HOUSECLEANING WITH MAGIC

Moderator: Kassandra

Kassandra

HOUSECLEANING WITH MAGIC

Post by Kassandra »

Source: pinkcatshop.com/products/bar--lounge-and-den-coasters/coa096-cool-coaster---housework-fascinates-me.-i-can-watch-you-do-it-all-day-long..html

The antidote to housecleaning drudgery is magical fun. When we bring a little earthy magic to our spring cleaning, the result is a deeply nourished spirit as well as a cleaner house!

Here are a few simple ways to discover the joys of cleaning with spirit:

1. SING A SPECIAL SONG AS YOU CLEAN

If you know an earth-centered song, great. If not, make something up. Repeating even the simplest of tunes (with or without rhyming words) can help you relax, deepen, and open. You don’t have to sound like a “professional”–don’t judge yourself, just have fun with it.

2. CLEAN BAREFOOT
This changes one’s perspective, somehow. As you clean, visualize rootlets growing from the soles of your feet, going down through your (clean) floor into Mother Earth.

3. MAKE YOURSELF A CLEANER'S CROWN
After all, you deserve a crown for all the work you do. Ribbon, paper, fake flowers–anything that strikes your fancy–can be used to make one. While you‘re at it, make up a silly name for yourself. If you‘re a warrior-type, you could be Spic n’ Spanna, Fighter of Grime; invent stories about your battles and adventures. Or become Our Lady of Perpetual Mopping; see yourself as a healer and soother, a sort of Mother Teresa of the kitchen. Your crown would be more of a halo. Maybe you’d be happy as the Wise One of the Woods, wreathed with wild grapevine. Find a character that suits you.
disabled.jpg
facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152281848438167&set=a.260243513166.139224.212472838166&type=1&theater

4. CLEAN GREEN
Nothing discourages feelings of connection to the earth like toxic and carcinogenic chemicals. If your cleaning products are filled with them, your inner self can sense it, and it won’t be happy. Check out our care2 channels for lots of simple kitchen-cupboard cleaning formulas, or try some of the earth-friendly products from your local natural foods store.

[Note: Try these natural cleaner recipes contributed by EUTM member, Alura: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum/natural-cleaning-recipes-t24280.html --Kassandra]

5. ADD A STRONG HERBAL TEA TO YOUR CLEANING WATER
Sweet scents and good vibes go a long way toward making your home feel connected to the Great Power. Just boil a couple of cups of water and throw in a handful of herbs, steep for several minutes, and strain the tea into your cleaning bucket.

Source: kitschagogo.com/cst3030-i-dont-do-housework-on-days-that-end-in-y-single-coaster.html

Here is a list of some traditional herb correspondences; choose one or more according to your desire. We don’t usually think of sea salt and basil and apples as magical, but our more earth-centered ancestors knew they were. It is a wonderful affirmation of the magic in the ordinary to use kitchen-cupboard ingredients in magical ways.

APPLES
Food of the Goddess, love. Add a few pieces of fresh or dried apple to your water (but not too much or you’ll end up with sticky surfaces!)

BASIL
Love, fidelity, wealth, protection. A nice all-purpose herb with a luscious summery scent.

CHAMOMILE
Serenity and calm; purification. Smells like a blend of apples and new-mown hay. While you’re at it, make yourself a cup of tea to drink after you’ve finished cleaning; it’s very relaxing.

CINNAMON
Happy home, safety, healing, protection. The primal home-and-hearth spice. Use pieces of cinnamon stick for your brew (the powdered kind will turn into a gelatinous glop in the bucket).

CLOVE
Purification; promotes love and spirituality. Try it with cinnamon–delicious!

EUCALYPTUS
Health, protection. Warm and fresh, actually kills germs.

EVERGREEN
Health, purification, vitality. A few sprigs of pine, cedar, or juniper growing nearby, a few sprigs placed in boiling water will add green freshness to your housecleaning brew.

LAVENDER
Love, friendship, peace, happiness, protection. Such a sweet, relaxing, and calm-inducing scent–and it’s also an antidepressant.

LEMON PEEL
Purification. It’s no accident that so many cleaning products are lemon-scented; lemon smells fresh and uplifting and cleanses negativity.

MAJORAM
Love, protection, antidepressant. You can sprinkle a little of this dried herb in the corners of every room to promote love and safety.

PEPPERMINT
Purification, healing, soothing. A wonderfully relaxing and refreshing scent.

ROSEMARY
Cleansing and protection; clears negativity; encourages clear thinking.

