A&E and History channel Video "Witches"

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

A&E and History channel Video "Witches"

Post by Firebird »

This video is dear to me because 3 folks close to my heart are in it. Am so proud they were apart of the early days of bringing about awareness. It's an older video originally printed in the late 80's and many of you may have seen it before, It has also been chopped up and used in other similar videos. It is a pretty good brief documentary on witchcraft. I am real glad to have found it here, as the only copy I had left was a tape...and no deck to play it in! Look for my folks in the beginning and end and somewhere in the middle preforming (mock) ritual, the site they filmed it at was surrounding area of the unfinished cement Eric Lloyd Wright house overlooking Malibu.

...which is available to rent for parties and such. Really a great view of the Pacific Ocean from there.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmicha ... 4320247015
ok, here's the movie....SHHhhhhhh.....
[EDIT=will keep looking for video]

Blessings to you Oh Lady Brawen, great and powerful light that now streaks through the night...FirebirdFlyBy :fairy:
Last edited by Firebird on Wed May 06, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added flicker photostream of eric lloyd wright boulder house malibu
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
AutumnGirl

Re: A&E Video "Witches" (Historic overview)

Post by AutumnGirl »

This was great. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
Kassandra

Re: A&E Video "Witches" (Historic overview)

Post by Kassandra »

Great.
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Re: A&E and History channel Video "Witches"

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

I saw this before, but it's always nice to get a refresher view.  In my studies, there's only a few bits of in accuracy..  Nemoy mentioned that Wiccan was a witch ..It's false in my case..I'm not Wiccan, although I have a respect for the religion. It is possible to be a witch without following the Rede.. But try to live a positive life, adding magick. I get what he was stating about its recognized as (officially) a recognized religion.
It gets irritating when people call witches consorts of the "devil" as well... I never met this "story book" character.and I don't believe in the story book. 
Yes, there are some parables that can show humanity how to behave, treat the Earth... However.. The stories of particular "people" .. I find false. (GUYS, I USED TO BE A XTAIN, SO, PLEASE NO BASHING ME FOR NOT BELIEVING IN THE GOD OF ABRAHAM)  I read several places that the stories of jesus weren't written until decades after this character supposively passed away. Are memories that great? Quoting him and his God.. ? Decades after he "ascended"?    And I've read that King James didn't even really want to write the bible, kept putting it off... Until his people, close advisors and residents of his land, started threatening to behead him if the 'book" wasn't made. ..the story goes, and this is not per badem, however, pretty close .. He got the Geneva bible, to use as a guideline. Threw in some scrolls of the "preached word" .. And even changed it a bit. (IE, the phrase: " Thou not suffer a witch to live" wasn't in the Geneva.. It was "Thou shall not suffer a murderous poisoner to live" ..   I'm could spat out more, but witches are the topic, and, but I'm respecting my time, and the length of this reply. (i have plenty to say.. Just in a hurry)Just giving an example.. He also took out things he had no use for.. . And I heard, while being a christain, that you shouldn't add to, or take away from the book. Which, is exactly the hypocritical nonsense of why I left the religion. One of the quotes that irritates me so much is "trust in the lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding" ... What this so elegantly states is, basically, don't rely on what you heard in the real world,now outside the Books and scrolls that make sense.. (law of gravity, what science has brought to attention as truths,) but follow this guy blindly... Follow the Pope, ministers, bishops, preachers, ect.. Blindly.  I can't do that. 
I have a mind, I have eyes, ears.. Shit, even Chris Angel (the illusionist) has pulled off some things that make ppl question so much. 
As for me.. I'm in tuned with many Gods and Goddess, that were here before the "manger" scene ever "happened".. 
I love how the video corrects people on what BC really stands for.. “A.D.” does not mean “after death,” as many people suppose. “B.C.” stands for the English phrase “before Christ,” but “A.D.” stands confusingly for a Latin phrase: anno domini (“in the year of the Lord”—the year jesus was born). If the calendar actually changed with " jesus's" death, Since He was probably actually born around 6 B.C. or so, (if at all) the connection of the calendar with him can be misleading. Many Biblical scholars, historians, and archeologists prefer the less sectarian designations “before the Common Era” (B.C.E.) and “the Common Era” (C.E.).
Ugh. Ok.. I think I've ran out of time in posting this.. Forgive my ramblings.. 
I want to 
THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS!! I hope The channel plays it again for the masses. (it may even be on Netflix)  Netflix also has several documentaries about Samhain. (Halloween to them).. So if you have NF, I suggest looking at the documentaries.. HOWEVER, remember most of those shows can be bias.. So, keep an open mind, think rationally, for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Blessings
)0(
Mama
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I remember seeing this years ago. I need to sit down and watch it again. Thanks for posting.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Rats Rats Rats...I've spent most of the morning trying to find the above video. I found another that had some of the footage of the video shoot with Branwen and the two others, but the scenes they show in this one is different than the one I posted and I'm pretty sure that both of these videos are different than the Tape I had, which I lent to someone who never brought it back. When I asked her to return it she couldn't find it, Argggggghhhh.

Intimate Portrait: The Witch (Documentary) (posted by DocSpot)
...I guess DocSpots channel was removed...
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

trying again :fairy:
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SilverMoon22

Post by SilverMoon22 »

Thank you for this video. It's interesting that when people want to control things by understanding how it works, not being able to figure it out would push them to turn to disbelief and evil as an answer. Not surprised that being shunned for being different has always been a thing. I watched this with my mother and we had very good conversations. Thank you
:flyingwitch:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Glad it was a positive viewing for you and your mom, always good to have conversation, especially when it helps to resolve questions. Blessings, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”