Good Field Guide?

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Agarwaen

Good Field Guide?

Post by Agarwaen »

• Does anyone know of some good field guides? Herbal or edible plants. Something that has photos of the plant, lots of different varieties of plants, good brief information, and can be used to identify a plant. Small enough to not be cumbersome while hiking or exploring the woods.
    I have glanced at a few, but I don't remember which ones they were. Also, Peterson's medicinal plants and herbs didn't cut it for me. I live in an area that can be argued to be either eastern of central north america.

I'd also enjoy having reference or more study books to keep at home.

If you have any favorites please share!
Heartsong

Re: Good Field Guide?

Post by Heartsong »

Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs is an excellent source book. It has pictures and a pretty good overview of plants and their correspondences, medical uses, etc. My only gripe with it is that it doesn't provide regional information about where certain plants grow. Other than that, I highly recommend it. I'll link you to the amazon page here. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Cunninghams-Encyc ... +Herbs+%5D
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Agarwaen

Re: Good Field Guide?

Post by Agarwaen »

• Thank you for reminding about this book! This is one of the ones I had been meaning to buy. Though not for this purpose. I am certainly interested in folklore and the magickal purposes of herbs, but right now I am looking for scientific knowledge. Actually, I'm trying to decide if I want to be an herbalist or not...

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”