Samhain

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Altairtigris

Samhain

Post by Altairtigris »

My path isn't clear to me yet and I'm new to this. I was wondering whether or not to do anything for Samhain? Would this be a good time to contact certain gods/ goddesses, or to ask for guidance. Or am I likely to be inviting in knowledge I'm not ready for?
DPhoenix

Re: Samhain

Post by DPhoenix »

Altairtigris wrote:My path isn't clear to me yet and I'm new to this. I was wondering whether or not to do anything for Samhain? Would this be a good time to contact certain gods/ goddesses, or to ask for guidance. Or am I likely to be inviting in knowledge I'm not ready for?
Those are some good questions. You may get different answers but in the end go with your instincts.

I have a couple goddesses & gods I work with but I've never done a dedication ritual to any of them. I kind of consider myself a 'free agent'... even though one Goddess has been trying to recruit me for a couple years now.

There's nothing wrong with you celebrating Samhain and if there are certain gods or goddesses you want to contact and work with, there's nothing wrong with that too. Infact I would encourage you to work with a few different ones before actually dedicating yourself.

As far as inviting knowledge you may not be ready for... that can be kind of tricky. I've seen some initiates do fine when paranormal things begin happening. I've also seen some that were not ready and it scared them away from the craft. This is where I believe knowing & having a good relationship with your spirit guide is imperative. It's there to guide you & protect you when you venture into the supernatural/paranormal.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions. :)
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

It answers a lot of questions thank you :)
And also brings one up...how do I make a start on establishing a good relationship with my spirit guide? I feel that there has always been someone/ something trying to guide me and point me in the right direction, but is this my spirit guide?
I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm such a novice :D
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Spirit guides can come in the guise of different things. Mine is Crow though some may appear as angels, people even abstract thoughts & feelings. At first you'll probably get thoughts & impulses to do things you normally wouldn't do... that's usually your spirit guide trying to prod you in the right direction toward a lesson you need to learn or toward something that's ultimately for your highest and best (though it may feel uncomfortable and scary at the time).

For the beginner I usually recommend getting into a deep meditative state. When I teach I usually have my students do a deep meditation infront of their altar at midnight on a full moon infront of a lit candle. The candle color doesn't matter, infact it's usually best if you randomly pick one... the color you pick often times will correspond to the attributes your spirit guide will have.

Relax your eye and stare at the candle flame. Begin relaxing your entire body beginning with the top of your forehead and work your way down loosening each muscle as you go. Breath deeply through your nose and exhale through your mouth... this should be long gentle breaths like the ebb and flow of an ocean wave. You'll know when you're ready to move onto the next step when your head feels like it is floating and your consciousness merges with the collective consciousness. (In other words you may feel a little trippy)

Once you've reached the deep meditative state begin visualizing... see yourself in a peaceful surrounding (maybe a forest, maybe a beautiful Roman Palace, maybe in an ice cave or the depths of the ocean... where ever feels right)

Then begin exploring... take notice of what you see, hear and smell. It's common for your spirit guide to be timid and hide so it may take a while and a few attempts before it reveals itself to you but if you keep trying it will happen.

Some may disagree but I tend to think of spirit guides as disembodied spirits with no real form... the form they take is a representation of the attributes they possess. For example, Crow comes to me but it's not really the spirit of the Crow, it's a representation of what the crow stands for. Yours may come to you as an animal (real or mythical), angel, person... you never know.

If you search the forums there are some really great posts on this subject. Hoped this post at least helps you get started or at the very least gives you some information & ideas to think about.

