Using psalms in magick

American Folk Magick, Hoodoo, Appalachian Granny Magic, Ozark Mountain Magic, Pow-wow Magic, and other types of folk magick are discussed here.
misswhit88

Using psalms in magick

Post by misswhit88 »

Has anyone used psalms in magick before ? If so how did it work out for you?
Kassandra

Re: using psalms in magick

Post by Kassandra »

That's a common hoodoo practice, and many practitioners find it very effective. Most people on this board, however, are Wiccans, Heathens, or otherwise goddess-worshippers and don't practice Biblical Psalmic magic (that I know of, I could be wrong), so you probably won't get much more of a response beyond this one (lol, I didn't want to see you left hanging).

Personally, I prefer to write my own stuff and not use pre-written things like Psalms. Or, if I do use a pre-written thing, I tend to alter a line here and there to make it mine, energetically-speaking. I like hoodoo, but, I think I'd feel like a phony reciting a Psalm to a Christian god in a spell, when I don't believe in Him in the first place. That just seems wrong.

Do you practice hoodoo? And if so, do you find the Psalms effective in your workings, or have you tried it?

Here's a post I put together regarding Psalmic Magic.

misswhit88

Post by misswhit88 »

Hello thank you for responding. Well im new to the pagan path and im currently sort of in limbo. Im not sure which direction i want to go . It will either be wicca or hoodoo. I believe in the christian god but i also believe in a goddess. I have been pulled towards oshun. Oshun is an orisha goddess and i just absolutely love her. I have been writing my own spells i can write poems so i sort of turn my poems into spells.

I started off doing candle magick mostly because of the fire element . And i think its because of my astrological sign which is aries. My spells seem to work subtly i think i need more practice. But i use to be a practicing catholic and that in my opinion isnt to far from paganism . Especially the holidays and sabbats. And the dying and rebirth of the goddess. I dont believe in the bible wholely but from my experience there is some power in the psalms . In the words.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Well, I don't know, maybe study both for a while and follow your heart as to the direction in which you should go later on. Follow your own soul's time schedule, and don't feel like you have to decide soon, or give an explanation about where you're at at the moment. Since you already have developed a relationship with Oshun, an ancient West African goddess, it seems your heart has already led the way, somewhat.

Oshun is a motherly goddess, so you are in good hands. Interestingly, there are many Wiccans who worship gods and/or goddesses of the Egyptian pantheon. So, should you choose to follow a Wiccan path, yet still want to worship Oshun, you certainly won't be the first Wiccan to worship an African goddess: Bast, Isis, Hathor, Sekhmet, etc., are all Egyptian, hence all North African goddesses in origin...you'd be in good company.

And keep in mind, at its essence hoodoo is purposely not religion-specific (though there are many religion-tinged variants), so even an atheist could practice hoodoo spells. lol :wink:

An artist's interpretation of Oshun from Doreen Virtue's Ascended Masters
oracle deck.

misswhit88

Post by misswhit88 »

thank you soo much... omg they have a oracle deck for her I'm dying lol I want it so bad. But thank you for the advice. I cant wait to be fully involved. How did you start out?
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Oh, ha, the image is not from an Oshun deck...it's just one card from an oracle deck that has many other gods and goddesses in it, called The Ascended Masters Oracle Cards, published by Doreen Virtue. :wink:

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Some of the spells I have seen that work with the psalms include ripping them out of the bible and burning them. I honestly don't know how I personally feel about that. I feel that its disrespectful to such a sacred text. I can understand copying it on to paper and ripping the paper apart or just the part of the verse needed in that respect (which is how I would probably adapt the spells) and burning that to to burn a piece of the bible...I don't know.
random417

Post by random417 »

loona wynd wrote:Some of the spells I have seen that work with the psalms include ripping them out of the bible and burning them. I honestly don't know how I personally feel about that. I feel that its disrespectful to such a sacred text. I can understand copying it on to paper and ripping the paper apart or just the part of the verse needed in that respect (which is how I would probably adapt the spells) and burning that to to burn a piece of the bible...I don't know.
If that's an older thing, from before everyone could just run to Barnes and Noble and grab another bible, there may have been an element of sacrifice to it as well, but I agree with you. Nowadays is unnecessary and disrespectful. I don't work with that, but I'd probably try with a copy of the page in question
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

random417 wrote:If that's an older thing, from before everyone could just run to Barnes and Noble and grab another bible, there may have been an element of sacrifice to it as well, but I agree with you0
That may be it. There was also symbolism in the passages often burned.
random417 wrote:. Nowadays is unnecessary and disrespectful. I don't work with that, but I'd probably try with a copy of the page in question
See this is what I was thinking. I would do the same thing for basically and sacred text of lore where I was told to trip out and burn a passage for a ritual. I find all sacred texts to be worthy of respect to a certain extent. Basically I wont burn or defame any sacred text, but I don't have to agree with it to respect it. Sacred texts are sacred plain and simple.
mrsdavid1975

using psalms in magick

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

You can hand write them. I feel anything you write by your own hand is showing more to the universe that you are willing to put yourself into your own work.

I've used psalms.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've done a 9-day psalm spell for cleansing when I thought I might have been ill-wished. I see no reason to cooperate with someone's spite. It relieved my mind of all concern over the matter.

Return to “Folk Magick”