The Slenderman

Discussion of folklore and myths.
Sakura Blossom

Re: The Slenderman

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Yeah, I saw that! However, being in the psychology field, I am pretty positive they are just suffering from some mental health issues, and I personally don't agree with trying them as an adult. The fact that they're only twelve years old, and still young and easily influenced, I think there was a legitimate fear (that I gathered from the article) that slenderman was really going to go after them and the fact that they are 12 and did something like this, just shows they're suffering from a delusional state and need mental health help rather than a life time in prison.

But of course, that's my personal feelings. I'm not excusing what they did, that's not okay and I'm usually all for trying them for something like this, but with a situation such as this one... I really feel strongly that they're just mentally unstable. But it's my personal opinion. (: Not meant as an argument starter, or anything of course!

I do think, however, that legends could spurn from ancient traditions and paintings. However, another theory I have is that the whole idea of witchcraft is self empowerment and also using the power around you (in a lot of cases, that is) and so I wouldn't be surprised, if someone believed SO MUCH that they were able to some how will it into existence. I've seen something similar happen with dark energies, but who knows?
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Falcon_Heart27

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

Vesca wrote:It looks like the OP isn't the only one who puts weight to the Slenderman figure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/0 ... 34675.html
I just stumbled across a video on this subject a few minutes ago! Truly terrifying stuff..... it makes me wonder why any little girl(s) would do that. It's sad and sickening. My condolences to the victim and her family. :(

I don't know much about The Slenderman, but I know enough to know that I certainly regard him as only a fictitious character....

Here's the video I saw.

~Falcon
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I got a security warning when I tried the Huffington Post link

should I worry?
Ackkk!
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

firebirdflys wrote:I got a security warning when I tried the Huffington Post link

should I worry?
Ackkk!
FF
I wouldn't worry, but if you'd rather not click it there are several dozen other articles with the same story that pop up if you type "slenderman murder" into a browser search field. :)
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

Read the article. I personally think Slenderman is a work of fiction. Now, even going on the assumption that he's real, no where has it ever been documented that Slenderman demands a "sacrifice" if you will. The people are simply taken suddenly. No bloodshed, no nothing. As if the vanished from existence.

In my opinion, something is wrong with those girls. I hope they get help and condolences to the families who lost their child both physically and mentally.
HippieWitch

Post by HippieWitch »

Slenderman was created in a photo contest on 4chan. The whole idea of it is make believe, and believing otherwise makes you delusional.
Shiloh
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Hippie Witch, I don't think believing in something like that would make you delusional. I do know some people who believe if you give enough power to something, something similar to it can manifest and take on a form. This doesn't mean that it's true, as there's no right or wrong thing to believe, but I don't think anyone would be delusional if they wanted to believe in something like this.

Now, going out and stabbing a young girl just because they believe in it -- that's definitely not okay. Anytime you harm someone, that is far from being alright. It's fine to believe in whatever your heart desires, as long the actions you take doing so are safe for other people.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

random417

Post by random417 »

When the slenderman myth was created, a thought form was created at the same time. Essentially, when the myth was created, the entity was as well.

Now, slenderman took off, and so has access to the energy of all the people that think about him, even if they think about him as myth. I think he's a great example of egregore creation. Was he real when he was created? Certainly not, but there is an entity now.

*edit*
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egregore

A link to basic info on egregores, in case anyone needs
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

[quote="random417"][/quote]

Thank you for sharing this, Random! This is exactly what I meant in my above post, so I'm glad you could elaborate a bit more. (:

Siona

Post by Siona »

HippieWitch wrote:Slenderman was created in a photo contest on 4chan. The whole idea of it is make believe, and believing otherwise makes you delusional.
It was over at Something Awful, actually, but yeah, same idea. It was a deliberate creation, a work of fiction, like many other horror stories, memes, and all that. I understand thoughtforms and how they play into some paths, but I dunno, maybe it's because I remember this meme being created, taking off, all that, I just can't take it as more than the fiction it was meant to be.
HippieWitch

Post by HippieWitch »

Same here. It's hard to take any fiction like Slenderman seriously at all. It's a fun story that scares the teens and uninformed, but that's about it.
Shiloh
random417

Post by random417 »

Which I can understand. I came from a background in Chaos Magic though, and I'm just as likely to invoke Gandalf as Merlin. (More actually, as Gandalf has a better attitude for me)
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
samlouise01

Post by samlouise01 »

The Tall Man chased my grandfather one night (I say chase, he walked faster, the tall man walked faster). He got to his door and slammed it shut behind him only for him to beat the door to try and get in. My grandfather's mother was waiting up for him (as you do when your son is out on the town for the night at 15!) so this would be around 1947 in the middle of Irish countryside. I am not sure who or what the Tall man is, but my great grandmother told my grandad that is who it was (when he described him to her).
dualhands

Post by dualhands »

Did anyone of you read or remember when those two adolescent girls lured one of their friends into the woods. Stabbed her repeatedly as to make a sacrifice to slenderman? Mental illness is such a sad thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slender_Man_stabbing

On another note, I played the slenderman videogame for xbox. Its a fairly simple game where you bassicly just fiind your way through the woods and various abandoned buildings. The controller will vibrate and slenderman will appear. If you continue to look at him he proceeds to come towards you. If you don't run you die. All you have in the game is a flashlight. It's pretty fun to play in the dark if you want to scare yourself.

Slenderman isn't real. People who see him want to believe they saw him. I agree with hippie witch, when she says. Anyone who believes in him isn't willing to do any research on the origins of him. aka when you read an article saying he's seen throughout history in old photographs. Those old photographs were doctored for a contest on photoshop.

Seeing shadowmen are a real thing. And they are usually tall. Just my 2 cents.

*edit*

Just noticed the stabbings had previously been mentioned.
diligentibus te dilectio qua dilexisti me , sic fiat
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

It is an actual fun too of the mind to alter something that we see, but cannot comprehend, into something know. So, if you saw a very very old, very very powerful, and primal spirit, whose presence filled your veins with fear, your brain may have shown you slender man. Something you know.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.

Return to “Folklore and Myths”