Hedge Witchcraft & Shamanism

loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Hedge Witchcraft & Shamanism

Post by loona wynd »

One thing I have found is that the use of the Axis Mundi or world tree is a major defining factor in Shamanic paths, The routes traveled to get there and the methods used may be different but in the end all of the Shamanic paths I have found work a world tree of some form. I like the use of drums but there are many different techniques for entering trances.

Typically the world tree divides the various multi worlds into three major realms. You have the heavenly realms or the realms where the Gods live (Asgard, Olympus, Heaven, etc) the middle worlds (which are realms that intertwine with and interact with our own- Alfheim or land of the elves, dragon realms, faeiries realms), etc and the underworlds or the afterlives (Helheim, Summerland, Hades, etc). Depending on how you travel this world tree depends on if you are going to be visiting one of the upper, middle, or lower worlds.

Hedge witchcraft uses the symbolism of walking a hedge to travel to the spirit worlds and travel the world tree. This hedge symbolism that for them they always live with one foot basically always in the spirit world and one foot in the mundane world. This allows them to be able to work with spirits at all times in basically any day or place. This also shows that they have some manner of control over the working of trance.

Often hedge witches are essentially taught by spirit.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Yes! Ive explored the lower and upper realms already. My time in the lower realm was brief, but its definitely a place that is a little darker. I made contact with some ancestors there.

The upper realm was definitely a place that was more of "light". Ive spent more time there and was greeted by two spirits that told me they were the Mother and the Father of the upper realm. And that the upper realm was mainly a place of healing and knowledge.

As Ive just started journeying I have a lot more exploring to do. But Ive already made contact with different spirits and guides and am learning from them.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

AnaisStar wrote:Yes! Ive explored the lower and upper realms already. My time in the lower realm was brief, but its definitely a place that is a little darker. I made contact with some ancestors there.
Yeah the underworlds are a bit darker, but they aren't necessarily a place of evil. They do hold fears and anxieties. There is a reason many shamanic journeies involve a descent into the underworld facing our deepest fears and anxieities. They exist and live in that darker world. So by facing them we can work through them and become more aware of our own self.

I work more with the under and middle worlds than I do the upper worlds myself. Then again Traditional witchcraft was very much an underworld tradition dealing a lot with ancestors and the spirits of the dead. The Goddess of Fate is also an Underworld Goddess. So for me it makes sense that I would do more work in the underworld than I would the other realms.

Helheim I found was one of the nicer underworlds. Hades is scary but its also described creepy in the lore. It wasn't frightening but more creepy. Having a physical experience in that world while not in an intended trance was a powerful and moving experience. It really altered my concept of the soul and the afterlife after having that experience.
AnaisStar wrote:The upper realm was definitely a place that was more of "light". Ive spent more time there and was greeted by two spirits that told me they were the Mother and the Father of the upper realm. And that the upper realm was mainly a place of healing and knowledge.
Healing for me can be in basically any of the realms. They all have different ways to heal a person. Knowledge for me also is in all the realms. For me the upperworlds was the world of basically the Gods (unless they are specifically an Underworld God like Hella or Hades). Its also the realm where the angelic world exists. So I guess I can see where it would be mainly healing in your experience. Some equate those realms to unconditional love and divine love. I'm not sure about that myself.
AnaisStar wrote:As Ive just started journeying I have a lot more exploring to do. But Ive already made contact with different spirits and guides and am learning from them.
Thats good. Have fun and embrace it. The spirits will teach you and guide you.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I did a recent general journey with no intention of where to go or what to experience and was immediately pulled down into the lower realm.

I was greeted by a large party of spirits, including family, friends and loved ones who have passed over. It was very interesting and I learned a lot from them at that point.

The one interesting thing was that my great grandmother (who my mother and I think was a witch) spoke to me. I never met her in real life. My mother said she was a traveling gypsy from Romania who used to read cards for money. In the journey she gave me a Queen of Hearts card. Still trying to figure out the meaning of that.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Thats powerful. I met my grand meme' only a handful of times, but I learned from my mother that she read playing cards. So whenever I do playing card readings I call upon her for advice in the reading. Its been very helpful. I don't know if there were any witches in my family or not. It's something I am hoping to find out. I do know I have family that worked with and prayed to the saints and archangels for assistance so I figured that would be helpful.

Ancestral work is a large component of most forms of traditional witchcraft and in various cultural forms shamanic traditions. So its nice when they approach you like that in a journey. Its been a while since I have visited the ancestral realms. My psychic senses and ability to meditate at all or get into trance have been limited for a while. I've started to dream again so I think that I may be able to try again soon. Most of what I have shared was experiences several years ago that still resonate with me and that I remember clearly.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

i should start calling on my great grandmother when doing readings. Ive started practicing with the Gypsy Witch cards and I connect with them. They are similar to what my great grandmother used, and it was my mother that gave them to me. Plus she gave me the cards my great grandmother used to use for readings and I cant find much information on them. They are pretty interesting though. She used these in conjunction with playing cards.

Return to “Shamanism”