Would you help somebody learn about Christianity...?

Discussion of Christianity and other religious systems. How can we explain our faith to Christians? How can you merge your faith in Jesus with your belief in the metaphysical?
valerian moon

Would you help somebody learn about Christianity...?

Post by valerian moon »

If that was their chosen path? My little brother has recently shown an interest in the Christian bible but he is too young to read big words, so I read it to him sometimes. Would you do this?
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
themulberrydoge

Re: would you help somebody learn about christianity...?

Post by themulberrydoge »

I would, if that is a path they showed interest in.
dreadedpsychopomp

Post by dreadedpsychopomp »

Probably, if it was in my power and responsibility to do so. Regardless of how I may feel about it, Christianity is a valid path for some so as long as the one I'd help doesn't end up looking down on me, it would be worth it.
Soni

Post by Soni »

I wouldn't... simply because I believe that religious path is something that a person with a consent should choose themselves. Showing an interest isn't same as following that path, most likely he's not mature enough to understand. But that's just my opinion. When I have my own children I'll let them first discover their own spirituality before ever introducing them to any religious belief. With that said, I also think kids until the age of 15 should be kept away from any institution that stinks of ideology.

Being raised a Christian I also know that Christ himself said that in order to welcome God (through baptism), a person has to "listen to, understand and accept the word of God". More than likely your little brother can't do those things (and sure all those babies can't). Every person baptized in the Bible was an adult, Jesus himself was over 30.

But of course if the person seeking help with learning about any religion was mature and I had sufficient knowledge, I'd help if I could or at least point them in the right direction. Young children are very easily influenced, so I'd be careful not to manipulate their will... which is exactly what the country does to them anyways.
TheGirlOfSecrets

Post by TheGirlOfSecrets »

I would, but I would tell them about Witchcraft too, but only subtly. Like, I wouldn't mention it directly. I wouldn't just show them Christianity.
I am always never not broken.
Soul

Post by Soul »

Hi. :)

I'm quoting Soni below because I believe much the same about the issue. Having been born into Christian religion and spending 51 years of my life in it, learning it (including its various forms, beliefs, practices and history), living it, and loving it -- until I realized how complicated it is and what the darker aspects of it are, I would not expose any child to Christian religious indoctrination. And even in discussing it with an adult, I would point out the negative aspects of Christianity.

Sorry, but I would basically warn everyone that the Judeo-Christian religion with its OT god of war, violence, and antagonism toward Humanity is at the least unhealthy, and counter-productive to Human enlightenment and evolution. I understand that some Gnostics believe that the NT Heavenly Father of Jesus is "Abbas" (?) who is actually an entity of good, light, love, and is totally pro-Human; and Yahweh the god of the OT is the dark and evil god. I suppose that differentiation would work for some people, but it still takes careful reading, studying, and sussing it all out. A person would be hard-pressed to discern this distinction from only the canonical scriptures. You would need outside sources as well. Most people who never were Christians, or who were merely nominal Christians, have never really looked closely at the evil and darkness of the OT god's character and behavior. (This is the issue that eventually led to my deconversion from the Christian religion.)

I do not believe that all paths lead to the same destination. And I do not believe that all paths are good for human beings. Most of all, I do not agree with the majority or popular sentiment just because other people do. Independent thinking and discernment are vital in choosing or following a path, in recommending one, or facilitating someone else in any path.

Peace,
Soul
Soni wrote:I wouldn't... simply because I believe that religious path is something that a person with a consent should choose themselves. Showing an interest isn't same as following that path, most likely he's not mature enough to understand. But that's just my opinion. When I have my own children I'll let them first discover their own spirituality before ever introducing them to any religious belief. With that said, I also think kids until the age of 15 should be kept away from any institution that stinks of ideology.

Being raised a Christian I also know that Christ himself said that in order to welcome God (through baptism), a person has to "listen to, understand and accept the word of God". More than likely your little brother can't do those things (and sure all those babies can't). Every person baptized in the Bible was an adult, Jesus himself was over 30.

But of course if the person seeking help with learning about any religion was mature and I had sufficient knowledge, I'd help if I could or at least point them in the right direction. Young children are very easily influenced, so I'd be careful not to manipulate their will... which is exactly what the country does to them anyways.
Eliphas Blackthorn

Post by Eliphas Blackthorn »

My oldest child had shown interest in Christianity when he was younger so I sent him to sunday school and to church and anything else Christian related that he wanted to be involved in. It's not my job to determine the direction his soul wants to take. My kids have my full love and support in the things they wish to pursue. He still has Christian leanings to this day and that is fine.

My daughter is the opposite and she comes with me to feed the land spirits and to meditate. She is only 8 so it's pretty darn cute. She once had a nasty nightmare and immediately wanted to ask the land spirits for help and so we baked some bread and headed out to the woods. It was a calm sunny morning and she very earnestly asked for their protection and told them how scared she was by the bad dream. Out of nowhere the wind whipped up all around us and shook every tree and blew us around very hard for about 10 seconds before going quiet again. Her face lit up and she sais "yep they heard me" and we left. She's my magical little stinker but I'm proud of them both.
corvidus

Re: Would you help somebody learn about Christianity...?

Post by corvidus »

xxmoonxraverxx wrote:If that was their chosen path? My little brother has recently shown an interest in the Christian bible but he is too young to read big words, so I read it to him sometimes. Would you do this?
I would! The Bible is an interesting book. But I would make sure he knew about the other Holy Books as well -- the Koran, the Torah and Tanak (it's different then the Bible) and the Vedas and especially the ones I've left out. I'd also make sure he knew that no single interpretation will ever do the Great Mystery justice in its explanation.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

I would have to disagree with Soni. If you show interest in a path, you have the right to be taught about it, so that you can make a valid and educated choice about your religion in the future. You should read the bible to him but in a neutral way and remind him that other things are out there.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Badgerstate

Post by Badgerstate »

Sure. Why not? There is no 1 spiritual path that is correct and theres no reason not to.

Return to “Christianity and Other Religious Faiths”