Problems regarding a Christian friend of mine

Discussion of Christianity and other religious systems. How can we explain our faith to Christians? How can you merge your faith in Jesus with your belief in the metaphysical?
Tempest Flair

Problems regarding a Christian friend of mine

Post by Tempest Flair »

I know that this forum isnt specifically for focusing on any negative ascpects of another faith, but I just couldnt think of the best place to put it.

I have a devoutly Christian friend. She asked me to attend church with her yesterday, and I agreed. Now, I dont like going to church. Mostly because every chuch sermon Ive been to involves lying to an ignorent mass. Good, wholseome, spiritually nourishing churches are far and in-between where I live.

So anyway, I hated it. And I dont really want to go back to church anymore.

They talked about the legitimacy of other faiths, about the One True God, ect, ect. It was just really disheartening. Like, while I may have personal disagreements with Christianity, I dont attack or try to dissemble anyone elses faith- I only get angry when someone is clearly wrong and ignorent about the subject on hand.

Im a teenager, and Ive come out of the broom closet to my family. Its not really that great- kinda like that little unspoken thing that gets awknowleged when Im asked what website Im on, or what on my fairly large alter, or what I spent my money on. I always feel as if I should cover up my faith, because I dont want to explain things about my religion to others.

Back to my friend- anything that isnt about her religion makes her sad. The talk about Heaven and Hell just makes her sad that the people she loves might not make it to Heaven. Some of my cruder Agnostic friends really shake her- compared to her, aot of what I say and do is "immoral".

I just needed to talk to someone who understands, maybe get some advice. I know I havent been on the board in a while, but thats only for the fact that internet connection around here is poor, and Ive been swamped between school, studying, after school clubs, and colleg applications. sm121
Truthseeker

Re: Problems regarding a Christian friend of mine

Post by Truthseeker »

Wow. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this, but I guess this is a problem that we all as witches are going to deal with forevermore.
I was a christian for almost 42 years of my 52. Married to a minister. I understand what you are dealing with. I don't really know what to tell you. Your christian friend is, unfortunately, like many- I won't say all- brainwashed. And it is not a good thing. Mainstream christianity preys on the weak, ignorant and easily influenced.To their detriment and the church's gain. it messes with their emotions and uses guilt and fear to control.
Technically, I would be labeled a christian witch, though I really do not care for the designation AT ALL. I prefer Pagan, Witch and someone who believes in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, but I don't really associate myself with christianity.
The best thing you can do is be 100% honest with your friend. If she wants to remain your friend she will have to deal with and respect your beliefs as you do hers. The only thing that could induce me to darken the doors of another church would be if my mate insisted. And then I would go detached and tune it all out if possible because I cannot bear to hear all the BS that is promoted from the majority of pulpits. I am not trying to be a christian basher, merely honest. It is not all bad, at least the core of what is true and real. But all the surrounding stuff you have to go through to get to that core...well...
Be honest with her. Tell her you respect her faith but it is not yours. And ask her to grant you the same consideration. Agree to dissagree. If the friendship is important to her as well as you it can be done.
I wish you well and hope you have success.
Blessed Be~~~Stonewitch

Return to “Christianity and Other Religious Faiths”