Disney's "Frozen" Discussion Thread

Share your favorite music and videos here.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Disney's "Frozen" Discussion Thread

Post by Xiao Rong »

I just saw Disney's Frozen and I LOVED it! I thought I'd start a discussion thread for it - beware spoilers!

---

Okay, first of all, LOVED it! Made me cry in the theater at least twice, funny, emotional, smart plot, great soundtrack ... Super feminist movie, with fantastic female characters who are strong and well-developed, and whose relationship and sisterly love is the REAL centerpiece of the film (as opposed to prince/princess).

Also, I thought the pagan themes were fairly strongly pronounced. The first song "Frozen Heart" is all about the strength and formidability of ice (which is of course representative of Queen Elsa), which greatly reminds me of the rune :icerune:, which is beautiful and dangerous, and is a strongly feminine rune. And, per Scandinavian culture, ice (not fire) is the dangerous force, while fire represents comfort (although this doesn't necessarily ice is evil). Oh, and did I mention that the Elder Futhark has its own cameo appearance?

Plus the narrative of a witch being hunted, but the end result is that she learns to use her magic constructively and for the good of everyone else, and is loved and accepted? I feel like Disney is starting to be a lot nicer to witches in their movies (they used to get crushed by rocks or stabbed by giant ships, but lately they're much more benevolent and even protagonists!) Makes my pagan heart feel all warm and fuzzy! : )

Okay, end rant. Not super coherent, sorry. I'd love to hear everyone else weigh in!

And before I go:

~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
azriel

Re: Disney's "Frozen" Discussion Thread

Post by azriel »

I also saw the movie and loved it as well!

For me, what made the most impact was the relationship between the emotions of the caster and their ability to perform magic. When Elsa was a child and had no fear, her magic was beautiful and she shared it with her sister; the person she loved most in the world.

However, when the family and the trolls told her that people would fear her and she could hurt others with her powers, she started to hold everything in and I could feel her pain. She was hurting herself by trying to contain something as natural as her gifts. She also feared her gifts themselves and that is why she had trouble controlling them.

But, in the song Let it Go, she gains self-confidence and was able to construct that gorgeous palace out of ice.

And finally, at the end where they say "Love will thaw," does not just pertain to her gifts, but to all. For only when we love our gifts and ourselves are we able to perform wonders!

Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
__Oracle__

Post by __Oracle__ »

I must see this !
TraceyC1959

Post by TraceyC1959 »

I wasn't too sure about this movie but the more people spoke about it and the more hype it got the more interested I became and I am not kidding after watching the movie I wanted to watch it again. If you have not seen this movie you are missing out :) such a great movie with a twist that you will not be disappointed with.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

You mention Disney being nicer to witches but do you think they were trying to make her a witch or someone with "powers" more like a mutant? I have always viewed Snow White as a witch, she talks to animals, works with dwarves and is protected by the forest but Disney would never call her one. I haven't seen Maleficent but if it shows how she was wronged and was seeking revenge it might mean a change. Maybe I am reading too much in to it. But Frozen is pretty great. Her parents really messed her up and caused the whole problem that's for sure.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

You mention Disney being nicer to witches but do you think they were trying to make her a witch or someone with "powers" more like a mutant? I have always viewed Snow White as a witch, she talks to animals, works with dwarves and is protected by the forest but Disney would never call her one.
LOL! My boyfriend and I call that "Disney Princess Powers" -- being able to control animals, instant housecleaning skills, bursting out into perfectly choreographed songs, etc. In the song in Frozen where Anna sings about her desire for true love, there's a moment where she picks up some baby ducklings. My boyfriend elbows me and yells, "Disney Princess Powers!" Also applies to when Pocahontas picks up a BEAR CUB in FRONT OF THE BEAR'S MOTHER. Like, whaaattt?

Anyways, I do think that Disney is representing witches in a more positive light. Actually, representing powerful women in a more positive light, regardless of the source of their power. Previously, powerful women (Madam Mim, the Evil Queen, Maleficent, Ursula, the Wicked Stepmother, even the random sorceress in Beauty in the Beast who curses the Beast) were portrayed as evil for evil's sake. In contrast, the princess was generally portrayed as helpless and innocent (with the exception of the Disney Princess Powers); usually, the only time they end up in a position of power is from marrying royalty. More recently, I think we've seen much more positive, empowered "princesses", like Pocahontas, Mulan, Rapunzel, and Tiana.

I think Frozen is the most overt subversion of the Wicked Witch / Evil Queen trope, especially since in the original fairy tale the Snow Queen was inexplicably evil, and Disney made a conscious artistic decision NOT to make Elsa the villain. I think Elsa is a really powerful representation of the Witch as a positive role model, whose journey is not to get the man, or to relinquish her power, but to accept herself and choose to use her powers for the good of the queendom (talk about Shadow work!), and I would venture to guess that's why so many little girls these days are so interested in becoming her (which is great! I would much rather any future daughters I have aspire to be witches than to be princesses).
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

The sound went out half way through the video you shared and the youtube version on youtube was silent the entire time... :-(
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Xiao Rong wrote:which is great! I would much rather any future daughters I have aspire to be witches than to be princesses).

I would second that for sure.
Freya

Post by Freya »

:flyingwitch: Xiao, I love the "Disney Princess Powers" theory! I've never thought about it that way! so true.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

I LOVE this movie! Disney movies are my favorite kind of movies, and this one is great. They really brought life to the characters and picked great people to voice them. Frozen is such an empowering movie to girls.

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I LOVED IT!!! It's beautiful! And I just love Idina Menzel so much! I actually used Let It Go as the song I interpreted in sign language for my ASL class I took this summer! It was so much fun, and I just... I can't even begin to speak about the move. It was just wonderful. I LOVE IT!!! Haha!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
seawitch

Post by seawitch »

I LOVED this movie. I've had the song "Let It Go" stuck in my head for days.
Holdasown wrote:You mention Disney being nicer to witches but do you think they were trying to make her a witch or someone with "powers" more like a mutant? I have always viewed Snow White as a witch, she talks to animals, works with dwarves and is protected by the forest but Disney would never call her one. I haven't seen Maleficent but if it shows how she was wronged and was seeking revenge it might mean a change. Maybe I am reading too much in to it. But Frozen is pretty great. Her parents really messed her up and caused the whole problem that's for sure.
No, I know what you mean. It's like those seen to make potions and stuff in the movies are called witches and seen as evil. Maleficent was pretty good, actually.

Return to “Music & Videos”