Good luck & Goddess Bless! <3
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

Thank you DPhoenix, that's a great help.
TheGirlOfSecrets

Post by TheGirlOfSecrets »

Just do something really simple! It's my first Samhain as a Witch too, so I'll tell you my plans:

I'm going to light a black candle (at my altar) and spend a short time thinking about what has happened since the last Samhain. At this point you can remember anyone who's died (even if it hasn't been since last Samhain that's ok too.) I'll then blow out the candle (I know some people say to only snuff but to be honest I don't see the point) because I only have one candle holder lol... then I will think what I want to achieve by next Samhain. After that I'm going to do a divination for myself and my friend and maybe some family - you can use whatever method you want, google for ideas. Then, you can eat a shit-load of food (lol) and drink (if drinking alcohol drink responsibly, I'm only 13 so I won't drink, maybe I'll just have some cranberry juice or something) in honour of people who have passed away.

If you can't be asked to do a ritual (or you can do this as well), you can visit the grave of a loved one, and just talk to them - the veil is at it's thinnest!

Anyway good luck, hope this answered your questions - indirectly - blessed be :flyingwitch:
I am always never not broken.
Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

Good ideas there. I'm hoping to contact my spirit guide tomorrow at midnight, so I have a bit of protection and guidance. I'm planning on making a candle for Samhain, not sure on the colour yet, I'll choose a colour at the time I think ( unless it has to be black). I'd like to speak to my dad and my gran who have both past on, also hoping one of my ancestors will make an appearance. I won't be drinking, I'm not tee total but I'm not keen on the taste of most alcohols. I think I'll do what you said and reflect on the past year, also the future year and give thanks and see if any deitys contact me.
I'm also going to eat lots of food and have the day off from exercising :D
TheGirlOfSecrets

Post by TheGirlOfSecrets »

Have a good Samhain, hope to see you around EUTM :wave:
I am always never not broken.
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Altairtigris wrote:Good ideas there. I'm hoping to contact my spirit guide tomorrow at midnight, so I have a bit of protection and guidance. I'm planning on making a candle for Samhain, not sure on the colour yet, I'll choose a colour at the time I think ( unless it has to be black). I'd like to speak to my dad and my gran who have both past on, also hoping one of my ancestors will make an appearance. I won't be drinking, I'm not tee total but I'm not keen on the taste of most alcohols. I think I'll do what you said and reflect on the past year, also the future year and give thanks and see if any deitys contact me.
I'm also going to eat lots of food and have the day off from exercising :D
I think that's a great first Samhain for a solitary.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
tilarium

Post by tilarium »

I'm in a similar place you are, Altairtigris. While I've been studying the Craft for many years on my own I've never had any form of initiation. For the last several years I've worked on Samhain, either volunteer work or more recently my regular job (I work the over night shift and many people take the night off to trick or treat with their younglings). This year I've made plans to have the night off (though I think my boss never entered my request into the computer system) and late into the night/early in the morning I plan to do a few small practices. I just recently bought a house for myself and my parents, though none of us have moved in yet due to repairs and updates being done. I'm planning to go there and take advantage of the Sabbath to reflect and meditate on the right path and the year to come. I also plan to bury an apple in the yard as a tribute to the Goddess and the Spirits, I read years ago that it was a good practice on Samhain but can't find the source anymore. Basically candles, meditation and some scrying to make for a good night.
Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

I hadn't heard of the apple thing. I have an apple tree in my garden and had a huge bounty of apples from her this year. I've made as many apple pies, crumbles and jars of chutney as I can face and there's still tonnes left :D So I have one too hand if I need one to bury. Bit concerned about my tree though. There's a strange fungus growing where the previous owners chopped branches off. I've been feeding and watering her ( and talking to her :D ) and she bore a lot of fruit, so hopefully I won't need to have my apple tree chopped down.
I don't have any tools of the craft yet so I'm a bit limited. It'll be lovely going to your own place and being alone to meditate. I hope your boss has put your leave in the computer by then.
lazihex

Post by lazihex »

Meditation should be your foundation for any venture into anything on this side of the tracks. Meditation will center you, open you up , strengthen you, in meditation you meet your guides, in meditation you find your instincts, meditate. Meditate and become extremely adept at going into that space easily. Then your ready for Any magical workings. In fact, the mind set you need, to do workings, is found through meditation. If you can't align your consciousnesses , chakras, etc. , the workings will fall flat anyways.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”