:

From what I have read there are 5 elements- as many of you have already mentioned in this thread- Air, Earth, Fire, Water, and Spirit. Each have been given different “characteristics”, directions, symbols, colors, etc. based on what others around the world feel that the element encompasses. These elements can be invoked in different rites and spells to grant greater power, protection, or just completeness depending on how formal the rite is. That’s something I recognize and have zero issue with.

I've also read that these elements are Life. They are what make up everything from the rolling waves of the oceans, the mountains that we hike on, etc. A good example of this I will pull from Ann-Marie Gallagher who uses a Tree to prove this point “composed of earth (with the soil and plant matter), water (sap and moisture), fire (through photosynthesis) and air (the creation of oxygen from carbon dioxide), all of which are believed to be united through spirit.” The same argument can be used for use humans, for example:
  • Earth: we live off the food it provides and live on the ground.
  • Fire: We live off the sun just as much as plants do- it provides us with Vitamin D and other minerals that our body needs to function properly. Not to mention the warmth it provides and the warmth FIRE itself provides to those without the sun.
  • Water: We can’t live longer than 3 days without it. Our body is 70% water. Enough said.
  • Air: How long can you go without breathing?
  • Spirit: It’s what we are, our personality, our love, empathy, abilities, and talents, everything we are. It holds us all together as a spiritual being.

The elements are what we are. We use them every day, from our breath to dinner to our rites and rituals. I think it’s absurd that someone can take claim over something like that. I think this whole discussion of “what is mine” is more about personal preferences and what YOU believe YOUR personality aligns with over anything else. There are certain little quizzes you can take that will ask you various questions about who you are and give you an answer- I've done various ones out of curiosity myself- but really it shouldn't be a question of “what is my element?”, instead it should be more “who am I?” and from there everything else should be easy.

We are a balance of all 5.
    We are the elements, we don’t claim them.

Any comments, questions, concerns, or feedback?
-Fey
rosemoon

Post by rosemoon »

I'm definitely an Air. I just go by which one I feel more connected to.
Aria_2193

Post by Aria_2193 »

I don't know what's my element too.
It may may be water, may be air.

When I was younger, somethimes I could call a wind to blow. Now I can't do it even though I was all focused in it :S
And when I used to listen to 'Here comes the rain' from The Cure, rain ALWAYS came up. xD
And acually, water washes away my pain. So I don't know how I would know what my element is...

I'd say water probably, but I reaally do feel connected to air too, so I don't know how to test it.

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”