What you do for Sabbats

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Klia

What you do for Sabbats

Post by Klia »

Hello all!

I haven't posted a topic in a while so I thought I'd go ahead and get curious! I would like to know what YOU do for Sabbats. With Yule coming up, I want to know what to do in my ritual. I believe Esbats are for magick and thanking the Gods, but what do I do when I cast a circle for the Sabbats? This will be my first time celebrating a Sabbat. I didn't do anything for Samhain because I wasn't ready. But since I am now super dedicated and taking this even more seriously, I want my first Sabbat to be special.

So what to do? What do you guys do for Yule or any Sabbat? Do you still do spells or is it more of a celebration? Do you cast circles or just feast and pray? I'd love for a lot of feedback so I can understand the Sabbats better.

Blessed be! )O( :flyingwitch:
"The will to do, the soul to dare is yours for the taking if you prepare."
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What you do for Sabbats

Post by Firebird »

Hi Kila, I really like Yule because of all the symbolism in the season...soooo much is rooted in Pagan origins.
We usually have a Yule log as part of the ceremony...starting with a candle (the baby light) and encouraging the growth of the baby, by throwing on the Yule log which burns big and bright.
I'll try to add more later but I have to leave right now.
Xiao recently posted this article about the Holiday, it has some good info...
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ml#p185492
blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Klia

Post by Klia »

Thanks for the reply! I love the traditions of Yule that were popularized by Christianity. I will still put up a tree, luckily my ornaments are only silver and gold. I also plan to stay up all night to watch the sun rise.
I'm just wondering what to do in a circle that night.
miachrhys

Post by miachrhys »

I've been dealing with major depression and fatigue for some time now so my answers will likely be different from other's answers. I believe that a formal ritual, while beautiful, is not always necessary. Simply thinking about the season and what the change along the wheel of the year means is just as strong a way to celebrate. I also tinker with writing poetry and sometimes I can get inspiration from the changing of the seasons.
Klia

Post by Klia »

Those are really good ideas. I appreciate your reply. I guess I have the thought in my head that most people do extra special traditions, parties, events, etc. Maybe just spending time studying each Sabbat will be as sufficient.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Studying doesn't sound so bad. I'd rather curl up with a good book than, well, almost anything. :P Maybe for Imbolc I'll make a mug of tea and indulge in reading something new. :D
Klia

Post by Klia »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't go big or go home ha. As long as I acknowledge it, I'm good?
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Klia wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't go big or go home ha. As long as I acknowledge it, I'm good?
Totally. Love in your heart is worth more than fancy altars, elaborate rituals, or monotone poems. :wink:
miachrhys

Post by miachrhys »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:
Klia wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't go big or go home ha. As long as I acknowledge it, I'm good?
Totally. Love in your heart is worth more than fancy altars, elaborate rituals, or monotone poems. :wink:
Exactly!

I think it is wonderful to do elaborate ritual, get together like-minded friends for a feast, and go on nature walks during the different seasons. I think the biggest thing is giving yourself time to reflect and recognize the changes that are happening and what that means, both for us and for the world around us.
Klia

Post by Klia »

Wow guys. Thanks so much! I just don't want to come off as lazy. BUT this path, for me, is more about the spiritual aspect than the magick making and spells. I am so excited about Imbolc!!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Klia wrote:I am so excited about Imbolc!!
Me too! we have a girl who will be getting her red cord and be initiated into our coven this year :flyingwitch:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Klia

Post by Klia »

Aww that's really great! Congrats!

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”