Samhain?

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
TheGirlOfSecrets

Samhain?

Post by TheGirlOfSecrets »

Hi everyone, so what are you doing for Samhain? I'll tell you what I'm doing:

I'm going to light a black candle to represent the year that has gone, then spend a short time thinking about what has happened since the last Samhain, also including anyone that has died (I'm thinking of my brother's friend that died). Then I'm going to light a white candle (I'll have to blow out the black candle first just because I don't have another candle holder) and think of what I want to achieve by next Samhain. After that I'm going to do a divination for myself and maybe loved ones. Finally I'll have some food and drink in honour of people who have passed away, and just celebrating the season.

I might mark the day by visiting the grave of my nanny, but I don't know if I'll be able to go to another village so I might just go outside the house to visit my hamsters grave and just spend some time talking, because they may be able to hear me. Also, I'm not sure whether I believe in Summerland or reincarnation or anything, so BQ: What do you believe in?
I am always never not broken.
Heartsong

Re: Samhain?

Post by Heartsong »

My brother and I are going to have a celebration ritual tomorrow night, then do a little divination, maybe scrying, with our great-grandmother's massive cauldron. Also, all of my siblings are coming over to my house and are going to be carving turnips as jack-o-lanterns to decorate. ^_^
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Zale

Post by Zale »

Ok question i read in wicca for the solitary practitioner that blowing out the candle is considered for a lack of a better term rude. Is this true?

Blessed Be
TheGirlOfSecrets

Hi Zale, a lot of Witches think it is disrespectful to the element of fire to blow out the candle, and Witches say never to blow out a candle, only to snuff, but I don't see how it's disrespectful as the flame is going to be put out somehow anyway.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

The way I look at it, and this is totally my empathy talking here, is that, if I were a flame, I'd prefer if you snuffed me out. Blowing out the flame is a forceful action, a strong gust of wind to extinguish an existence (I say this because I firmly believe that lighting a candle in a ritual is the same as inviting the sentient element into your circle). Snuffing is a much more gentle practice and in that way, more respectful. You aren't pushing an element against another in order to dismiss its presence.

I hope that makes sense. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

If a candle is used in a spell it really needs to burn all the way out, if it is a working candle (just used to illuminate the place, or to represent something) then it is best to snuff. The theory of blowing out a candle is to blow the magic away.
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
TheGirlOfSecrets

I totally respect your opinion. Of course, when you're doing spellwork, it's best to let the candle burn itself out. But in real circumstances, especially if you have financial problems, every time you do a spell, you're not going to want to have to buy a new candle every single time. http://www.wicca-chat.com/candlemagic.htm This website is useful but I disagree with it in a few ways. It says "The candles you use of any type of magical use should be virgin, that is unused." I understand that it's probably best to use a virgin candle, but under some circumstances that is not possible. Anyway, off topic. Let's agree to disagree.
tilarium

Post by tilarium »

For me, late tomorrow night I'll be going to my new house where I can assure my privacy. I'm going to cast my circle, light an orange candle as a symbol of the night. I'll then anoint a black candle and white candle, using the incense and flame of the orange candle. The black candle will be lit while I meditate and reflect on the following year and all that has happened. The white candle will then be lit for my to meditate on the coming year, hopes and dreams for it. After that the black candle will be lit again alongside the white and orange candles while I try my hand at scrying. I haven't tried much before in the past and this seems like the perfect time. Aside from the candles I'll also have a bottle of cider, an apple and freshly cooked pumpkin seeds which I will consume while offering to the spirits as they pass through this world.

As this is my first Samhain where I am able to perform a ceremony, I am open to suggestions from others. What I'm not sure is the type of incense to burn or what to use for anointing the candles. I'm still rocky on making a circle too. Anyone have any other ideas of things that could be done? I just looked through my rather meager supplies and found parchment, doves blood ink, 2 white and 1 black feather, Graveyard dirt, a loadstone, iron fillings, sulfur, coffin nails, a black velvet pouch, 3 white linen pouches and holy water. For incenses I have currently Myrrh, Amber, a forest blend, Frankincense, Copal. and Dragon's blood. I'm planning to head out later today and early tomorrow to get some more supplies if anyone has suggestions.
TheGirlOfSecrets

This is my first Samhain also. To be honest, I would always do what feels right, don't think of it as 'copying' someones ritual, it's just taking ideas and forming them to be your own. It doesn't even matter what words you say in a ritual, it's more of what your actual brain is thinking. But, I think your plans for Samhain are perfect. Even if you just google "Witchcraft Samhain Ideas" then guess what? It'll give you some ideas :mrgreen: surprise? Lol, but seriously, I think you are doing just fine, you seem to have a good idea of what you're doing. Tomorrow I'm going to write in my Book of Shadows what I'm planning, but usually I don't stick to it as you may say 'religiously'. Lol, get it? Aha, I'm lame. I got my Samhain ideas from Bad Witches Blog, which despite it's name is actually a really good place to get information! Also, is anyone going to be doing any spellwork? To be honest I feel quite ill so I hope I'm up for it tomorrow. Also, I'm planning on talking to my hamster like I said, but I'm worried trick-or-treaters are going to walk past and cccooommmpppllleeettteeelllyyy ruin it all for me. Emphasis on the 'completely' lol. The Samhain Sabbat is considered to be one of the most important holidays for Pagans, and specifically Wiccans. You could catch apples, peel apples, make a pumpkin lantern, complete all your unfinished businesses, you can try scrying, leave food on the streets for birds and other animals, place photos of the deceased on your altar, light a special candle, visit the graves of your ancestors, tell stories and legends, arrange a mask ceremony, just some basic ideas. Here's a website http://www.pagangate.com/wicca/ideas-for-samhain/ blessed be:)
tilarium

Post by tilarium »

I hope that everyone had a good Samhain the other night. Mine didn't go as planned, but I tried to make the most of it. The weather was rainy but I still tried to perform my ceremony outside, which failed. Inside didn't go much bettr and ended with both of my small moss agete bowls that I've had for for almost 10 years falling and breaking! In the end I sat in the dark with my incense and a single white candle. The house is empty as me and my family have yet to move in. It was peaceful and I got to listen to the sounds of the house as it's the first time I've been there this late. If it wasn't for tinnitus I would have also said it was quite.

Kyle
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi...Kyle sorry about the moss agate bowls, that made me sad. I wondered if you will be smudging the house before you moved in??
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
tilarium

Post by tilarium »

I've thought about doing that, actually, sense before the sale was final but I'm not really sure how to do it or what I need. The bowls breaking was really crappy. I've dropped them several times over the years and never had them even so much as chip. I see all the problems as a way to tell me that doing the ceremony was not a good idea. I had an uneasy feeling the whole time I was waiting for the rain to let up and while I was preparing. Things went from mild problems and progressed up until the bowls breaking. The rain, my constantly spilling the chalice of cider, the matches, the charcoal, and finally the bowls.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”