Benefits of being a Military Brat

If you love to travel, we'd love to hear about the places you've been. Mountains, oceans, rivers, deserts, Stonehedge, Red Rocks, Grand Canyon... recommend your favorite travel destination and post your pictures!
azriel

Benefits of being a Military Brat

Post by azriel »

While I do not necessarily like the term, I believe growing up a military brat has its pros and cons. For those who do not know, the term military brat is used for the children of military personnel, and more importantly, travel for most of their youth.

I was born in Bedford, England next to a cabbage farm. Hmmm the smell. While I was still young Stonehenge was free of barriers and we could interact with the ruins. I lived there for four years until we moved to Woomera, Australia, a city in the outback. The city is so far from the rest of civilization that we had a butcher, baker and other services come to us regularly since the store food's are drenched in preservatives. From there we moved to México until my father found a house in the US. I lived in Maryland for most of my life until I went to Nagoya, Japan for a few months. After around 3 more years in the US I finally returned to México.

Pros;
Not just military brats, but people who have moved around a lot tend to be more open and accepting of other culture's and religions. They also have an easier time assimilating and learning languages.

Cons;
They tend to be too independent. Not saying that this is a bad thing, but they have a tendency to rely mainly on themselves. They can be restless, loving adventure and never wanting to stay in one place for too long may prove difficult if they want to settle down.

Now, these are just my observations of myself and the other children I grew up with on bases and I am not saying that only these type of people are accepting of other cultures. It can go both ways.

Blessings to everyone,
Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
__Oracle__

Re: Benefits of being a Military Brat

Post by __Oracle__ »

My husband is currently in the army but is getting out very soon. I live near base with him , the military is definitely not for everyone. I am very happy to start are lives soon without the army being involved. I don't look down on anyone who likes being in the military just not for us , we have had way to many negative experiences with the company he is in.
azriel

Post by azriel »

I am sorry for your experiences Oracle. I wish you luck for the doors that will open when this one closes!

While I was happy traveling as a child and most of my friends were not from the base, my father would be stationed in other countries and for many years I did not have my father there. Plus, my mother is a foreigner and some of the other military personnel were very rude to her.

I think I was lucky to have been a child for this part of my life since I only focused on the beauty of the culture I was currently living in. If I were to live that life now, I doubt I would be as happy.

Blessings to you Oracle and I apologize for bringing up sad memories,
Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
__Oracle__

Post by __Oracle__ »

azriel wrote:I am sorry for your experiences Oracle. I wish you luck for the doors that will open when this one closes!

While I was happy traveling as a child and most of my friends were not from the base, my father would be stationed in other countries and for many years I did not have my father there. Plus, my mother is a foreigner and some of the other military personnel were very rude to her.

I think I was lucky to have been a child for this part of my life since I only focused on the beauty of the culture I was currently living in. If I were to live that life now, I doubt I would be as happy.

Blessings to you Oracle and I apologize for bringing up sad memories,
Azriel
^-^~

I'm sorry you didn't get to see your father a lot. As a kid i didn't get to see my dad that much either, he worked all the time. That must have been pretty cool to travel and experience different cultures. I haven't been to far away from the US only to Canada.

That was wrong for them to discriminate again your mom, sadly it is very common still in the military.

Return to “Travel”