How to Extract Coconut Oil

Moderator: Kassandra

Kassandra

How to Extract Coconut Oil

Post by Kassandra »

You can use this oil alone, or as a base for other products. Along the way, you will be creating coconut "milk,"
which can be used in many kitchen recipes (it's a popular ingredient in Thai food).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx_WpB0mCGQ

Kassandra

Re: How to Extract Coconut Oil

Post by Kassandra »

Lately, coconut oil has been all the rage in the health food stores I patronize. I guess it has a lot of health benefits. I was just interested in using it in cooking, and doing away with "cooking oils." I didn't think I'd like it because I don't really like the smell of coconut products for my body, though I like the taste of it in certain types of food recipes, like in Thai and Filipino foods.

So, I experimented and fried some foods with it, and also substituted the olive oil I usually use for salads with it. Wow, was I surprised. I really like the taste. It does not taste coconutty at all, at least not the jar I bought. It tastes like real butter, but a more refined, less heavy and fatty-tasting version, if you know what I mean.

I probably wouldn't do the laborious process featured in the video above, but rather, just continue buying jars of it from the store. But, I just wanted to share my experience with it, and encourage others to give it a try. I found it mmm mmm good. :wink:

Return to “Kassandra's Foray in the Green”