SAGE
Purification, wisdom. It’s no coincidence that the word for ”wise one” is the same as the herb’s name. A traditional ingredient of many Native American smudge bundles, a strong sage tea will help clear your home of negativity.

SEA SALT
Traditional for purification and protection. If you’ve been feeling vulnerable or weird and you only have time to add one ingredient to your wash-water, this could be it.

VANILLA
Love, happiness. A piece of the bean or a few drops of extract will make your home smell and feel delicious.

Source: belle-la-vie.co.uk/product-categories/aprons

and the finishing touch...

6. SMUDGE!!
See our article in the care2 channels on smudging to clear and harmonize the atmosphere. Burning bundles of dried herbs is a traditional way to do this.

* Written by Cait Johnson, Nov. 2001
* Author of Witch in the Kitchen: Magical Cooking for All Seasons
* Source (for this, and other articles by Cait): http://www.care2.com/greenliving/author/cait/page/29

Source: etsy.com/listing/120073695/well-that-takes-care-of-the-housework

dreaming of clean house.jpg
Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

azriel

Re: HOUSECLEANING WITH MAGIC

Post by azriel »

These are fantastic! I need to make myself a crown for my next cleaning spree!

I cannot agree more with the sans-chemicals point. For those who are sensitive to chemicals in the first place, cleaning supplies could seriously damage the body.

My family always used green supplies or homemade soaps, but when I went to college my roommate claimed that I never cleaned the bathroom because it did not "smell" like bleach. I decided to use her "supplies" but because I am sensitive, I chemically burnt my nose and now I suffer from chronic nosebleeds. Story of my life.

One question, which of the teas would be best for preventing negative energy from entering?

Blessings
Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Haha, yeah the crown, I think that's everybody's favorite part. Brings out the kid in us, and let's face it, anything to get us to have fun with the necessary evil of doing housework chores is welcomed, anything.

As far as preventing negativity from entering, that would fall under the umbrella of "protection." If you glance back over the brief descriptions for each of the herbs, you'll see the ones that lists protection as a one of its properties. Also things that say "dispel negativity," and so forth, would be good for this.

azriel

Post by azriel »

Thank you for the help Kassandra!

One of the reasons I am interested in repelling energy is that I live in a house with a family surrounded by negative energy and there have been many times where it has felt unbearable and I had to leave the house. Afterwards, I will be more then happy to bring in positive energy!

Blessings to you!
Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

I love this idea! They are all so up beat, any advice on getting motivated?lol..
Ok.
I'm just adding some helpful how-to's on what you all have mentioned. Because some of us are just so damned busy, it may cut some time down.

First off, this is completely strange coincidence, but I have a tiara. (my sisters wedding gift to her maid of honor) so I would totally grab that as opposed to making one. Why not? And if you have a little sister, daughter, niece, grand daughter, that may have a girly streak.. Borrow theirs! My daughter, before she grew up, had those plastic doll crowns. It may be a touch small, but this isn't a beauty pageant, let's reuse! Save on that enviroment, and your wallet from going out to buy anything!
.. Or, instead of a crown, one of those sashes. If you have some clothes, a old towel, get a marker, cut according to your build, and place "Beauty cleaning Goddess" or whatever your heart desires.. On it, and wear that like the domestic Goddess you are!
Kassandra mentioned tea herbs when mopping.. Well, I grab those single tea serving sized herbal teas from Whole Foods then, cut the bag and let those herbs fall into your cleaning water.
I know some people have herbs growing right in home, but, in my living situation, and those who don't have space or time to grow their own, this option helps! And I would grab my sage bundle from smudging and but a portion into your preferred size, and add to your water. (keep that sage out for the smudging, later)
That tip on barefoot cleaning.. Awesome one. I gotta say, I'm barefoot any chance I get. So, as soon as I feel grime when walking through the area, I'm thinking.. Broom, mop.. Nice opportunity to swish your home made besom around the place to get yourself in the wonderfully beautify awesome "magickal" place in your mind and spirit. (and get your chants and songs, and poems ready, !)
Being barefoot helps remind us to keep on top of it.. Not let things get built up.
This is important to those new parents that have babies crawling around and sticking EVERYTHING in their mouths.. Or fur babies..
An issue I had, with delegating , my minions didn't move things.. (chairs, microwave, blender, large vase to keep big utensils in, ect) think to make a mental note to check that if your if minions do the same!
If you have air filters.. Make sure to check, by that I mean CHANGE them monthly! They build up quicker than you may think if you use your air conditioner/ heater regularly. (this also helps greatly for dust build up!) and allergy issues for you and yours.
If you do laundry, and use a dryer, that lent can be recycled into an old toilet paper roll. Keep doing this, and build up a good supply ..if you have a fireplace, this is a most awesome form of kindling come winter time fires to keep the home warm and save on that electricity bill!
If you don't dry your clothes that way... Good for you, your saving a ton of cash on your electric bill, and the enviroment) (and your way better than me, I just don't have time..

