Beyond the Basics: What Should I Study Next?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
QuestionableEnergy

Beyond the Basics: What Should I Study Next?

Post by QuestionableEnergy »

After reading the solitary practitioner I am not sure were to go from here..I have printed out the vocab and their meaning and also all the herbs and how they can relate to a spell. I am at a point in the book where their teaching rituals spells and so on...Where can I gain more knowledge in the healing and crystal sides of things. My sister guided me to the hippocratic oath which was interesting...is there more knowledge out there in that kind of path?
Last edited by Xiao Rong on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited to take out the all-caps title.
Garnetsun

Re: WHAT TO DO NEXT

Post by Garnetsun »

Hum. Maybe you can begin to read books on a more advanced state ? If you are ready to practice though, you can do a ritual for that too ? Or reasearch what can please you that you didn't find in this book.
Or even begin to write a Book of Shadow, try to test you knowledge by writing it without a book by your side ? It can help you to see what you have, and what you think you should research more. Or maybe what you like the most, and the less in what you have read. As Cunningham said in his book, it is also by questionning what you have read that you grow.
I know that where I live, i can find books on natural healing, either by herbs or stones. Try searching for them maybe, to see which rock do what etc.
I believe you can find books on stones quite easily on internet and libraries! On healing, you can even try books on druidism, they often have a part on that.

Blessed be!
"People only see what they are prepared to see."
Ever changing, ever learning, ever growing.
QuestionableEnergy

Do you have any suggestions on other books or authors that may give me more information? I liked how Cunningham wrote the book..more like a guideline then instructions..very open minded..I started my BOS when I started to meditate and have questions through my reading. The one who originally guided me told me in my BOS to write anything and everything..dreams..meditations..questions..nothing could be wrong in your BOS...I am looking to be on a path of the more natural if thats even how you put it...however I feel such energy that I may expand to more. Just being cautious until I know as much as I can...Which will be never cause there's always something to learn..Not to be confusing..
I have seen you post on a couple of my question..and I am happy that I can get sound advice from you! I send good thoughts and blessings your way!
Garnetsun

Post by Garnetsun »

Thank you ! I really hope i can help you, since i've been in almost the same position. And well, we are here to help each other too, so if i can help you troughout, my day is done!
And indeed, nothing is wrong in your BoS, since it is personal and follow you along your path. You can see your growth and return to things you've written months ago.
Hum, the problem with books, is I don't really know if the author is available in english, since I'm french. If something more natural but has the same roots as Wicca may interest you, I have the author Viviane Le Moullec. She wrote a book about druidism for everyday, which is quite interesting. I don't really know the author, but I've seen a book about the four elements, and how to work with them on different matters, maybe for your healing path ? Also, search for books about the energic proprieties of stones and crystals, and their use for everyday.
Sorry not to be able to give you specific author though. I am not sure if they will be available to you.
QuestionableEnergy

Re: What to do next?

No you have helped greatly..Dont be discouraged just because we have a langue barrier..I am going to go into town and see about some books about the elements and healing. I am just trying so hard to learn and create a stable healthy non judgmental atmosphere for my family. So far how i have been guided has helped a lot. I am not quite sure because everyone says their opinion..but I haven't casted my first circle, spell, and or ritual..I have just projected my natural energy...So before I decide fully if I am going to dedicate myself I am interested in all knowledge. However the one thing I am certain of is healing and natural energy path I will take..as far as the rest..I am a more seeing is believing type of person..
Garnetsun

Post by Garnetsun »

I am sure you can find some books about stones, herbs, and gardening in general in your town. It's quite the basics. Maybe try on the internet for something more advanced.
For more about the craft, Cunnigham wrote something for more advanced wicca if i remeber correctly. I also found e-books that are quite interesting about Witchcraft and Wicca (and paganism in general). Try here too ! Especially if you want to know a lot. Maybe try to find a book about meditation, visualisation and grouding too, since you already work with energies. Or try to find on this forum :)
I haven't done any rituals or spells, nor did I cast any circle yet. I feel i am not ready for that, but I pray and meditate quite a lot. It is thanks to that that I found my spirit animal! So maybe, try to work on that too, since it doesn't need many things except yourself and time.
If you are this type of person, meditation can work a great deal. I wasn't really sure of my path, nor of my connection with the Deities until I prayed for a guide, and a vision appeared. Since then, I grew more confident on this path.
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

If you liked Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, then I highly recommend his Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. It is written in the same "guide not instructions" manner, and answers many of the questions you've been asking on this board.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

In the same vein, I would recommend Nocturnal Witchcraft by Konstantinos and Green Witchcraft by Ann Moura. Both authors provide a great deal of information and how to practically apply it. They also give excellent lists, references, correspondences, and are generally a very interesting look into just how varied the paths of Wicca can be. :flyingwitch:
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
QuestionableEnergy

I thank you for all the recommendations. I will try to read them all. However most my knowledge may just come from here. I am not in a position to just go out and buy 5 books...but eventually I will. I am trying to do a lot of my "education" online and so far its been great. I can sorta tell who's information (like youtub) is real and authentic..All my choices from this time on I will do in confidence and pure intent.
Garnetsun

Post by Garnetsun »

I know that I found Cunningham's further guide as a free e-book. Maybe try for it ? There is a chance that you can find the ohter one too. Or maybe for a smaller fee, if not free of charges.
We have the chance to live in a world where many things can be reached by the internet!
I have a few scans on Green witchcraft and herbal books that I haven't read yet, i can find a way to copy them for you maybe, if you are interested ?
QuestionableEnergy

Garnetsun wrote:I know that I found Cunningham's further guide as a free e-book. Maybe try for it ? There is a chance that you can find the ohter one too. Or maybe for a smaller fee, if not free of charges.
We have the chance to live in a world where many things can be reached by the internet!
I have a few scans on Green witchcraft and herbal books that I haven't read yet, i can find a way to copy them for you maybe, if you are interested ?
You know that would be great. I was looking for the free ebook but it wouldnt load. So I am going to see if there is some way of getting it today. I would love to read the few scans you have..Can I send you a message on here with my email? I dont want to post for everyone to know...
QuestionableEnergy

Garnetsun wrote:I know that I found Cunningham's further guide as a free e-book. Maybe try for it ? There is a chance that you can find the ohter one too. Or maybe for a smaller fee, if not free of charges.
You know that would be great. I was looking for the free ebook but it wouldnt load. So I am going to see if there is some way of getting it today. I would love to read the few scans you have..Can I send you a message on here with my email? I dont want to post for everyone to know...
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

I have a bunch of free ebooks on my site. Feel free to download anything you might find helpful! :)

http://www.themagicknook.com/ebooks/free-ebooks.html
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
QuestionableEnergy

Thanks DPhonenix..I will look into them
QuestionableEnergy

Your webiste isnt showing any ebooks..When i click it says something about copy write and thats it

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”