Herbal and homemade remedies thread.

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

So, hey, everyone. I would like to share remedies and recipes to treat different aches and pains. I have several books on herbology, so if you are interested in something specific, just ask and I'll try to provide it. Just so you know, I recommend if you have a health problem, to go see a doctor first. The recipes I'm going to give are to treat minor issues and not serious conditions.

I have this great ebook with tons of recipes for remedies. I have used some of them and they are really fantastic. So here's what me and my husband use for relieving bleeding gums. It can be used multiple times, but in case the problem persist, I strongly suggest you visit your dentist. This remedy is only a temporary solution.
So there, you mix 1 teaspoon of each herb in a jar - Polýgonum aviculáre, oak rind, Alchemilla vulgaris and Salvia. Boil 1 l of water and pour over the herbs. Do not boil them. Put a lid and wait for about half an hour. Filter and use the infusion as you use mouthwash. Do now swallow.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

This is a very simple and extremely effective ointment that helps remove scars. It's most effective when the scar is new. The marigold has regenerative qualities and is also a natural antiseptic.

You need: 100 gr marigold blossom.
400 gr pig lard.

First you need to "cleanse" the lard (for a lack of better word for it) - put the lard in a large bowl, half full of water and boil it. After it starts to boil, take it off the heat and leave it to cool off. Once cooled off, remove the lard (it's supposed to swim on the surface) and put it in another bowl along with the marigold blossom (this time with no water). Put water in a bigger bowl and put the first one in it and melt the mixture. The mixture is not to be put directly on the heat. Wait until the marigold becomes darker and take off the heat. Filter and put in jars. It's supposed to be kept in the fridge.

The ointment is good for:
Removing scars, especially if they are new
Very dry and very sensitive skin, especially if you have a cold allergy.
If your baby has a diaper rash
Preventing stretch marks.
If you want a good result, you are to be persistent and use it daily. It's better to use at night, just before you go to bed. If it's for a scar, put some on it and then put some lint on top.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

So here's another remedy. It's to treat corns (clavus). You need a clove of garlic and a teaspoon of vinegar. Blend it in a grinder and add flour until you get dough which is not too tacky. Put on the corn and leave overnight. Put some band aid to keep it on place. You can repeat the next evening. The corn should fall after no more than 3 procedures. It's important to put some olive oil around the corn, because otherwise the dough could leave burn marks.
That's it for now. Please feel free to add info or ask questions. I hope you like the thread.
Vesca

Re: Herbal and homemade remedies thread.

Post by Vesca »

So totally bookmarking this thread... ^^
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Thank you, Vess :) I'm going to add some more info to the thread soon.

Another of my favorite remedies is the easiest way to "unclog" "clogged" nose.
You need to simply put cotton tampons, soaked in strong alcohol into your ears. Yeah, I know exactly how that sounds, but it does really work.

If you want clear skin with no blackheads, all you need is baking soda and shaving cream. Not foam or gel, cream. Mix 1:1 the cream and the soda and scrub your face with the mixture. It's a really good exfoliant and actually washes the skin better than soap and doesn't make it dry. After scrubbing, wash it well with warm water.

A good remedy for open wounds is sumac decoction - 2 tablespoons of the herb boiled in 500 ml of water for 10 minutes. Filter and "bathe" the wound for 15 - 20 minutes. This is for external use only!
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

How about things like... migraines? I'm getting a little tired of constantly increasing my painkiller doses.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

You can try Melissa officinalis decoction. 1 tablespoon with 500ml boiling water. Do not boil it, just let it sit for about half an hour in the water. Drink 1 coffee cup 3 times a day before meal.
Another decoction you can try is Leonurus cardiac decoction. 4 tablespoons of it covered with 1 l boiling water. Again, don't boil it, just cover it with the water. Drink 3 times a day about 150 ml of it, before meals. This herb is said to help with high blood pressure and painful periods.
These recipes are both from Petar Dimkov's book "The herbs".
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Oh boy! A thread of great natural alternatives for synthetic medicines and remedies! Wow, Yana. These are so wonderful! *applause*

I'd always considered looking for alternatives, but finding these sorts of thing online (or even at the library) can be rather iffy. Sounds like you actually use these things so I really trust your knowledge.

Awesome, awesome!

*happily copies and pastes Yana's recipes into a word document for easy access* (Hope it's fine!)
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Of course it's fine :) I didn't invent these, but even if I did, it doesn't make sense to keep them to myself :)
Glad you like the thread. I'll try and post some more tonight.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Time for stomach cure :)
The cure is easy to make, but takes time. You need 6 tablespoons of st. john's wort's fresh flowers. They are to be cut in small pieces and put in a bottle with 1/2 l pure olive oil. Leave the bottle on the sun for 10 days and add 6 more tablespoons st. john's wort's flowers. The oil should turn bright red. The procedure is repeated 2 more times until it has sat for 40 days. It's to be taken 3 times a day, a tablespoon at a time before meals. Helps with stomach ulcers, gastritis, colitis and stomach ache.
The oil extract has an external use too - it helps heal open wounds when anointed with it. In many cases of joint rheumatism, it brings relief of the pain when put on the joint.
Remark: only fresh flowers are to be used. If dried ones are used, they need to be 4 times less.

Another thing I know that helps relieve gastritis is goat milk with white sugar. Boil 1 l of goat milk ( it needs to be 100% ) with 1 kg of sugar until the sugar is absorbed. You need to stir all the time. The result is thick, yellow thing that is to be taken 3 times a day a tablespoon at the time. The taste is horrible, but it really really helps - from experience.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Herbal pillow to help with insomnia.
I am one of these people who suffer from insomnia and I thought you may find this useful (I haven't tried it, but intend to very soon).
You need the following: basil, horse chestnut flowers, male fern, hop (cones) - 100 gr each,
geranium - leaves and stalks, Melilotus officinalis L, camomile, lavender, marjoram, melissa, Galium odoratum - 50 gr. each.
Mix all the herbs and put in a pillow.

Another thing to help you sleep is tea, made of valeriana, peppermint and melissa. equal parts. It's incredibly calming.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Wow! This thread is great! I'm super interested in herbal remedies and the like! I cant wait for more posts!
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Thank you, Azure Lily! I'm glad you like the thread. PLease, if you need a specific recipe, tell me what it is and I'll see if I have anything to help you. I just don't know what to add :)
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Hmmmmm. Do you know anything with Duckweed? I have loads of that, and no uses. And you could also as things about creating your own work components and things about what decoction is and different kinds of mortar and pestle, what tea pots are best for rituals, etc. I could help with some of it if you need.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

OK, duckweed.
I've never used it, but in my books it says it's apparently good for the stomach. Boil a handful of it in goat milk and take 100 ml of this before and after meals. It also helps with constipation. For that, a tablespoon of the duckweed should be boiled in 1 l of water and be taken before bed.
It's also good seed for the birds.
Some people use it to lower their appetite.

About your questions, I use "Decoction" to indicate you don't need to boil the herb when making the remedy. Although it's not the right term, I guess (me, not being native English speaker, I need to use dictionaries all the time :) ). Actually when making a decoction you need to smash the herb to extract more of it's natural oils.
I don't really know if there are certain pots, mortars and pestles for the different purposes - I just use the ones I have. But if you have information like that, I'd be very interested to read it.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”