Alex Sanders

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Lightbringer

Alex Sanders

Post by Lightbringer »

I recently read in a book by the Farrars that whether or not Alex was actually initiated into a Gardnerian coven is questionable, and that they suspected he'd gotten ahold of a Book of Shadows and tweaked it to his own liking to start his own line of Wicca. Do any of you know more about this? Maybe have some book recommendations? It obviously throws a wrench into the "you're not a real Wiccan unless you can trace your lineage back to Gerald Gardner" argument.

I've found a book called Fire Child by Maxine Sanders that might give insight into my question, but I haven't read it yet. I've only just found out about it.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alex Sanders

Post by Firebird »

Hi Lightbringer, We have a pretty good budding book review area, I don't know if the book has been reviewed yet, but you could look through , http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum/forum154.html...or post a review when you've read the book!
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Lightbringer

Re: Alex Sanders

Post by Lightbringer »

Thanks for your response, although I think I've been misunderstood. :oops: I'm asking about Alex Sanders' lineage and only citing a book as my source of information, since I don't know any Alexandrians personally. I was hoping maybe someone here was either Alexandrian themselves, or had done research that I hadn't yet read about.

Funnily enough, in a book I just finished reading (Isaac Bonewits's Essential Guide to Witchcraft and Wicca), he mentions this issue with Alex Sanders, so I thought I would come back and report on it here. Apparently there was some disagreement back in the day as to whether or not his tradition was "legitimate" because he was initiated by a first degree witch rather than someone of a higher degree, i.e. not properly initiated. I guess it just goes to show, some things never change!

Return to “Book Reviews”