Another tip, and it isn't for home cleaning, is to reuse your towels.. All your doing, after you regularly shower is removing water from your body, it's still clean! Hang it up on the towel rack, let everyone know it's yours.. Note : depending on how many herbs you use in your ritual baths, you may need to shake out that towel, or, if you just can't stand it, wait for tub to drain completely and use it to grab those herbs that stick to the walls and bottom of tub. Another great tip, depending on your drain, is to take those small tea strainers and put that in the drain when you take the plug out. It saves those herbs from clogging, and having to call a plumber!! Just grab those herbs out when you start to see too much gather and water to stop draining effectively. (my friend showed me that in the kitchen drain, and I just couldn't get over how much of a genius idea he had!) wanted to pass it along.
It also may be a good idea to start a rule of taking off shoes at the door. For one, keeps things cleaner.. And you will not have to find your kids shoe when they get absent minded! The shoes (regularly worn, not talking about keeping them there if they are heels) will always be near the door! Take this idea with a grain of salt if you don't wear a pair of regular shoes most days. AND if you have a big household, you don't want your front door piled up with tons of shoes.. So, it really depends on your living enviroment. (or if they stay on a covered porch or whatnot)

Kassandra, thank you so much for your posts. You got my mojo going and gave me great ideas.. And I hope you don't mind that I added..

Hope your mind gets buzzing about how you can see cleaning as an opportunity more than a chore..
Blessings,
)0(

MOTHERofDRAGONS
Kassandra

Re: HOUSECLEANING WITH MAGIC & children :)

Post by Kassandra »

I'm glad it got your mojo going, and add all you want, thanks.

I love the tiara idea. How fun! Think I'll go by the dollar store, they probably have some in the birthday or toy section. And yes, a besom to do a metaphysical sweep of the place is a must.

Getting little minions in on the action is a great idea, shouldn't be hard to do if there's music playing, and cleaning is made to seem like a fun game. I could see it now: "Let's work hard. The Goddess herself will be visiting at 6 o'clock this evening to inspect our cleaning work, so let's do a good job for her!" lol. Asking a kid if they'd make a cleaning crown for you of construction paper and crayons would probably turn out quite lovely. Perhaps, before starting to clean, one could have an "opening ceremony" with incense invoking friendly fae folk to drop by and please help with the cleaning. Afterward, a little offering of home made snacks could be left on the altar as a thank-you to them. Kids love imagination and play...well, so do I actually, lol.

Great suggestions.

MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

I just love reading older posts. So I'm so glad I wandered into this one. You have a knack for many Witchy things. I see you have many topic ideas and helpful links, with your name as the poster. You have my respect! (and that's hard to come by, wink)

Hope you have a Blessed Ostara!

)0(
MOTHERofDRAGONS
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Thank you for your kind words, MOTHERofDRAGONS .

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I do this once a week. Its been a recent change in my life but the environment in general seems much more positive. In time I hope to be using home made natural cleaning supplies. For now I work with what I have on hand. I see no reason why a swifter wet towel can't be used for magic as effectively as a home made charged water or cleansing supply. I simply charge it and the actions with my voice and my mind and it works very well.

I have started to add in a few magical powders for the weeks blessings after. I include the removal of the used powders as part of the cleansing. They have done their job now its time to replace them and use something new. So far the combination of the cleaning and the applications of the powders has been a wonderful way to incorporate magic and my housework.

I am the stay at home "wife" basically. I have an at home business and even if I do have a job outside of the house I am still home more often than my partner. So one of my house duties is to try and keep the housework up as much as possible. Its also my job to take care of the dishes and ensure that out place looks nice. For the first few months we moved it was just ok cleaning day. Now I feel like I can add my spirituality and magic into the practice and really start walking my path and not just doing it sporadically as I had been in the past.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

I love this post! I love all your posts (even though you've scolded me a few times, not without reason though), youre very clever! My favorite part is the singing!
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.

Return to “Kassandra's Metaphysical Basics”