Must spells be done in a circle?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
EternalRos3

Must spells be done in a circle?

Post by EternalRos3 »

When casting a spell, does it necessarily have to be done in a circle? I know the purpose of doing this, but I have heard of spells being done without it {just at an altar, or specific area of use}.

Do I need to take any steps for protection, if so? I have no intention to call on spirits or the like, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference when casting a spell.
How about calling/casting forth energy for the spell before and after it is complete? I assume I still need to ground the energy used so it does not linger.
Holdasown

Re: Must spells be done in a circle?

Post by Holdasown »

EternalRos3 wrote:When casting a spell, does it necessarily have to be done in a circle? I know the purpose of doing this, but I have heard of spells being done without it {just at an altar, or specific area of use}.
I don't use circles for spells but I have used them when I am sending energy out. A way to focus it and not loose it.
EternalRos3 wrote:Do I need to take any steps for protection, if so? I have no intention to call on spirits or the like, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference when casting a spell.
As a practitioner I keep my house well warded. If you are doing that I would say no. If for some reason you can't clean your space before and after. A circle can't hurt.
EternalRos3 wrote:How about calling/casting forth energy for the spell before and after it is complete? I assume I still need to ground the energy used so it does not linger.
I would say centering and grounding are more important to spells than most ingredients. Our energy and intent make a spell what it is. The rest is just to enhance the spell.
EternalRos3

Post by EternalRos3 »

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I've been meaning to ward the house and certain things but somehow have yet to get around to it. Definitely something I should be trying next :oops:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

EternalRos3 wrote:When casting a spell, does it necessarily have to be done in a circle? I know the purpose of doing this, but I have heard of spells being done without it {just at an altar, or specific area of use}.

Do I need to take any steps for protection, if so? I have no intention to call on spirits or the like, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference when casting a spell.
How about calling/casting forth energy for the spell before and after it is complete? I assume I still need to ground the energy used so it does not linger.
Replying to an old post - No, spells don’t have to be done in a circle but there are benefits to using the process. You can decide it you want to take advantage of it or not.

Casting circle is good training and teaches you to effectively ground, center and project energy. A circle keeps out cross current psychic energies. These usually aren’t any worse than picking up 2 thought-radio stations together which can scramble a spell’s message.

Easy Sacred Space - Ref Scott Cunningham, Wicca, a Guide...
. Put your gear inside the planned work area
. Start & end each circuit at north
. 🧂💦 spritz a circular area walking 🔄widdershins, light 🥢incense, 👉🏼point & push to cast the circle deosil ↩️
. Do your spells
. Say thanks & ground yourself. You’re Done. blue_flee

As for protection, the poster has got the point of not summoning what they cant banish. Close what you open & farewell any you invite. Never burn poisonous ☠️ plants. Awareness of different energies is useful. Grounding, centering & shielding DO work.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”